Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Running

famouswanderer

Hi, im a fat bastard.

Ive started to address this by eating more healthy and a serious cut down on boozing.

Ive also started running for about four weeks now. I go every couple of days.

Unbelieveably, im loving it. Never thought i would say that - the sense of achievement when you finish a run is fantastic. Im hooked.

However, my knees have started to fucking hurt. I also got in this morning after a run and had a real dull achey pain in my right shin.

I imagine this is because im a bit of a unit and my body isnt really used to this?

Now ive ran through the pain this morning and was fine tbh.

But what i want to know is, should i carry on or should i take a break to prevent a more serious injury?

I feel like in the past i would relish an opportunity like this to stop exercising but this time i genuinely want to carry on.

Any advice appreciated.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well done firstly mate

Plenty folk better placed on here to advise than me but I would say go get some trainers sorted first and foremost that fit your running style as I have bad knees and ankles and when I started running had same issues but got some proper running trainers and this helped massively

I'm no doctor, so hopefully someone with a medical background can input too, but I did a lot of running at uni. Pain in the shins was not uncommon, however it was only there for a run or two and then it went away. If persisting, I'd be more wary.

I also had some knee pain when starting running again (after a break for a few years) and advice I got was to run on grass rather than roads or paths. There is more "give" in turf, so it is less intensive / high impact on the knees.

As a general point, great to hear you're enjoying it. I loved the thinking time and the sense of achievement at the end. Keep it up and the body will appreciate it.

Would be interested in Malcolm's views on this one.

Mix it up run a bit less and get a bike, some fantastic cycling country round here as I’m wrong side of 50 I head to west lancashire where it’s flatter, there is some fantastic scenery around Eccleston, Mawdesley, Croston etc also couple of nice pubs if you’ve burnt enough calories off to earn a pint.

Edited by Mounts Kipper

Firstly, well done! I started running 10 years ago as I turned 40 & for something different to do after getting skinned at 5 a side every week by 15 year old scallies.

The right trainers and lots of warm ups and cool down stretches would be my best advice. I don't know how old you are but if you're over 35 & running regularly, get used to niggles and minor injuries! Incidentally, pains in the shins for new runners is often nothing more than tight calves.

I hated running for the first few months but I couldn't live without it now. Road races, park runs, fell races, cross country, marathons, ultras - there's loads of fun out there - enjoy!

Firstly well done but starting running it is amazing and liberating.

It sounds like shin splints

Have a read of :

https://www.runnersworld.com/shin-splints/

Should help

But basically your probably doing too much too soon. Which is really common . Like mounts says try different types of exercise such as cycling or swimming ( as both less impact/pounding on your legs.

Have u looked at your running style ? I know it’s a bit early but it could be your trainers are wrong .the only real way to do this is for someone to ‘analyse’ you while you run .

http://dougietobutt.com/tobutt-sports.html

Does this via videoing you on a running machine in the shop .

It is free as long as you buy some trainers from them. The trainers and staff in the shop are great and knowledgeable but the trainers are in my opinion not particularly competitively priced.

Other places do it such as sweatshop but in my humble they (sweatshop) will try to push you to the karrimor brand ( ie there own and sell you shit you don’t need (insoles).

Anyway sorry for waffling . In conclusion probably shin splints , maybe wrong shoes as well.

If you want any other advice either pm me or ask on here the above is all good advice

• Site Supporter

Get tobutts and get some decent trainers that allow for gait..

If you are big its gonna hurt.. go to the good health centre next door to tobutts and that will help, but you'll soon get in shape..

At heaviest I was touching 21 stone.. started running again and a diet and ive lost some. Decided to start my diet in April. Its hard work at that size and more of a plod, but I do small sessions of half hour and it seems to work.

You don't say how far you are running - 2 miles a trip or 10.

My advice would be to start at 2 miles and build to an occasional 6 (or 3k to 10k if you are metrically inclined).

You don't say how much weight you are carrying, but obviously your knees will bear the brunt. If this and the shin soreness persist is it possible to do most or all of your run on grass (verges, parkland, golf courses - not greens!)?

Running does tend to generate the good feeling you are getting.

Including longer cycling is a good option, apart from anything else the knees don't suffer as much

I usually go to the Sweatshop in David Lloyd up near Botany Bay. They'll get you on the treadmill and analyse your footfall in different shoes. They always seem to have a lot of last season's shoes in at a discount price if you don't want to spend big on the latest model. I always try loads of different pairs, you'll know when you're in the right ones. Like BDB says don't let them sell you any inserts as you don't need them if you choose the correct shoes.

Regarding the knees I always find that when I'm running regularly the pain diminishes and if I'm unable to run for any length of time it returns. This is probably due to strengthening of the muscles around the joint. As others have said try not to do to much to soon.

If your main goal is losing weight downloads my fitness app and count your calories.

If you can keep your calories below your target. The excerise is a massive bonus. Diet is everything.

Any product that has a barcode on it, you can scan it with the app and it imputs all the data for you.

Gait analysis, insoles, fancy shoes...pah!

https://www.runresearchjunkie.com/the-ethics-of-doing-a-gait-analysis/

I fancied a run yesterday but the only trainers I had to hand were a pair of adidas nizza, did four miles without even tying them :)

Malcolm's advice is best - run on grass if you can until you both lose weight and your legs strengthen.

Your shins are probably aching as at the moment your lower legs are doing the majority of the work, if you keep at it the whole legs and glutes etc. will start pulling their weight too, no more shin ache...

I've been road running for about 4 years and picked up many niggling injuries including shin splints and aching knees. I would agree that comfortable running shoes are a must. Personally I think that gait analysis isn't needed unless your pains are a weekly occurrence. When I need a rest from running I tend to use a cross trainer as a alternative as it's much easier on the joints but still a good cardiovascular workout.

If your main goal is losing weight downloads my fitness app and count your calories.

If you can keep your calories below your target. The excerise is a massive bonus. Diet is everything.

Any product that has a barcode on it, you can scan it with the app and it imputs all the data for you.

Gonzo's fitness app. Hmmmm.

If you’we just started it’s probably a simple case of too much too soon - rest is important and running ironically is not something you can speed up quickly.

Don’t run on injuries - they will get worse andvyou’ll end up putting yourself out for a good few weeks.

Also slow down - tempo leads to greater impact and pains in your knees. You need to build those leg muscles up.

So yes, get a decent pair of shoes, rest a day in between and biding increase distance more than 10% a week.

But enjoy - it’s really changed my life, honestly. Feel better mentally and physically, and found I’m not totally rotten at it which is nice after years of not doing sport, plus raised a few quid for others in the process. Good on you, hope you keep in up, welcome to the club and join us on Strava! (Mind you had the laziest week in two years - only done a quick 5k this week - mainly due to a sore thigh, I keep telling myself!)

• Moderators

That feels so unnatural. Is it really so beneficial?

The idea is its quite the opposite and totally natural, and that runners injuries have been increasing since the introduction of running shoes

This book explains it far better:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Born-Run-hidden-ultra-runners-greatest-ebook/dp/B004CFBMRY

I used to get bad hips, upper thighs and lower back after running on my heels, and though it took some doing switching style helped massively in reducing post run discomfort injuries - might not work for everyone but def did for me

I do most of my running in a ten year old pair of ZX - the sole is pancaked and they feel like slippers they're so worn in, I'm dreading having to ditch them now there's tears appearing here and there...The relative thinness of the sole and worn in nature means my feet feel the ground and any uneveness etc. much better and my gait and stride can respond instantly to the "feedback" received - I haven't read Zico's link but I reckon it probably supports this theory.