Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Running

famouswanderer

• Site Supporter

Not dismissing it guys, just seems weird, bit like ladies wearing high heels for prolonged periods.

Interestingly; I always thought Roger Black had a magnificent style and he wasn't short of pace either. One feature of his running style was a slight lean forward, which going through it in my head I would imagine would naturally put you more onto your toes.

Perhaps I was lucky in my running days as I didn't seem to get injuries as a result, apart from maybe a bit of shin tightness occasionally. Football was far more troublesome.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

Interestingly; I always thought Roger Black had a magnificent style and he wasn't short of pace either. One feature of his running style was a slight lean forward, which going through it in my head I would imagine would naturally put you more onto your toes.

Aye, leaning forward is part of it too, and smaller quicker steps as opposed to long strides which if you've been running the opposite way for some time is def weird at first

I tore my calf when first trying to adapt, and when you start to tire you naturally start to use your heels again but it def makes you faster, more efficient and less injury prone

As an 18 stone runner I will say getting proper trainers helped me. I have less problems (although admittedly my knee has gone this weekend wearing flip flops)

Get building distance and speed follows. I love running and find it relaxes me

Used to be my escape from stress. Stopped for a long time and recently started again and what a difference it makes to your state of mind.

5k completed today at a snails pace but felt amazing at the end. Stiff as an ironing board now. But without proper trainers would be a million times worse

half marathon in September on the cards possibly

• Moderators

so i should be running in my converse ?

If you want

The conclusion of that book/research is that it's way more about your technique than the trainer and through my own experience I'd tend to agree

Though I'd still go for proper cushioning for the sake of comfort

Following on from that last link this one also worth a read

https://www.runandbecome.com/running-product-reviews/shoes/barefoot-shoes/best-barefoot-minimal-running-shoes

• Site Supporter

I hate running with a passion yet did 2 gnr’s And 4 marathons. Best advice I was given was listen to your body. Yes, reasonable trainers help but no need to spend a fortune on them. If you have niggling injuries, give them a couple of days rest. You aren’t going to lose any of the fitness you have gained over 2 or 3 days extra rest

Yeah - common sense is the rule I find. After pulling up 12k into a race last December running on an ankle injury it’s just not worth it.

My biggest leap in improving was doing hill repeats as I’ve mentioned. Improved muscles, cadaence on the flat and areobic fitness - so less distance, more hills - lessened my chance of injury doing loads of dead miles.

Looking to get some lighter road trainers now, got to get some miles in this weekend - lazy week ended with a second personal best for 5k, but I’m really hoping to get under 20 mins by the end of the year - currently 20 seconds off so not sure if it’s doable.

Still questioning if I should sign up for Edinburgh - just it’s a lot of training when finding time for the long runs is difficult.

i was bang into running in 2014 to mid 2016

trainers defo helped, as i was getting really bad shins whe i started

helped me shft about 3 stone to

i still go but not as frequent and dont run as far

one thing i would suggest, is mix your routes up, doing the same one over and over can become tiresome

Edited by L/H White

• Site Supporter

Aye, leaning forward is part of it too, and smaller quicker steps as opposed to long strides which if you've been running the opposite way for some time is def weird at first

I tore my calf when first trying to adapt, and when you start to tire you naturally start to use your heels again but it def makes you faster, more efficient and less injury prone

As a slight aside (but one important survival technique) Bear Grylls also insists on leaning forward slightly when running down screen slopes. Feels alien but works.

As a slight aside (but one important survival technique) Bear Grylls also insists on leaning forward slightly when running down screen slopes. Feels alien but works.

You should always lean slightly forward when running down any slope. Gravity does a little bit more work for you and leaning back uses your quads as a brake.

• Site Supporter

Just seen on the local news a company in the Lake District (Innov-8 ) have been working with Manchester university and have been trialling trainers with graphene in the soul.

Hugely improves durability which allows a softer/more sticky rubber to be used improving grip.

Edited by Tonge moor green jacket

Just seen on the local news a company in the Lake District (Innov-8 ) have been working with Manchester university and have been trialling trainers with graphene in the soul.

Hugely improves durability which allows a softer/more sticky rubber to be used improving grip.

Not sure on this. I throw shoes out after 500 miles as the cushioning has more or less gone, the soles will be in good nick.

Never had an issue with grip and you generally don’t get the quick changes of direction where it is needed. Too sticky and your effort level will have to increase.

• Moderators

I don't trust him, makes on he's a survival expert yet not once has he had the foresight to take a pack lunch wherever he goes

• Site Supporter

I don't trust him, makes on he's a survival expert yet not once has he had the foresight to take a pack lunch wherever he goes

Very good.

Nobster is right- they were talking about fell runners, so I suppose the grip issue may be more important.

No doubt the article will be aired on the beeb local news later; have a gander and see what you think.

I also know a lad (well, several really) who works at inov8. The one I'm thinking of used to post on here back in the day. And, yes, the new Graphene shoes which were released yesterday are for fell and trail. It'll be interesting to see how good they are. I'll be waiting a while until they are reduced from their £140 price...

In other running news (please excuse willy waving) I finally did my first marathon t'other Saturday. Bolton hill marathon. For an owd permacrock who was fit-ish but did no proper training and only entered it a fortnight before the race, I did ok. 15th overall out of 82 finishers. 4 hours 4 mins. I was pretty happy with that. So, on Saturday just gone I entered my first ever Ultra marathon - the Lakeland 5 Passes. 33 mile and 10,000' climb. Ran round with two lasses from our club. It was a grueller. 10 1/2 hours. Epic day out.

• Site Supporter

I've put in for the wigan 10k...

Last time I was narrowly beaten by a lady on a motability scooter, she had pit stopped to recharge..

I've been back at it two weeks but struggling. Constantly tired and if I sit down for more than five mins I fall asleep. Hopefully running might kick start me.