Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Managing England; The Impossible Job

jules_darby

Capello comes across as cold as you’d expect and Hoddle was a bit tapped, but the rest come across as genuinely nice blokes. All caught at their most vulnerable, but nice blokes all the same. Got to love Sven’s smirk when the subject of Ulrikka came up.

Sam had his chance and fucked it up, but he fucked it up in style at least. Wasn’t happy with how he left us but it was a long time ago now and it’s not something worth getting wound up about any more.

Fortunately I can't see it but if allardyce comes on bleating, chuck a brick at your telly for me, please

Ta

You missed it ha

Southgate talks a good game, got a feeling about him :D

Sven came across really well

Sam was just a daft overly smug git. Fucked himself over. Sad really

Enjoyed this program, there’s something about looking back at England in tournaments that gets me nostalgic like nothing else. Can remember where I was, what I was doing for every single tournament match we’ve played since 96, it shapes lives!

Sven was interesting, probably learn more about him in that hour than in his entire reign, looks good without the hair too.

Ah, Sam. I feel like he let me down personally with all that went on, and in turn everyone else too, I was so happy he got that job. Bloody idiot, thought he was going to cry at one stage, obviously going to affect him for a long time.

BBC 2, should be on iplayer now?

Meanwhile, Henry Winter’s fucking smirk at the end of that...

I used to like Winter, but there’s been a few things in the past couple of years that have made me think he’s a bit of an odious prick

His line about Sven’s private life was said with such glee for example

I used to like Winter, but there’s been a few things in the past couple of years that have made me think he’s a bit of an odious prick

I know I had him down as one of the few “woke” members of the press especially on twitter when it comes to knowing how damaging they can be, turns out he’s as bad as the rest.

I bet his phone is hot tonight in whatever time zone he’s in.

No better than any of the gutter press.

Fascinating viewing this

We’ve had some absolute cock-ups haven’t we

Aye.

The more I hear G Taylor speak the more I like him and Sven looks like a pervy uncle ha ha!

Little bit of dust returning seeing that Waddle miss - we were so close. 

That Hoddle thing was a weird one.  Not sure he should have been sacked myself.   And Capello makes me piss!  'What did they say when they returned from the Copacabana . .  too much partying!'  The cracked cnut :) 

Edited by madthatter

It was all very sad viewing TBH. The amount of fuck-ups.

Anyone watch the 2-part documentary about when England ruled Europe - 1977-1984.

Europe couldn't get the damn European Cup off us.

How Cloughie was never England manager is criminal.

Anyone watch the 2-part documentary about when England ruled Europe - 1977-1984.

Europe couldn't get the damn European Cup off us.

How many of the players in those teams were English though? Liverpool won a league title in the 80’s with no English players.

It’s often said but how we didn’t do better in 04&06 with those players is a fucking travesty.

Aye

I know we've often been just plain old shite but feel we've also had some pretty bad luck in WCs.

Hand of God, that Sol Campbell goal that was disallowed, flukey Brazilian free kicks, Lampard's 'goal', penalties, Rooney getting crocked when he was ripping it up  . . . the draw also has never done us any favours apart from 1990 and we could/should have gone all the way then.

I'm convinced you need a bit of luck in any sport/tournament but then have to capitalise on it.  We've had fcuk all (by comparison)

Edited by madthatter

• 2 weeks later...

How many of the players in those teams were English though? Liverpool won a league title in the 80’s with no English players.

Really?

Clemence, Thompson, Kennedy x2, Johnson, McDermott, Neal, Gayle, etc.

Admittedly Liverpool, Villa and Forest were awash with Scots and Irish players. The odd Welshmen.

Really?

Admittedly Liverpool, Villa and Forest were awash with Scots and Irish players. The odd Welshmen.

Liverpools 86 cup winning side:

GK 1 Zimbabwe Bruce Grobbelaar
CB 2 Republic of Ireland Mark Lawrenson
LB 3 Republic of Ireland Jim Beglin
RB 4 Scotland Steve Nicol
LM 5 Republic of Ireland Ronnie Whelan
CB 6 Scotland Alan Hansen ©
SS 7 Scotland Kenny Dalglish
RM 8 Australia Craig Johnston
CF 9 Wales Ian Rush
CM 10 Denmark Jan Mølby
CM 11 Scotland Kevin MacDonald
Substitute:
MF 12 England Steve McMahon
Player-manager:
Scotland Kenny Dalglish

Liverpools 86 cup winning side:

GK 1 Zimbabwe Bruce Grobbelaar

CB 2 Republic of Ireland Mark Lawrenson

LB 3 Republic of Ireland Jim Beglin

RB 4 Scotland Steve Nicol

LM 5 Republic of Ireland Ronnie Whelan

CB 6 Scotland Alan Hansen ©

SS 7 Scotland Kenny Dalglish

RM 8 Australia Craig Johnston

CF 9 Wales Ian Rush

CM 10 Denmark Jan Mølby

CM 11 Scotland Kevin MacDonald

Substitute:

MF 12 England Steve McMahon

Player-manager:

Scotland Kenny Dalglish

They also won the league that year

• Moderators

Really?

Gayle etc

Fcuk me that's scraping a barrel in a whole new way

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.