Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Northern Rail

gonzo

Well, maybe

But more expensive than driving into Manchester

I did a quick check on a similar length journey to mine and the season ticket was a quarter the price I pay, so frankly I'm amazed they ever run a service at that price.

I did a quick check on a similar length journey to mine and the season ticket was a quarter the price I pay, so frankly I'm amazed they ever run a service at that price.

There's probably a quarter of the number of services, a quarter of the number of seats and the trains will be 40 year old bus bodies welded to freight chassis.

There's probably a quarter of the number of services, a quarter of the number of seats and the trains will be 40 year old bus bodies welded to freight chassis.

And fewer than a quarter of the number of passengers. The first 2 points are a function of demand - the last is a consequence of it being a very affordable service - frankly I'd happily sit on an old train for a big discount.

1 month in and live departures screen still a sea of red - bunch of useless tossers. How on earth do drivers and rolling stock just disappear with a new timetable. If they're short of drivers, why are so many short trains running when they were 12 carriages a month ago. It would be hard to screw the service any more if it were an active aim.

And fewer than a quarter of the number of passengers. The first 2 points are a function of demand - the last is a consequence of it being a very affordable service - frankly I'd happily sit on an old train for a big discount.

1 month in and live departures screen still a sea of red - bunch of useless tossers. How on earth do drivers and rolling stock just disappear with a new timetable. If they're short of drivers, why are so many short trains running when they were 12 carriages a month ago. It would be hard to screw the service any more if it were an active aim.

You'd like to think so - but the fact that folk often have to let trains go because they can't physically get on them suggests otherwise.

• Site Supporter

Drivers are having to be trained on new routes from what I understand. Leads to a shortage for a while.

Sit? Ahh ha ha ha

You’d be fucking lucky

Folk can’t get on packed trains during rush hour yet there’s trains run late at night to random places with not a soul on them at any given point.

Remember getting the wrong train to Blackpool south once. The conductor was genuinely shocked there was somebody actually on his train. He didn’t even have a any proper tickets and just gave me a bit of paper :)

I was on a thameslink train last week

About 7pm between st Pancras and Blackfriars

Hardly anybody on despite having about 8 carriages. Loads of connecting trains cancelled as well

And that "see It, say It, sorted it" message can fuck off as well