Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Var

deane koontz

Been great apart from that Portugal v Iran game

But that ref was out of his depth

Good tool to use in the hands of the right officials

VAR should have given Argentina another pen vs Iceland and England should have been given 2 pens vs Tunisia.

Edited by Didledee

on the whole i think its been a great success. out of 18 or 19 decisions it has got 16 or 17 correct. There are always going to be debates and 'incorrect' decisions as it is still down an individuals interpretation of the incident

Imagine if the Korea goal hadnt of stood yesterday then the Germans scored & knocked Mexico out. Would of been a travesty!

It does add a bit of drama / uncertainty to proceedings but the fans in the ground need to be seeing what everyone else is (like in Rugby League)

Be interesting to see how its streamlined when it is rolled out in the top leagues because games cant have a team of 6 refs sat in an office watching screens in every ground in the country, its ridiculous. 

Edited by barrycowdrill

Be interesting to see how its streamlined when it is rolled out in the top leagues because games cant have a team of 6 refs sat in an office watching screens in every ground in the country, its ridiculous.

The nfl have a big room in New York with replay officials in it watching the games.

The FA or Premier league will have to set up something similar

on the whole i think its been a great success. out of 18 or 19 decisions it has got 16 or 17 correct. There are always going to be debates and 'incorrect' decisions as it is still down an individuals interpretation of the incident

Imagine if the Korea goal hadnt of stood yesterday then the Germans scored & knocked Mexico out. Would of been a travesty!

It does add a bit of drama / uncertainty to proceedings but the fans in the ground need to be seeing what everyone else is (like in Rugby League)

They don't play all the games at the same time. So can't see it being a major problem.

So when do we celebrate a goal now?

When it hits the net? Or 3 minutes later when var isn’t used? Or 3 minutes later when it is used?

Erm.......both

That is a low ratio for video decisions. Even then how many decisions have been wrong but VAR wasn't used or whatever?

The problem is not the tech  but how its used. Son was booked yesterday for a dive, where he was clearly fouled. 

VAR isn't improving decisions all round. Its just making it more inconsistent and confusing.

There needs to be clarity on how and when it is used and referees and linesmen need to understand that.

They don't play all the games at the same time. So can't see it being a major problem.

domestic games have more kicking off at the same time as the WC?

still a major resource either way and if / when its then rolled out across all levels i cant see where Accy v Crawley for example will host it and who will pay for it?

sure the EFL wont be too keen on footing the bill for 60 odd games a weekend all using the technology. Then again it may not be that expensive. As i say itll be interesting to see how its rolled out 

That is a low ratio for video decisions. Even then how many decisions have been wrong but VAR wasn't used or whatever?

The problem is not the tech  but how its used. Son was booked yesterday for a dive, where he was clearly fouled. 

VAR isn't improving decisions all round. Its just making it more inconsistent and confusing.

There needs to be clarity on how and when it is used and referees and linesmen need to understand that.

see thats the problem isnt it, there will never be a 100% success rate and it isnt there to correct the decisions the referee has made. it is there to assist them to review it.

But the on field ref's opinion could differ from every single one of the review refs. 

Personally, i think a review system could work. Give each team 2 reviews per game, say a max of 1 each half? They can only be used in incidents that led to a goal where it is more black & white. So say, offsides, ball out of play in the build up or a foul in play during the build up?

team can ask for a review, ref goes to a pitch side screen, reviews then corrects / upholds the decision.

Let everything else, free kicks, yellow cards, corners etc be under the control of the officials... otherwise you create this environment we have already seen where players are begging for a review every 2 minutes 

domestic games have more kicking off at the same time as the WC?

still a major resource either way and if / when its then rolled out across all levels i cant see where Accy v Crawley for example will host it and who will pay for it?

sure the EFL wont be too keen on footing the bill for 60 odd games a weekend all using the technology. Then again it may not be that expensive. As i say itll be interesting to see how its rolled out

Sorry, I thought it was just the premier league using var.

If it's football league as well then you're probably right. It will cost too much.

see thats the problem isnt it, there will never be a 100% success rate and it isnt there to correct the decisions the referee has made. it is there to assist them to review it.

But the on field ref's opinion could differ from every single one of the review refs. 

Personally, i think a review system could work. Give each team 2 reviews per game, say a max of 1 each half? They can only be used in incidents that led to a goal where it is more black & white. So say, offsides, ball out of play in the build up or a foul in play during the build up?

team can ask for a review, ref goes to a pitch side screen, reviews then corrects / upholds the decision.

Let everything else, free kicks, yellow cards, corners etc be under the control of the officials... otherwise you create this environment we have already seen where players are begging for a review every 2 minutes 

Its a tricky one and I don't have an answer. At least there would be a framework to work from there. But I'd worry that then key things like red cards/penalty decisions are once again wrong.

I personally think that for now we possibly need a system whereby the onfield decisions stand UNLESS the referee or linesman calls for them to be reviewed. Whilst this will introduce more issues potentially, it puts the onus back onto linesmen and refs to make good decisions and isn't leaving the massive get out of "well I put my flag up/kept it down - but the video will help me". One of these days there will be a scenario where a flag goes up, everyone stops, player half heartedly puts it into the net, decision is reviewed, goal given and chaos ensues.

There needs to be greater clarity in when and how it is used.

Its a tricky one and I don't have an answer. At least there would be a framework to work from there. But I'd worry that then key things like red cards/penalty decisions are once again wrong.

I personally think that for now we possibly need a system whereby the onfield decisions stand UNLESS the referee or linesman calls for them to be reviewed. Whilst this will introduce more issues potentially, it puts the onus back onto linesmen and refs to make good decisions and isn't leaving the massive get out of "well I put my flag up/kept it down - but the video will help me". One of these days there will be a scenario where a flag goes up, everyone stops, player half heartedly puts it into the net, decision is reviewed, goal given and chaos ensues.

There needs to be greater clarity in when and how it is used.

see thats also a problem isnt it, without someone asking the refs to review how often will they make a decision, think 'shit ive got that wrong' and review it? probably never. Only pressure from players will perhaps make them second guess. So why not give those same players an official chance to request a review? Stops all the harassment and chasing him around the pitch then which we're seeing now 

and the linesmen cant even make a throw in decision independantly these days let alone tell the ref he may have got one wrong

the process at the moment is correcting the majority of incorrect decisions, it will never be fool proof but in its current guise i dont see it being able to be implemented across all levels. which is should be.

Championship will have goal line tech this season, so somewhere in the future VAR will be there too 

Edited by barrycowdrill

think it is initially however surely it will be rolled out everywhere eventually?

Goal line tech isn't football league wide yet is it?

I imagine it'll start off in the Prem, then champo then leagues 1 and 2.

Places like the Macron will be a piece of piss to set it up in. Gigg Lane not so much.

As well as the replay tech you'd need more cameras at each ground. To make the tech viable.

Goal line tech isn't football league wide yet is it?

Champ this season so wouldnt back against lower leagues in the next couple of years

same roll out of VAR in terms of staggering i would expect?

and thats my point with all this, yes its working but in its current set up it isnt viable either financially or logistically for the majority of clubs so something needs to change with it

see thats also a problem isnt it, without someone asking the refs to review how often will they make a decision, think 'shit ive got that wrong' and review it? probably never. Only pressure from players will perhaps make them second guess. So why not give those same players an official chance to request a review? Stops all the harassment and chasing him around the pitch then which we're seeing now 

and the linesmen cant even make a throw in decision independantly these days let alone tell the ref he may have got one wrong

the process at the moment is correcting the majority of incorrect decisions, it will never be fool proof but in its current guise i dont see it being able to be implemented across all levels. which is should be.

Championship will have goal line tech this season, so somewhere in the future VAR will be there too 

The trouble with giving team's "challenges" is you build a system where you accept if a team uses it, then they could suffer wrong decisions afterwards.

You introduce a level of decision making that isn't in my view, suited to the sport. In cricket a batsman can review but he's usually best placed to know. Same with a bowler or wicket keeper.

In football the manager or captain can't possibly be best placed to decide when to use their review. Its counter-intuitive to getting majority of decisions right in a fast flowing game. I do think its a better system than they have now.

But somehow I think they need to define what can and can't be reviewed and decide whether it is up to the onfield officials to decide on a review OR whether the framework is set and the VAR panel simply review everything within that framework and tell the onfield officials where they got it wrong.

That can work in big tournaments but again the manpower to cover domestic football is huge. 

The trouble with giving team's "challenges" is you build a system where you accept if a team uses it, then they could suffer wrong decisions afterwards.

so there you go, stops people demanding VAR reviews every 5 minutes and leaves the decision with the team. much like cricket, they discuss between themselves and if they feel its worthwhile, review. if not youve missed your chance

dont see any problem with that personally if it means players become more considered in their appeals rather than asking for everything and anything 

But again, only relating to incidents that result in a goal. game has stopped anyway so it doesnt break up play and considering the amount of goals that are scored, very few are contentious so it wont create issue after issue for me?

And still gives the referees autonomy over the rest of the game 

Edited by barrycowdrill

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.