Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Most Evocative Instrument

globaldiver

Bagpipes for me. I genuinely once saw a lone piper stood on the banks of a loch on a really still day practising. Incredible. Sat and watched him for nearly an hour.

They are also a fucking great addition to "It's a Long Way To The Top" by AC/DC

Apart from that, for some reason, I just love The Wurlitzer Organ. Guess that's a childhood thing from trips to Blackpool

I do like the pipes if done right.

The pipes in Mull of Kintyre always bring a touch of dust for some unknown reason.  I'm gonna pretend to be all butch and say it reminds of the lovely Campbeltown nectar ;) 

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Hate the bagpipes with a passion.

Probably because as a kid our next door neighbour played (very badly) them all the fucking time.

With you on that one.

FFS, sounds like a bunch of caterwauling moggies. The dawn piper and the term 'shot at dawn' dovetail very nicely.

My mate married a jock lass and they had the reception at the bagpipes museum in Glasgow.

You had to walk up stairs past a piper playing at top note, if you were very unlucky you had to stand next to him as folk chatted to bride and grooms family on the way in had a dislike of the bagpipes since

I'm shocked at the disdain for the pipes.

Found a clip earlier of a massed band of pipes and military bands playing "highland cathedral". Tremendous stuff.

Me too. When played well they are tremendous. Handy hint - just don't stand too close - it's like saying you don't like the bass guitar because you were stood next to the speaker at a Motorhead gig when Lemmy's amp was turned up to the max 

• 2 months later...