Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Guimarães Memories

Carlos

• Site Supporter

falling asleep in the square with my ticket on my lap.

waking up 10 mins after kick off with an egg cracked over me and ticket gone.

stumbled to the ground and bought a new ticket for peanuts (think they charged me a quid)

fell asleep again inside but woke up just before Vaz Te's goal

• Site Supporter

My mate and meself decided to work on the principle of when in Rome.....ect and set about supping port in Porto at brekkie time started in a sort of port boutique sampling stuff at about 600 quid a bottle and carried on on the rough stuff all day more or less matching other lads beer for port remember nish about the game and the day after in over 40 years supping can guarantee i've never felt so rough

Can’t remember if it was there or Marseille where Pete jumped in an ice cold fountain.

Was deffo there he got lamped by one of our fans and spent most of the game with a paramedic.

We all got tear gassed when we scored, Brixton got a face full.

Ended up in some mad techno club with randy west. He threw up all over the gaff and bailed. I stayed till the end frapping about in my henri loyd coat.

• Site Supporter

Ginger Horwich lad bollock naked on a table or chair on the square & everyone pelting him with ale..more than one tripping over the chain surrounding the square & falling face first...the old dear with big hair on her balcony getting the "Ivan Campo" treatment...loads of pissed up lads thinking they had hit the jackpot at the ground paying top whack for non alcoholic lager.

Finchy throwing ale over the little Portuguese kids singing for us in the square.

Pissed up Lads tripping over that chain around the square.

Gartsdide showing up.

Feeling a bit emotional at all our flags and the singing outside Martins bar and the square, with fascinated local watching us all day!

The local supermarket increasing the price of Superbok once they realised how many were turning up!!

Started at about 1€ per can.

As already said the low chain were so many tripped up!

Got interviewed by Portuguese TV. I said they better not run out of ale in my best Bolton accent...

They did the same in the first bar/cafe all the coaches descended upon in the morning. Started out at 2.5 euros a pint then rocketed to 5 euros an hour or two later. Just a ploy to get rid of us I'm sure but there was no trouble there. Took us about 5 hours to find the non square square. That and collapsing on the plane from dehydration on the way back.

Walking into THE square and seeing all our flags was just something else.

Time to go; time to go when they started to leave the stadium

Following a band from the square with about 500 whites was special

The feeling that Bolton have the best support in the world

Edited by RUREADY2ROLL

Stayed in a five star hotel in Porto full

Of notrights so funny .Some Rangers fans in there could not believe their antics.

First night when Rangers played Oporto Andy Gorham was sat the corner of a bar hammered couldnt even speak.

It kicked off a little in the square when some Bolton fans got a little ambitious

with the large Rangers contingent .

Fantastic day after I got a bit ambitious with the superbok supply of bottled beer for the journey up to Guimaraes ended up hiding a carrier bag full in a tree near the stadium got called fit to burn but heyho plenty beer for the coach journey back to Porto.