Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

7 Years Ago Today

famouswanderer

Was in Benidorm for a weeks holiday with the family, picked as it should have been Fulham away in the league. You never think you will get to the FA SF.

Bumped into a load of BWFC lads we knew who were on a stag do, booked for similar reasons, and many who flew back early on the Sunday for the game.

Thanks fcuk I had more sense, although I seriously considered it.

LIttle did we know on that day, that it was the beginning of the end............................... 

truly awful is losing at burton

stoke doesnt touch the sides

seriously, villa hurt more

wanker holdsworth

We'll likely have another chance to beat Burton. There is always another season in the league to correct even the worst performance in the previous one.

We might not see another FA cup semi final in our lifetimes. That is why for me, Stoke hurt most. We were safely mid table and apart from injury to Holden were doing fine. There was little reason we couldn't have won it. I'd love to see us in an FA Cup final. 

Daniel Sturridge papered over a lot of cracks in the last couple of months of that season.

We may have even dropped that season but for him.

form was shaky before that game, he scored a bag full in that time then we went on to lose 5 of 6 inc Rovers & Blackpool.

thankful i fucked them off tbh 

form was shaky before that game, he scored a bag full in that time then we went on to lose 5 of 6 inc Rovers & Blackpool.

thankful i fucked them off tbh

Spent the whole summer thinking we’d drawn 2-2 away at Blackpool :D

We'll likely have another chance to beat Burton. There is always another season in the league to correct even the worst performance in the previous one.

We might not see another FA cup semi final in our lifetimes. That is why for me, Stoke hurt most. We were safely mid table and apart from injury to Holden were doing fine. There was little reason we couldn't have won it. I'd love to see us in an FA Cup final. 

Aye but sooner or later we'll get to an FA Cup semi; and certainly no reason why we can't.

BUT the thing that made the Holdsworth miss so painful was that we missed out on the chance of summat unique and historic and that can never, by definition, be repeated. To be in the first and last Cup Finals at the old Wembley. No amount of Middle-East money can buy that; but we had our chance. Or he did. I can still picture it as it happened; makes me feel ill even 18 years later.

Aye but sooner or later we'll get to an FA Cup semi; and certainly no reason why we can't.

BUT the thing that made the Holdsworth miss so painful was that we missed out on the chance of summat unique and historic and that can never, by definition, be repeated. To be in the first and last Cup Finals at the old Wembley. No amount of Middle-East money can buy that; but we had our chance. Or he did. I can still picture it as it happened; makes me feel ill even 18 years later.

Will we?

Our FA Cup record recently has been fucking dreadful

I’d be surprised if we reach another semi in my lifetime

Will we?

Our FA Cup record recently has been fucking dreadful

I’d be surprised if we reach another semi in my lifetime

To be fair we’ve reached 2 fa cup semis, 1 quarter final as well as 2 league cup finals and a semi final in the past 25 years.

Not a bad cup history for a little club like us.

The boro match was the biggest gut wrencher for me. I just wanted to see us win something.

• Moderators

The boro match was the biggest gut wrencher for me. I just wanted to see us win something.

Aye And its because we came so close and then found ourselves 2 down so quickly

Coming close to something remarkable is why the lisbon debacle is brought up time and time again as well

Villa hurt but losing 5-0 at Wembley is one of the worst days I have experienced watching bolton

Said to the Mrs at 3-0 "if we get one back we'll stay til the end ". Seconds later it was 4-0, left straight away.

Cunts.

Has to be the worst day of my life following us

The atmosphere on the car park outside The Reebok was awesome as everyone was piling on to the coaches

Me, two daughters and my mate's lad. Got loads of photos from early morning with us and loads of other fans. Loving it

At 5-0 I'm sat there with loads of empty seats around me, some cunt smashing the seats to pieces in the row behind me, and thinking what a great idea it was to get the coach so I have to be here til full-time. Full on serious set-to with Stoke fans right at the front of our coach as I'm trying to get the four of us on board and then the "drive of shame" out of the Wembley carpark being abused and pelted by those in-breds

After that game at Burnden when we won 1-0 (Julian Darby) and the Stoke fans loved us I thought that they were OK

After Wembley I hated them with a passion. Then they relegated us but I'll just about forgive them for that. Coyle relegated us. But oh how they celebrated. And once again Brain of Britain here had gone on a coach and had to face the drive of shame off their car park

I sincerely and utterly hope the cunts do a Sunderland and drop right down two leagues consecutively 

• 2 weeks later...

We were meant to be staying over. My dad was having bone of it and we got the train straight home.

The whole day before kick off was amazing. I was an 18 year old lad in awe of the thousands upon thousands of whites supping whatever they could get there hands on in the street.

Stoke buses coming through getting pelted with everything and anything (silly behaviour) but i fucking loved it.

I flew over from Singapore for a weekend for that. Landed in Manchester Saturday morning, day on the lash then set off on a 50 seater coach from the Grapes in Stoneclough at 6am on the Sunday with a toothbrush and passport to Wembley. No bag nothing.

It was an unbelievable day till kick off, piss and shit trickling down the coach etc then down Wembley to get slaughtered from the offy, then left at 3-0 to get hammered more in London before getting in the flight back on Monday morning.

Happy/shit day

I flew over from Singapore for a weekend for that. Landed in Manchester Saturday morning, day on the lash then set off on a 50 seater coach from the Grapes in Stoneclough at 6am on the Sunday with a toothbrush and passport to Wembley. No bag nothing.

It was an unbelievable day till kick off, piss and shit trickling down the coach etc then down Wembley to get slaughtered from the offy, then left at 3-0 to get hammered more in London before getting in the flight back on Monday morning.

Happy/shit day

Shit fan, a proper supporter would never have left the BL postcode that close to a cup semi