Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Northern Rail

gonzo

If you look on the London Reconnections site, somewhere there's an article about why Tfl understand running a rail network (in short, it's because they've been doing it continuously for a long time - you need at least 10 years to get to grips with the potential problems).

Here's another interesting thread

Check out @garius’s Tweet: https://twitter.com/garius/status/1002853924531994624?s=09

Can’t understand it that well if they are going to be £1bn short next year, I bet Northern Rail could run a great service if they lost £1bn a year on it

TFL have been shit scared of the unions for years, reports this week that TFL have had to pay tens of millions this year in severance packages alone and the mayor of London is investing it all

http://www.cityam.com/286686/mayor-launches-severance-pay-review-after-tfl-reveals

Let’s face facts, London should be the easiest system to get right given the % of local population that use it on a regular basis

Edited by birch-chorley

Seem to recall something about it having the highest rate for student suicides.

Not one for the prospectus, that.

went for an open day visit to Aston uni.

They had to close off the big tower thing on the campus on exam results day for the same reason

I’d be checking it out right till the last minute mate.

My bus from bolton-Preston-Blackpool was cancelled at the last minute after burton. Hence a taxi home.

They fill the trains knowing the won’t run and most don’t ask for refunds on return tickets.

Some weird movements today at Wigan, within 5 mins, two tin pot trains pulled in bound North and the announcer said get on these trains if you want to get to Blackpool, I let all the riff raff on and waited for the third train from Birmingham. Fucking Hell, eleven coaches full of W Midland wimmin with about 9 kids each bound for the seaside.

When I came back into Crewe 2 weeks ago there were lots of brand new Elizabeth Line trains in the sidings to the south of the station.

Just get the drivers some route knowledge, and guards on the units, should be up and going within three years.

You can’t keep just blaming private corporations making money as the problem

TFL run a great service down in London and they are on course for a £1bn deficit, again on the back of reduced passenger numbers. That’s £1bn that we will all have to pay if it doesn’t turn around

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/feb/12/fall-in-journeys-leaves-tfl-facing-near-1bn-deficit-next-year

It seems that both the private sector and state are struggling to run a decent transport system that can wash its own face (financially)

I mean they should never have been privatised. Certainly not in the way they have been. There is no competition - as in if I need to get from Bolton to Leeds there is only one operator, I have no choice, so once you have a franchise there isn’t any pressure to run it well beyond those in the contract. Even then it seems those penalties are often less than the cost of actually running a proper service.

A proper joined up transport service should be state run.

However we are where we are so we need mechanisms to force the franchise operators to immediately improve the service they offer. They’ve been failing for decades.

• Site Supporter

Here's a question; should the state subsidise trains to an extent?

I don't know the answer to this but aren't some European countries networks subsidised.

Advantages; roads quieter less pollution and folk healthier. Less of a burden on health services.

Disadvantages; tax payers money, no guarantee of a good service.

Here's a question; should the state subsidise trains to an extent?

I don't know the answer to this but aren't some European countries networks subsidised.

Advantages; roads quieter less pollution and folk healthier. Less of a burden on health services.

Disadvantages; tax payers money, no guarantee of a good service.

I'm reasonably sure that we subsidise the railways

Some bod on R4 just now saying NR should be stripped of their licence (or whatever) if they keep fcuking up.

NR said they'd reimburse cancelled trains and late ones.   Wouldn't hold my breath that that would be an easy process to claim back.

My little lad loves trains.  I think they're utter wank.

Edited by madthatter

To get to work on public transport would require 2 buses and 2 trains

A 25 mile journey and would take over 2 hours

Fcuked if I'm up for subsidising some bolton to Manc type

thats what happens when you are a bury bummer.