Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Games You've Attended As A Neutral

L/H White

Derry City v Sligo rovers at the Brandywell. Proper shite level of football but a great night out in Derry after.

City v Spurs. Berbatov looked world class.

City v Norwich. Should have stayed at home watching corrie.

• Moderators

City v Spurs. Berbatov looked world class.

not sure if underrated is the right word, but he was much better than he was given credit for, probably because he came across as lazy and not arsed

not sure if underrated is the right word, but he was much better than he was given credit for, probably because he came across as lazy and not arsed

He had a lot of attributes of Anelka. "I ain't running for that shit" but would make the effort when he knew it would lead to summat.

Derry City v Sligo rovers at the Brandywell. Proper shite level of football but a great night out in Derry after.

This maybe something for a completely new and different thread but you've just struck a right chord with me

I've spent a lot of time over the years working in Northern Ireland and I always refer to Derry as "Derry" rather than "Londonderry"

Used to get quizzed by the locals as to whether I was a British left-footer. They couldn't quite work out how I always (and will always) refer to Derry as "Derry" rather than "Londonderry" due to seeing the Derry City result on the teleprinter every week on Final Score when I was growing up in the 70's. Londonderry is just plain wrong. Think of the world in terms of football rather than politics or religion and we are reet!!!

To me it will always be Derry. Purely based on the fact that I grew up hearing Derry City's results

Not sure why anyone would want to stick London in front of a towns/cities name and to be honest I don't actually care

So long as people like me and you don't ever get dragged into a big argument about it then I'm happy that we disagree. Let those with different agendas worry about it 

• 2 weeks later...

Loads of Sheff Wed games when I was student in the Megson/Varadi era

Quite a few Liverpool games around the same time - couple of student mates were scousers so went with them a few times

Everton in the Andy Gray Div 1 title-winning year (seeing a girl from Edge Hill teaching college at the time)

Arsenal vs West Ham early 80s - some of the worst violence I have ever witnessed in the streets surrounding Highbury

Crusaders a couple of times when I was over working in NI (my Dad turned out for them back in the day)

City over the past few years when my brother has had a free spare

Managed to get Imre Varadi's autograph when I went to see Bolton lose to Derby at home earlier on this season.

As a young lad went to Springfield park for an FA cup game v Northwich Victoria cracking atmosphere and great game, could of ended up being Wigan fan after that game enjoyed it so much if my heart hadn’t already been stolen by BWFC and Burnden Park.

Edited by Mounts Kipper

As a young lad went to Springfield park for an FA cup game v Northwich Victoria cracking atmosphere and great game, could of ended up being Wigan fan after that game enjoyed it so much if my heart hadn’t already been stolen by BWFC and Burnden Park.

I remember going to Spingfield Park for a FA Cup replay against Trashmere - Wooly backs beat Wigan 1-0 and I felt sorry for the minnows. How times change and hate them now

• 1 year later...
On 28/03/2018 at 01:35, bolty58 said:

Been to loads of games not involving Bolton or England but the term 'neutral' shortens it quite a bit. Only a few where I have not been arsed who wins. Really struggling to come up with:-

Margate v Weymouth once when on holiday (late 60's)

Milan v Reggina (2006 ish)

Burnley v Everton (late 60's)

Wollongong Wolves v Sydney Croatia (Trevor Francis guesting for the Wolves)

Liverpool v St Etienne

Liverpool v Grasshoppers Zurich

Struggling now. Been to loads at Gigg Lane but always wanted the opposition to win. Loads of Rangers games but, obviously, always wanted the Gers to win, Malaga games where I was with Los Boquerones, Napoli and Salernitana games in the Campanians camp.

Surprised the list is so short. Must have been others I can't think of at present.

Going to Naples on Friday and Salernitana player Livorno on Sunday. Can you usually pay on the day or do you have to sort em beforehand? 

Oxford v QPR Milk Cup Final in the mid 80s, got tickets through working at Rochdale FC at the time, when each club in the league got a small allocation. 

Liverpool v Man U at Anfield, again mid 80s, sat in main stand where you'd imagine those around you being a bit more measured in how they viewed the action. Then Norman Whiteside set the tone after about 5 mins by kicking Craig Johnston up in the air. Measured they were not.

Couple of World Cup group games in 1982, Argentina v El Salvador and Belgium v Hungary. Went from Benidorm on a coach full of Belgians who were a jolly bunch and made it a load of fun

42 minutes ago, Marc505 said:

In my experience at Serie A and B games you have to buy in advance and have ID when purchasing and entering the stadium.

They're pretty tight with all that in Italy... Unless you're a well connected ultra, like 

Cheers mate. 

47 minutes ago, ianofcleveleys said:

Oxford v QPR Milk Cup Final in the mid 80s, got tickets through working at Rochdale FC at the time, when each club in the league got a small allocation. 

I had free travel and a free ticket through similar means for the FA Cup final when Latics beat Man City. Didn't take it up just in case Latics won. Clearly I made the right call.

Perth Glory v Wellington - bit of an away day for Wellington, 5,225km between them.

Paderborn v Bochum - Nobody cared that we are twinned with them and no decent pubs in the town.

Frankfurt v Nuremberg - Frankfurt have the best home fans I've experienced. However, I went to watch them against Stuttgart away and their fans didn't sing until the 70th minute as their 'top boys' were held outside the ground. As soon as they were let in the singing commenced. All very odd.

Mainz v Wolfsburg - Friday night game last season, coldest I've ever been at any football match ever.

Various Euro 2016 matches - the pick being Hungary 3 - 3 Portugal in Lyon.

Toronto FC v Columbus Crew - Good nachos

Spurs v Citeh - the week before last. What a stadium and they serve really good beer brewed on site.

Edited by Super Bock

• Site Supporter

Charlton v Norwich around 76, was in London with my parents & pestered them to go to a game. Wanted to go to Arsenal though. Liverpool v Bristol City 77ish with a mate who was a red. Everton v Spurs 88 with a bluenose. Wigan v Wet Spam, Spammers 2 up at ht & lost 3-2 when Sheff Utd got relegated. Oldham v West Brom last game of the season when we won 4-0 at Charlton but the Baggies went up. Citeh v Manure 79..it was bedlam round the ground. 

1 hour ago, Mr Grey said:

United v Liverpool * 1987

a few Bury & Wigan games when the Whites didn't have a game 80's

Koln * v Munchengladbach 2016 

United * v Chelsea 2017

United * v Burnley 2018

United * v Seville UCL

Spurs v United * FA cup semi 2018

United * v Chelsea FA cup final 2018

United * v Reading FA cup rd 3 2019

Fulham v United * 2019

United * v Cardiff 2019

City v United * League cup semi 2020

I'm my defence, one of my best mates is a United fan and sometimes as a spare, I do tag along if i fancy it and the whites haven't got a game. I may even tag along to the new Spurs stadium if he gets a spare in the ballot.

Cant believe I was in the Scouse *scoreboard) end in 1987 (again tagged along with a Scouse supporting mate at the time) Everton won the league that day, so small mercies. Peter Davenport scored in a 1-0 win for United, around 36k on. Ticket priced at £2.80. Still about 10% of my weekly YTS wage.

We’re you really a neutral at the Utd games?

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Mr Grey said:

United v Liverpool * 1987

a few Bury & Wigan games when the Whites didn't have a game 80's

Koln * v Munchengladbach 2016 

United * v Chelsea 2017

United * v Burnley 2018

United * v Seville UCL

Spurs v United * FA cup semi 2018

United * v Chelsea FA cup final 2018

United * v Reading FA cup rd 3 2019

Fulham v United * 2019

United * v Cardiff 2019

City v United * League cup semi 2020

I'm my defence, one of my best mates is a United fan and sometimes as a spare, I do tag along if i fancy it and the whites haven't got a game. I may even tag along to the new Spurs stadium if he gets a spare in the ballot.

Cant believe I was in the Scouse *scoreboard) end in 1987 (again tagged along with a Scouse supporting mate at the time) Everton won the league that day, so small mercies. Peter Davenport scored in a 1-0 win for United, around 36k on. Ticket priced at £2.80. Still about 10% of my weekly YTS wage.

A reddish grey???