Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Games You've Attended As A Neutral

L/H White

Blackpool Blackburn when our game at Oldham got called off

Quite a lot of Bolton turned up, had a ruck in the blackpool end - got taken around the pitch as coppers thought we were blackburn, and ending up having a bit of bother with Blackburn fans - good day out!!

Done a few Sheffield derbies when I was at Uni there

Man Utd v Barcelona

Bury v Rochdale

Celtic v Kilmarnock

Roma v Juventus

Barcelona v Celta Vigo

Barcelona v Villareal

Man Utd v Crystal Palace 

Real Madrid (can't remember who they played, but won 5-0)

A few Stockport games (used to go in the away end when Bolton weren't playing)

A few Hyde games

Never quite the same - but have enjoyed the foreign ones.

Speaking of Argentina, look at the state of this

https://twitter.com/barrabrava_net/status/978309795332620288

Nowt that can't be recreated in the West lower, that.

Babelsburg in the German fourth or fifth tier a few years ago was great. Small compact ground with terracing on one side. Loads of chanting and able to drink in the stands.

• Moderators

Notts County v Morecambe and away at Wigan  (twice) and Rochdale

Sheff Weds V Man Utd

Sheff Utd V Barnsley & West Brom (in away end)

Peterborough V Cambridge (away end)

Stockport V Solihull Moors

Wigan V Newcastle (away end)

Lazio V Reggina

Bordeaux V Rennes

Union Berlin V someone

Germany v Sweden at WC 2006

highlight was probably Germany v Sweden, but Union Berlin was ace as well for reasons already mentioned re: German football

and there's a possibility I might be going to Utd Arsenal next month but don't tell anyone

Edited by ZicoKelly

Roma v AC Milan in Rome, Jan 2017 on one of those "football tours".

Shite game, think it was 0-0 and a fairly empty ground, but it was great to see Totti come on as a sub, still class even at close to 40. The fans went mental for "El Capitaaaaaaaaan" when the sub was made, me shouting louder than any of them.

Everton v Newcastle at Goodison a couple of years ago when I got free tickets through work and went with a mate who's a blue. The pillars in the stand blocked half the fucking pitch from view.

I'm sure there must be others but that's all I can think of at the moment.

Went to Lazio v Steaua Bucharest a few weeks ago in the Olympic Stadium in Rome. 5-1 win for Lazio & an Immobile hat trick made it a great game to watch. Stadium was half empty apart from 6000 Steaua fans & the end full of neo Nazi, anti semetic ultras that I accidentally booked us into.

Took my eldest to Barca v Valencia a couple of years ago & got a cracker - 3-2 away win to Valencia - Barca's first loss there in 18m. Saw a Messi penalty at our end & Jordi Alba was sent off.

Best one was El Classico at Barca. 2-1 home win, Matthieu & Suarez for Barca & Ronaldo for Madrid. Managed to get front row tickets (it's not what you know!).  Could have sold them for a couple of grand each outside.

Other matches;

Koln v Bochum (2nd Div still 51000 on)

Koln v St Pauli this game right up there for atmosphere plus attending with a Koln bar owner helped immensely.

Brazil v Ghana WC 2006 in Dortmund fantastic (3-1) The fat one scored two cant believe how quick he was over ten yards rest of the game passed him by (Ronaldo)

Middlesborough v Newcastle even had a drink in the Spartan before the game never seen so many notrights.

The abuse Boro gave to their own team from the Holgate would eclipse anything dished out by Bolton fans.Not sure it was 1-1 but Jimmy Phillips was playing (got dogs abuse)at Ayrsome park

Edited by Take Hunt Off

Anyone putting scum games, surely you didn't go as a neutral, you'd of wanted whoever the bastards were playing to win, right??

Ha - yes exactly !!  Was in the Stretford end exec seats when they beat Barcelona to get to Moscow (shite day out), but in a box when they lost to Palace in the cup !!

Burnley Vs PNE Sunday Night early 2000S in the pne end(went off royal after)

wolves vs PNE Random Tuesday Night early 2000s again

Wigan Vs Wolves the day 1 Wolves scattered about 500 wigans Kids.

plenty of corporate Munich shite in PL ECL AND Cups.

Burnley Vs PNE Sunday Night early 2000S in the pne end(went off royal after)

wolves vs PNE Random Tuesday Night early 2000s again

Wigan Vs Wolves the day 1 Wolves scattered about 500 wigans Kids.

plenty of corporate Munich shite in PL ECL AND Cups.

Was that a play off semi that first one?

Done a few Sheffield derbies when I was at Uni there

Man Utd v Barcelona

Bury v Rochdale

Celtic v Kilmarnock

Roma v Juventus

Barcelona v Celta Vigo

Barcelona v Villareal

Man Utd v Crystal Palace 

Real Madrid (can't remember who they played, but won 5-0)

A few Stockport games (used to go in the away end when Bolton weren't playing)

A few Hyde games

Never quite the same - but have enjoyed the foreign ones.

YOU BIG PINK BASTARD

Done a few over here; Chorley game, couple of City Champions League games as a steward, a few Notts County games one or two others... a few of those were entertaining but felt absolutely nothing for any of them.

Done Dortmund, Bochum, Hertha Berlin, about 5 non-league clubs in Berlin, Fiorentina and Pisa but by far the best match day experience, atmosphere and everything surrounding the whole match day was a couple of games at Union Berlin. Really recommend it to anyone especially if you're feeling jaded with football at home like I was.

Would love to do some games in Argentina, Jol_BWFC, looks on another level! Would also want to see some games in random places, J-League, MLS etc.

Speaking of Argentina, look at the state of this

https://twitter.com/barrabrava_net/status/978309795332620288

Bit like Gigg Lane !

Done loads.

Best rangers v Celtic and hibs vs hearts

Suspect most big derby games are good due to atmosphere though

Although not the same in anyway as watching your own team no matter what. Proven by the celebrations of those around you which are just like when I’m watching bolton

Can`t say I was neutral but as a kid I was at Old Trafford - I know - it was a trade off as a misguided mate of mine at the time was a United fan who had accompanied me to Burnden the previous week. It the day of the Blackpool stabbing. When I was later home than expected my mum was panicking thinking I had gone to Bloomfield Road and got mixed up in the trouble. 

Did lots of city as a kid , then oldham or burnley when we way down south as a teenager

Shit myself a few years ago when i took the daughter to watch Chelsea play Blackburn. ended up in top tier at Darwin end with thousands of pissed up cockneys singing about dirty northern bastards.

Too many on our row to sit down and those behind all  facking hell mate sit down

Didnt feel right being in there