Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Kids Electric Guitars

barryk32

• Site Supporter

My soon to be 9 year old wants one for his birthday (girls think its cool apparently :rolleyes2: )

I'm sure there was someone on here who knows about this sort of thing.

Can anybody point me in the right direction?

Also, is Rocksmith any good and what else does he need?

Rocksmith is OK. I got it for my ps3 but the console is fucked now after my lad rammed his dvds in it a while back. Don't mind passing it on unless you are on ps4?

I could probably get you my old Johnson delta Rose off my dad if you want to borrow for a bit, see if he likes it before buying one?

It's full size electric but hollow so easy to learn on.

Edited by stevieb

Does he play at all?

If not and you think he may bin it off when he realises he's not Slash after a few weeks then I'd seriously pick up a cheap second hand one.

If he's serious I'd recommend starting on a softer string classical - although I know that's not very cool.

I couldn't say what makes are better for kids but pretty sure fender do kids ones and they're always cool  8)

He'd need an amp, lead and a few different plectrums/pics.  Again, I'd look to get them all (maybe not the pics) second hand and see how the land lies perhaps with a promise of 'if you seem keen we can upgrade later' - there's the nerdy teacher in me coming out ;)

I'd recommend a 3/4 size one...

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Electric-guitar-3-4-scale-Burswood-ST-type-solid-body-stunning-in-black/253614987799?hash=item3b0ca19a17:g:O~0AAOSwyDFa9L8M

Not the best and he'd soon move on if he takes to it but for £30 would fit the purpose for someone dipping their toe in.

Check he's not a lefty BTW.

Edited by Youri McAnespie

• Site Supporter

Cheers.

He wants an electric one so that he can plug it into his PC. 

I know the sound wouldnt be the best but he wants to learn so it may be alright for the time being.  I'll show Our Peg that when shes home.  Cant go wrong for 30 quid.

Cheers.

He wants an electric one so that he can plug it into his PC.

I know the sound wouldnt be the best but he wants to learn so it may be alright for the time being. I'll show Our Peg that when shes home. Cant go wrong for 30 quid.

The offers there if you want to borrow my old electric.

I'm at my dad's on Sunday afternoon so I can drop it off on the way home if you want.

• Site Supporter

The offers there if you want to borrow my old electric.

I'm at my dad's on Sunday afternoon so I can drop it off on the way home if you want.

Sorry mate, missed that offer.

Cheers pal, it might be a bit difficult taking it back off him after a while.

Cheers though pal.

Sorry mate, missed that offer.

Cheers pal, it might be a bit difficult taking it back off him after a while.

Cheers though pal.

No worried, let me know if you change your mind. Its on my dads landing not getting used as he plays his acoustic and I've got an epiphone I don't use either!