Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

England V Colombia

gonzo

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jul/02/gareth-southgate-england-avoid-traps-colombia

This bit, fuck me:

"Hodgson and his assistant, Ray Lewington, did not even bother going to the Iceland-Austria game to make a personal check their next opponents, preferring instead to spend the day sightseeing and going on a boat journey down the river Seine."

That's literally inSeine

100% deliberate that time Whites man

Anyone else getting a bit giddy? Will be full on nervous ants in my pants come 6pm

I’m way too excited

But it’s great even feeling we’ve got a sniff of a chance

Invited to a big do in London tonight, but politely declined

Just hope as a nation we aren't being way too complacent.

Colombia won't be a pushover. Neither will be the winner of Sweden and Switzerland.

We've looked decent against a couple of poor nations but still had our wobbles in those games.

I really wonder how we would've have coped going 2-0 to Japan with 35 mins to play.

Cmon England!!!!

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jul/02/gareth-southgate-england-avoid-traps-colombia

This bit, fuck me:

"Hodgson and his assistant, Ray Lewington, did not even bother going to the Iceland-Austria game to make a personal check their next opponents, preferring instead to spend the day sightseeing and going on a boat journey down the river Seine."

I've read that somewhere before, would love to know what the fuck they were thinking doing that.

Did anyone watch the documentary "Scotland 78 A Love Story" on BBC the other day? Well worth watching if not, but Ally MacLeod was asked on that if he'd watched Iran or Peru in the build up to their group games and he just said no Ive been concentrating on preparing my own team. It reminded me of that.

I expected us to take Iceland out fairly easily in that game (actually thought we hadnt played "too" badly through the group stage) and it was set up for a QF against France on the following Saturday night which would have been huge.

I don’t understand the nerves.

3-1 to us, ........Kane with 2 and Rashford with a breakaway......shit if we can’t beat a bit of Colombian.

Cameras will be constantly zooming in on beautiful South American ladies then comparing them to fat Sandra from Sheffield.

Just hope as a nation we aren't being way too complacent.

Colombia won't be a pushover. Neither will be the winner of Sweden and Switzerland.

We've looked decent against a couple of poor nations but still had our wobbles in those games.

I really wonder how we would've have coped going 2-0 to Japan with 35 mins to play.

Cmon England!!!!

We'd have struggled I reckon.

We only really have one plan/style of play.  When teams adapt we struggle.

Our best chance is to get at teams from the off and try and edge in front early - I'd say we've got a good chance of doing that against any team I've seen so far

And yes, I'm getting nervous now.

Played ok. But our lack of real genuine quality in midfield and out wide shines through. How do we break a team like this down? Trippier taking free kicks exemplifies this. Not enough genuine quality when it matters.

Going to be a scrap and a case of who keeps their heads and takes probably one chance.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.