Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Thoughts On Southgate And The Future Of England

Didledee

4th out of 32.

Well done @England ????????????????????????

We asked for progress.

We wanted youth.

We wanted to love an England team again.

We got all.

To haters, keep hating, we're producing kids at rate me for one is very happy with.

Expect to see the English at the pointy end a LOT.

Great stuff from SVC

The @England national teams.

U-20 World Champions

U-17 European Champions

U-21 3 successive Toulon Championships.

Men's National Team, World Cup 4th

St George's Park, it's coaching pathway and vision..

Is working.

Keep the faith, good times are coming.

Miles behind other nations my arse

SVC

• Site Supporter

Now the dust has settled, truth is France and Belgium would both have beaten us if we had got to the final and I fully expect France to hand Croatia a new one today too.

Of the other teams who did qualify, I think Spain, Germany, Brazil and Mexico would have given us problems - but I would give us every chance of beating them.

We’re not the best team in the world but I feel we’re as high up the list as we have been over the last 10 years or so. Our problem now is getting a better squad together. When you’re back up players are Rose, Jones, Delph etc - that’s poor if you have designs on winning championships.

Hopefully these young guns coming through will get game time at their clubs over the coming seasons (or loan them to Bolton and we’ll give em a go)

• Site Supporter

The @England national teams.

U-20 World Champions

U-17 European Champions

U-21 3 successive Toulon Championships.

Men's National Team, World Cup 4th

St George's Park, it's coaching pathway and vision..

Is working.

Keep the faith, good times are coming.

Miles behind other nations my arse

SVC

Sorry, but we're in danger of getting over hyped to fuck again

I like Southgate and what he has done and the cut of his jib,

However I'd say we are still miles behind the top nations (which I would say are France, Belgium, Spain and Germany)

OK our kids have done well, but it's a big step up from 17 upwards, we could quite easily not qualify for the next tournament, 

And as for a welcome home party, you can fuck right off

Sorry, but we're in danger of getting over hyped to fuck again

I like Southgate and what he has done and the cut of his jib,

However I'd say we are still miles behind the top nations (which I would say are France, Belgium, Spain and Germany)

OK our kids have done well, but it's a big step up from 17 upwards, we could quite easily not qualify for the next tournament,

And as for a welcome home party, you can fuck right off

over hyped?

Not sure about that; all I’ve heard since Weds is that we had an easy route, we created nothing blah blah

Most sensible folk are just happy with a bit of team integrity and incremental progress

• Site Supporter

over hyped?

Not sure about that; all I’ve heard since Weds is that we had an easy route, we created nothing blah blah

Most sensible folk are just happy with a bit of team integrity and incremental progress

aye, over hyped by pundits in my opinion, not so much social media although folk on this board seem to be getting carried away a bit too much

We did well, definitely. Won a knock out match after 90 minutes and a penalty shootout so we've got that off our backs.

But the senior team were clearly some way behind the other semi finalists. Also, as well as Southgate has done, I'm worried he might be a little too stubborn with this 3 at the back. That clearly needed changing in the second half against Croatia but he didn't. Good managers always recognise when a change is required mid match and know how to adjust. Just hope he changes things around as and when necessary in the Nations League and the Euro qualifiers.

But it does look like the start something good, especially with the youth teams coming through. Heading in the right direction.

The Young/Rose position will be Ryan Sessegnon's very soon, the lad is a star in the making,

Add the OX and Lallana into the midfield options too.

Lallana has had his chance, he is 30!!!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.