Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Games You've Attended As A Neutral

L/H White

follwoing on from the itallian thread

Rangers v Celtic, good atmosphere, league was already wrapped up at the time, so could have been better

City v CSKA Moscow, rubbish and cold

Koln v Stuttgart, unreal experience

Various non league games

Went to Barcelona to watch the derby. Was sat on the back row of the biggest stand. Froze my bollocks off for a 0-0 when Messi didn't get off the bench til the end cos they had a Champions League game the next week. Eidur played though, which was nice.

Went to Everton v Newcastle (1 - 0, Lineker pen) around mid 80s in the Gladys st. end.  Think they won league that year; and a young Gazza, Beardsley and a fair few other decent players on show.  First match I'd ever attended that was on MoTD :)

Nothing that exciting but we went to see the odd City game sometimes as kids if Bolton were away down south.   I think my Dad's idea was he wanted us to see some top flight football, but there was never a doubt who we supported;  probably more for my brother's benefit as he had the potential to do something.

An England U21 match at Turfmoor; went with the school team.  Cant even remember who they were playing?

Edited by madthatter

Loads of Everton with our kid and plenty of Blackpool.

Highlight being Blackpool getting knocked out of FA cup by hendesford and a fan walking across the pitch to hand Gary Megson his season ticket.

Went to Preston and watched running battles across Moor Park with sticks and golfing brollies on a Friday night.

NAC Breda v Ajax - Unreal experience. loads of lads booting off when Ajax scored. not gesturing full on booting fuck out of each other. mental. 

PSV v Breda - Great atmosphere. the fans did a protest against wifi being installed in the ground. 

Hamburg v Bremen - German derby day was decent. German football is ace

ST Pauli - Great atmosphere again. fans are mental. not as good as HSV imo though as you soon just end up on the Reeperbahn again and away from the "Matchday" experience. 

Germany France in Brazil 2014. good times wearing and England shirt in the German end giving the French Shit. 

Loads in the Euros last summer too. watching any football abroad is ace imo......especially if you can get garp with you the aids riddled mungrel. 

follwoing on from the itallian thread

Rangers v Celtic, good atmosphere, league was already wrapped up at the time, so could have been better

City v CSKA Moscow, rubbish and cold

Koln v Stuttgart, unreal experience

Various non league games

would you say thats the best you've experienced? 

Best atmosphere as a neutral was definitely River Plate v Boca Juniors - absolutely crazy experience.

At the opposite end of the spectrum, been to a couple of Notts County away games. Their FA Cup win away to Sunderland was a good day out, mind.

Done a few over here; Chorley game, couple of City Champions League games as a steward, a few Notts County games one or two others... a few of those were entertaining but felt absolutely nothing for any of them.

Done Dortmund, Bochum, Hertha Berlin, about 5 non-league clubs in Berlin, Fiorentina and Pisa but by far the best match day experience, atmosphere and everything surrounding the whole match day was a couple of games at Union Berlin. Really recommend it to anyone especially if you're feeling jaded with football at home like I was.

Would love to do some games in Argentina, Jol_BWFC, looks on another level! Would also want to see some games in random places, J-League, MLS etc.

Speaking of Argentina, look at the state of this

https://twitter.com/barrabrava_net/status/978309795332620288

During my time at uni did plenty of Cov games as i was a steward there,

Villa v Manyoo in the FA cup we sat behind the benches 2 of our group were reds and fucked off onto the pitch when united scored the winner, leaving us to face a stand full of angry villains.

Mansfield V Notts County with a uni mate

Wiggin V Pompey the year everything went to shit for Portsmouth possibly the worst game of football i've ever seen, only redeemed by pompey fans having a massive relegation party in the away end.

Abroad

Sparta Prague - 3 times in Prague

SV Hamburg v VfL Bochum

Arminia Bielefeld v Bayer Leverkusen

Barcelona v Valencia

UK

Seen Cambridge Utd about a dozen times, including 3 at Wemberlee.

Loads at DMBs (work related) and the Massives (early/mid 80s)

Sunderland v Middlesbrough on a Tuesday night

Blackburn - 2/3 games work related, can't remember who they played as it was a free bar.

Blackburn v Reading

I think that's it.