Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Guimarães Memories

Carlos

Some underground late night drinking den after the match.

Drinking zero alcohol in the ground but not knowing about it until days later.

Lots of beach balls.[/quote

I sold most of them

Big E must have sold the rest. First time I met him. Been down hill ever since!

• Moderators

This square everyone talks about with flags on balcony’s etc. I’m sure we were on another square the one with the fountain or were they the same one?

The fountain was on Toural. The square is Santiago.

Wasn't the fountain just down the road from Martins bar?

Martins was quality after the game with Guimaraes fans on one side + Bolton on the other - all good natured and not a hint of lumber.

Seem to remember some of the staff had Wanderers shirts on + they got drank out of Port by 11pm.

Remember going in our digs the day before the game and the landlady provided us with two crates full of superbok between our mob in the room, a mystery bloke showed up and started supping with us without saying anything, then just wandered off. We surmised it was the Man In Black. :)

• Site Supporter

I was on the WW trip, a great couple of days away. The cabin crew looked a tad rough on the flight home.

Turning into the square was an awesome sight, felt like we’d arrived on the European stage as a superpower. We were up in the top tier, level with Ricardo Vaz Te when he cracked us level. That’s just about the only bit of the match I remember

Remember going in our digs the day before the game and the landlady provided us with two crates full of superbok between our mob in the room, a mystery bloke showed up and started supping with us without saying anything, then just wandered off. We surmised it was the Man In Black. :)

Just checked back for one of my favourite WWs posts of all time; Widnes's description of bumping into you at Guimaraes:

" ..... and Leigh White who was unable to stand or speak and seemed to have been abandoned on a chair in a bar "  :rolleyes2: 

Just checked back for one of my favourite WWs posts of all time; Widnes's description of bumping into you at Guimaraes:

" ..... and Leigh White who was unable to stand or speak and seemed to have been abandoned on a chair in a bar "  :rolleyes2: 

It had been a long day, managed to sober up in time for the game though. :)

It had been a long day, managed to sober up in time for the game though. :)

:whistle:  :vava: There was no time on that trip anyone was sober on that trip but whoever tripped over the chain while managing to save the 2 pints they were carrying I doth my cap at