Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Burton Albion 2-0 Wanderers

burnden

• Moderators

Something’s not right with the team. It’s not just players not being good enough. There is something wrong. To deny that is mental.

Really does seem to me that they stopped playing/performing after villa when everyone thought we were safe

There were no issues in the second half when having a go against barnsley and the reactions to our goals shows they want this

I just think complacency crept in,

confidence has gone and parky is at a loss as to how to get their heads straight

It was the international break. Something must've happened behind the scenes IMO. Maybe players or Parky got tapped up. Let's face it, we were heading for mid table at that point.

At first I thought it was just a pisser to have to wait two weeks for the Leeds game but as I say, I reckon something happened.

If we'd beaten Villa on Good Friday, then played Leeds on Easter Monday, we would've got a result.

Pratley ran himself into the ground yesterday, with the exception of Alf the rest looked like they didn’t want to be there

I didn't get that impression at all. Ameobi, Morais, Beevers, Ptatley, Robinson, even Buckley looked well up for it in the 1st half. I just dont see the lack of effort others see ( I make an exception for walker in his last appearance).

It was the international break. Something must've happened behind the scenes IMO. Maybe players or Parky got tapped up. Let's face it, we were heading for mid table at that point.

At first I thought it was just a pisser to have to wait two weeks for the Leeds game but as I say, I reckon something happened.

If we'd beaten Villa on Good Friday, then played Leeds on Easter Monday, we would've got a result.

Hard to disagree with this. Really wouldn’t surprise me if Ken started contract talks with some and low balled them and pissed them off.

It’s quite likely as there was talk of contracts round about then.

Doesn’t take much, just a few being pissed off and dropping a few percentage points to go from Villa to what we see now. Fine margins.

The whole team is out of form, a poor team really struggling. Vela has seemingly got worse once Madine went. Long balls to alf often see him in no man's land chasing defenders as they pick up our long balls and start their own possession. Last year at least we had some ball and created some chances.

This season; nowt.

I'm reluctant to single any one of them out for heavy praise or heavy criticism, as for me the issue is on the training pitch.

I'm not sure anyone is out of form, apart from possibly Henry who was excellent until his injury. Ameobi and ALF are playing at an acceptable level (a cut above the rest), Morais and Noone do good things whenever I see them (but PP has used Buckley and Vela more, unfortunately). Pratley isn't a championship player, neither is Taylor and arguably Beevers. Vela definitely isn't. So for me this is the level they play at, it's up to parky to pick the better players, and yesterday was near to his best 11 with ameobi finally in his best position. It gives me some hope for the last 2 especially if noone replaces Buckley.

Really does seem to me that they stopped playing/performing after villa when everyone thought we were safe

There were no issues in the second half when having a go against barnsley and the reactions to our goals shows they want this

I just think complacency crept in,

confidence has gone and parky is at a loss as to how to get their heads straight

When we went 2-1 up at Barnsley PP made a defensive change and we defended too deep for the remaining 10 minutes - we cant defend so why go defensive

Prat of a manager

For Burton we need to start with the eleven that turned it round at Barnsley and attack attack attack. Hull beat them 5-0 only a couple of weeks ago by being positive

• Site Supporter

So all these teams that lose to city or Barca or Munich

Is that due to players being better than others or is it coaching

I know the answer btw

Like wigan?

Of course plenty of teams have players who may be better than ours; but plenty of teams have managers who I believe would get more out of the ones we've got.

We've spent most of the season chasing the ball rather than using it and I reckon it's coming back to bite them now as they're knackered.

Hard to disagree with this. Really wouldn’t surprise me if Ken started contract talks with some and low balled them and pissed them off.

It’s quite likely as there was talk of contracts round about then.

Doesn’t take much, just a few being pissed off and dropping a few percentage points to go from Villa to what we see now. Fine margins.

None of this happened.

It’s fare to say every one of them was up for it until the first goal went in , even upto the second went in we were still in the game. But as of previous games ( Brum , Millwall, Preston ) heads went down, it’s a lack of confidence obviously, we are in a real trough and some of them don’t look like they can drag themselves out of it .

When we went 2-1 up at Barnsley PP made a defensive change and we defended too deep for the remaining 10 minutes - we cant defend so why go defensive

Bullshit!

Dervitte came on in injury time

Nothing to do with tactics or PP.

Collectively we failed to defend a corner properly

Correct, only one team in it then and we should have gone and bagged another.

The other thing for me, was after villa too many people seemed to think we were OK and since that point, apart from second half at Barnsley we have been crap.

I liked the Noone Alf combo at Barnsley. I thought Noone was looking to play Alf in with balls to run onto rather than Alf with his back to goal. I would like to see Noone get a start at Burton. First 10 minutes get sami on the ball running at them, we need to give them something to think about

Just seen Darren bent plays for this lot now. Am I imagining it or has he got a knack of scoring against us? In a Jason Roberts kind of way.

Chuck in Lloyd dyer and Sordell with Bent as well, they’ve got more attacking options than we have.

Edited by Mounts Kipper