Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Rum

madthatter

Went through a phase a few years back before sprog of only drinking Sailor Jerry's rum when out drinking.

It got too expensive so stick to it at home only.

Kraken is a good un too. Get to Harvey Nicks in manc they've always got an excellent selection

Bit of a treck form down here but thanks :)  

Went through a Sailor Jerry phase myself years ago - with coke and lime, divine!  But not so keen on the flavoured rums now.

Got my Mrs a Don Papa Philappino rum.  It's decent but too sweet and vanillery to drink neat - mixes very well.

Just got into it myself the last year or so, spiced rum rather than anything else though and neat.

You’ve got to try Rebellion and Dead Man’s Fingers. Rum shack in St Ives is to blame for that, superb stuff. Tried Spytail ginger spiced rum at a festival recently too that was really good.

Goslings Black seal is a decent sup.

Was having a gander at that but Wood's is about £15 cheaper.

I imagine they're pretty similar in style?

Yes, I'm partial to a bit of Ron Zacapa from Guatemala.

In other words . . .'Pffffft . . . Wood's!' ;) 

Need to be careful splashing out these days as I've more whisky than I can drink in two years . . .

Just got into it myself the last year or so, spiced rum rather than anything else though and neat.

You’ve got to try Rebellion and Dead Man’s Fingers. Rum shack in St Ives is to blame for that, superb stuff. Tried Spytail ginger spiced rum at a festival recently too that was really good.

Ha ha!   Having a week in St Ives over the summer with the clan.

Duly noted :) 

I can see me and my brother attempting to circumnavigate Land's End in a stolen boat armed with bottles of grog and flagons of cider

Yarrrgh 

Ha ha! Having a week in St Ives over the summer with the clan.

Duly noted :)

I can see me and my brother attempting to circumnavigate Land's End in a stolen boat armed with bottles of grog and flagons of cider

Yarrrgh

It’s great there, had never been before last Christmas now been 3 times in a year. Honestly as good as anywhere I’ve been abroad on a hot sunny day. Maybe not so much when it’s blowing a gale.

The Rum And Crab Shack in on the front at St Ives Bay is the place you need to be, for sure.

The Sloop pub nearby is brilliant too, and there’s a shop called Johns Wine Store 2 mins from both that you can buy all the obscure rums you’ve discovered on the trip!

Ohh arrgh!

It’s great there, had never been before last Christmas now been 3 times in a year. Honestly as good as anywhere I’ve been abroad on a hot sunny day. Maybe not so much when it’s blowing a gale.

The Rum And Crab Shack in on the front at St Ives Bay is the place you need to be, for sure.

The Sloop pub nearby is brilliant too, and there’s a shop called Johns Wine Store 2 mins from both that you can buy all the obscure rums you’ve discovered on the trip!

Ohh arrgh!

Rum and crab shack?!

semi, verging on full arousal

• Members

Was having a gander at that but Wood's is about £15 cheaper.

I imagine they're pretty similar in style?

Aye similar , goslings do an overproof version that knocks yer socks off 75.5% , nice with ginger and lime or peppermint cordial.

Any old sailor chap i used to work with swore by Woods100 for being the rum most like the tots enjoyed during his sea fairing days.

That's what I hear as well.  Pusser's is I believe made from the old Admiralty recipe and that has to be the best rum I've had.  For 54% it's remarkably easy to sip.

Wood's is 57% iirc and Guyanan but its that same Caribbean dark molasses rum style.

Sack it, I'll grab one later today :)

Tried El Dorado 12 in a bar recently and that was very nice with my ice cream desert.

Thanks all!  Sandy bottoms

Edited by madthatter

• 1 month later...

Ohh arrgh!

On this today!