Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Smithills/rivington Moor

• Site Supporter

Pictures showing portaloos being brought in.

Hadn't thought about that sort of stuff; a bloody big logistical job to back up the firefighters.

I was thinking about how the arsonists should be punished; I reckon they should be taxed at a higher rate than normal folk and that cash given directly to the services concerned. Not sure they'd ever pay it all back throughout their working life, but would help a bit.

Pictures showing portaloos being brought in.

Hadn't thought about that sort of stuff; a bloody big logistical job to back up the firefighters.

I was thinking about how the arsonists should be punished; I reckon they should be taxed at a higher rate than normal folk and that cash given directly to the services concerned. Not sure they'd ever pay it all back throughout their working life, but would help a bit.

Surely they could piss on the fire, every little helps

• Site Supporter

Surely they could piss on the fire, every little helps

There seems to be so much bottled water donated to fire stations that perhaps they might start using it.

Anyway, once read a story in the Fortean book of strange deaths: after a serious forest fire (somewhere big) the body of a man was found. The strange thing was he was wearing a rubber diving suit.

Investigations concluded the poor fucker was undertaking his hobby in a lake which was being used by planes for scooping up water for dousing the flames.

He'd been inadvertently scooped up and dumped on the flames!

There seems to be so much bottled water donated to fire stations that perhaps they might start using it.

Anyway, once read a story in the Fortean book of strange deaths: after a serious forest fire (somewhere big) the body of a man was found. The strange thing was he was wearing a rubber diving suit.

Investigations concluded the poor fucker was undertaking his hobby in a lake which was being used by planes for scooping up water for dousing the flames.

Funny, was thinking about that other day when they called the choppers in.

We were told that story in a school assembly

Great story!

• Site Supporter

Someone at work said that the Fire Fighters didn't seem to be wearing much PPE? I assume, if MickyD or if anyone else can advise, that what they are wearing is well within the required standards?

Also, would they sign any legal waivers before attending a fire like this, or is it part and parcel of the job?

• Site Supporter

The reality is they ought to be wearing full kit. The common sense is that if you do you'd soon keel over through heat exhaustion. Note they will all be wearing boots and over trousers. If the flames are too big then step back. Once the fuel had gone get back close in.

• Site Supporter

Might be worth starting another thread.

Fire looks better today, lot less smoke billowing off the hill, maybe they're getting a grip.

Some of the videos/photos prove what a set of heroic lunatics they are.

Just to add a WWays element to it, one of the firefighters who tweeted earlier is this lass:

https://twitter.com/l_herdman

I didn't look for her facebook pictures of her on a firemans pole, my mate did. He says they're very very good....

A pretty lass.

Went to a retirement at the beginning of June where I met one of the new firefighters on my old watch.

36481725_10156625210124558_6549327764892

Has it crossed Belmont road then?

Can't imagine it crossed the road but I was genuinely shocked it had come so far down the hill. On my way to work in the morning I couldn't see it at all so it must've progressed a fair bit during the day.

If it started in Rivington and has ended up right down next to Belmont Rd that's a fucking lot of grass and wildlife that's perished.

The parents engagement at rivi is shocking, we hear nothing from them, they never call back, teachers not turning up to prents evening. Utter shambles.

On the bright side, my lad is doing well.

I think the shocking thing about Rivi is it shouldn’t be performing so badly, George Toms (or Kersley Academy) has a much worse and smaller intake, it’s not comparing like with like.

Put it this way, all my family are teachers and been teachers in Bolton, and they would avoid Rivi as a school.