Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Walking For Owd Duffers

Smiley

Managed a great walk/hike/scramble up Helvellyn at weekend in baking heat via Striding Edge and back via Swirral Edge. Bit hair-raising at times but so worth it.

Said it time and time again, can't beat this country when we get the weather.

Still saw a few folk only just starting out in the midday sun - wearing inappropriate footwear - fools!

Fancy a few more similar treks over the coming months.

Managed a great walk/hike/scramble up Helvellyn at weekend in baking heat via Striding Edge and back via Swirral Edge. Bit hair-raising at times but so worth it.

Said it time and time again, can't beat this country when we get the weather.

Still saw a few folk only just starting out in the midday sun - wearing inappropriate footwear - fools!

Fancy a few more similar treks over the coming months.

Always wanted to do striding edge but think my bottle would go!!

If you can do that, what about Crib Goch up to Snowden?

Got a good deal for a hotel in Ambleside this coming sunday. Any recommendations for a decent 2-3 hour walk?

I know all the usual 4-5 hour ones round there but don't want to risk one of them at the moment with my back

Just do the same ones but walk faster.

Got a good deal for a hotel in Ambleside this coming sunday. Any recommendations for a decent 2-3 hour walk?

I know all the usual 4-5 hour ones round there but don't want to risk one of them at the moment with my back

You could do Loughrigg fell (great views over Windermere and not that high) or head through to Great Langdale.

• Site Supporter

You could do Loughrigg fell (great views over Windermere and not that high) or head through to Great Langdale.

Did lough Rigg not too long ago. Some lovely views as you say. Should be good for birds too.

Definitely take care with that back though. I'd also suggest he makes sure to take plenty of water and a hat; it's going to be warm and sunny.

Nice walk from arm side around morecambe bay

• Site Supporter

Mostly on road. Sustrans C2C route from Whitehaven to Tynemouth. Alternative offroad track up Hartside and Rookhope but it's pretty steep. No cafe at the top now at Hartside either to fill your boots since it burnt down. Route is about 145 miles and easily done over 3 days. My son did it in a day with some other loons once.

Yes very lucky with walks up in Northumberland. Happy to give some favoured routes if anyone ever comes up this way. Scenery around Hadrian's Wall is breathtaking and only 10 mins away for me.

Just had a look at Langdale walks - seems about right, so looks a good shout if I head that way from Ambleside. Did Loughrigg last year - up the terrace from Grasmere - that was a bit of a tough climb!!

I'd also suggest he makes sure to take plenty of water and a hat; it's going to be warm and sunny.

Hope you're not suggesting that my magnificent mane is thinning in any way............

Edited by MancWanderer

Love a good Lakeland/North Yorkshire walk but we also have breathtaking countryside on our doorstep. When I go back home always try and go through the West Pennine moors at some point. Down south is beautiful (despite what people may say) but you are lucky to live your such a stunning place.

• Site Supporter

Mostly on road. Sustrans C2C route from Whitehaven to Tynemouth. Alternative offroad track up Hartside and Rookhope but it's pretty steep. No cafe at the top now at Hartside either to fill your boots since it burnt down. Route is about 145 miles and easily done over 3 days. My son did it in a day with some other loons once.

Yes very lucky with walks up in Northumberland. Happy to give some favoured routes if anyone ever comes up this way. Scenery around Hadrian's Wall is breathtaking and only 10 mins away for me.

Did some of those old rail routes last year. Through Lanchester (a lovely place) and also found an old wagon on display. (Can't remember exactly where ) will definitely look at some more of the stuff high up above weardale.

I'm up in Boulmer for a week in July. Any woodlands/sheep free areas that we can take three one year old collies for a mad hour that's off the beaten track?

• Site Supporter

good walk from Boulmer north along the beach to Howick (former home of Earl Grey) and on to Craster. Great pub and kipper smokery. If you go further north from Craster you get to Dunstanburgh Castle but sheep in the fields there. (Really pretty ones mind).

Stay coastal side of Boulmer otherwise you pass RAF base.

• Site Supporter

Funnily enough, stayed at Embleton a few times and once walked to Boulmer and back along the shore paths.

Went in the pub there and the barman looked rough as fuck but was an absolute gent.

Pub in Craster is ace- the crab soup is exquisite.

Only time I've been in Boulmer that, presumably the beach will be fine for the animals.