Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Kids Footy Advice

HomerJay

Football at 13s/14s age is the time it gets real.

At grassroots they've probably missed the academy boat by then.

You can see the good uns at 7-8 year old but there's a massive drop out rate from that age.

There's also a big clique. IE town team, only some schools receive the email about trials. And then don't get told when said trials are cancelled.

Sounds like you are aware of the cancelation of town team trials friday???

I saw it on twitter so asked on teams whatsapp group and some lads had been told at school and some hadn't.

Anyhow, best I've seen is the centre forward at Cherrybrook. Love his attitude.

I saw it on twitter so asked on teams whatsapp group and some lads had been told at school and some hadn't.

Anyhow, best I've seen is the centre forward at Cherrybrook. Love his attitude.

He the ginger lad u13 this season finished ?

Who does your lad play for?

Edited by Pablo

It's a tough one.  My lad was at City and United, then got picked up by Bolton and signed for them at Under 9's (we were in Premiership)

Had 5 years there, went to Rochdale for 6 months and now play's grass roots and for the Town team Stockport boys.

Whilst it's free coaching and they get to do some things that some lads will only dream off (playing at grounds, visiting places, free gear, tickets, being mascot etc), it is a very clicky and lonely place.  Lot's of second guessing, lots of "who you know", tears, conspiracy theories the lot.  Put that on top the sacrifices you make (training up to 5 times a week, not knowing you are at Newcastle away on Sunday until Friday night, sessions put on / off at a moments notice, ruling your life around it, kids missing being with their mates, sleepovers etc) it is a tough call.

My view on it ?  If I had my time again, I would wait a few years.  Football in the real world from under 14's upwards, shows your "street" mentality.  Academy football is very fluffy, players are protected, no abuse from side lines etc etc etc

Look at Cahill, only pickled up at 15 - if you continue to shine through the school of hard knocks, you will get picked up and at least you will have had your childhood.

A lot of the time, it's the parents trying to live the dream, through their son.

Just take the time to have a real think........................................

Edited by marple whites

Recently found out little un can still play futsal. Best of both worlds

His season finished with an outward bound evening up near Pendle; he's dropped down to u8s from u9s grass roots team to get a few games over the summer...

Tournament in Ripon in August up next.

If your lads good enough mate, he'll get there. If you are in a good grassroots club, with good people, then enjoy it. Whatever you do, you're putting your little un first; it's the right choice.

• Site Supporter

Whilst it's free coaching and they get to do some things that some lads will only dream off (playing at grounds, visiting places, free gear, tickets, being mascot etc), it is a very clicky and lonely place.  Lot's of second guessing, lots of "who you know", tears, conspiracy theories the lot.  Put that on top the sacrifices you make (training up to 5 times a week, not knowing you are at Newcastle away on Sunday until Friday night, sessions put on / off at a moments notice, ruling your life around it, kids missing being with their mates, sleepovers etc) it is a tough call.

All this reminds me of my daughter's time with Lancashire Girls Cricket Team. She'd never even played cricket before but was pretty good at throwing and catching. A Lancs CC Coach visited her Primary school and noticed her ability. He invited us to attend a Lancs coaching session at Old Trafford which we did a few times. We were able to watch the sessions and, to be honest, she was better with both bat and ball than most of the other kids at the sessions. The difference was that the other kids turned up with the Lancs coaches. A chap from Burnley brought 3 girls with him. I think he was the head coach and all three of his players used to get in the team. Lots of others in the first XI were also brought from their clubs by folk who were also Lancs coaches.

So here we had a girl (my daughter) who was out-bowling and out-batting most of the rest of the kids but her dad wasn't a cricket coach. She never got in a starting XI until the very last game of the season when I received a call from the coach telling me daughter had made the team. We were told to bring her to O/T for 8.00 in the morning but if we wanted to go watching, we had to make our own way to Edgbaston. I asked if she'd made the team because the other regulars didn't want to travel to Birmingham. He didn't deny it so was politely told to piss off.

All this reminds me of my daughter's time with Lancashire Girls Cricket Team. She'd never even played cricket before but was pretty good at throwing and catching. A Lancs CC Coach visited her Primary school and noticed her ability. He invited us to attend a Lancs coaching session at Old Trafford which we did a few times. We were able to watch the sessions and, to be honest, she was better with both bat and ball than most of the other kids at the sessions. The difference was that the other kids turned up with the Lancs coaches. A chap from Burnley brought 3 girls with him. I think he was the head coach and all three of his players used to get in the team. Lots of others in the first XI were also brought from their clubs by folk who were also Lancs coaches.

So here we had a girl (my daughter) who was out-bowling and out-batting most of the rest of the kids but her dad wasn't a cricket coach. She never got in a starting XI until the very last game of the season when I received a call from the coach telling me daughter had made the team. We were told to bring her to O/T for 8.00 in the morning but if we wanted to go watching, we had to make our own way to Edgbaston. I asked if she'd made the team because the other regulars didn't want to travel to Birmingham. He didn't deny it so was politely told to piss off.

Women's cricket is poo. There's two good uns around that do well in lads junior cricket.

Both should go on to play for England.

• Site Supporter

Do they have other ages??

My lad plays for Jogabola Futsal club and they always looking for games.

Under 6/7/8/9/10 so far

Only been running since feb. As soon as there is enough interest then the next group is formed.

Edited by HomerJay

Under 6/7/8/9/10 so far

Only been running since feb. As soon as there is enough interest then the next group is formed.

Did any ages partake in the BBDFL futsal last year? A bit shambolic without managers and referees knowing the rules; hopefully about this year- the Aussie bloke knows his shit, and it's great for the development of kids; I'm a big fan

• Site Supporter

Did any ages partake in the BBDFL futsal last year? A bit shambolic without managers and referees knowing the rules; hopefully about this year- the Aussie bloke knows his shit, and it's great for the development of kids; I'm a big fan

No, we didn't exist last year.

Mic is the Aussie bloke you are referring to i assume. From Bolton futsal. Yes he does know his stuff. Top like too.

No, we didn't exist last year.

Mic is the Aussie bloke you are referring to i assume. From Bolton futsal. Yes he does know his stuff. Top like too.

You should see him dance!!!!!

My lad played for him in Barcelona. We went to Pasha (the dads only btw) and Mic got on a podium and danced his aussie ass off!!!????

Could anyone recommend a club for my lad. He’ll be 6 in a few weeks. He’s been playing in football classes for about 2 years. Hes Got the makings of having abit of talent been told from a few coach’s hes decent. Having not been involved in football myself for years I’ve no idea where would be decent for him. We live in the Chorley area.

• Site Supporter

Could anyone recommend a club for my lad. He’ll be 6 in a few weeks. He’s been playing in football classes for about 2 years. Hes Got the makings of having abit of talent been told from a few coach’s hes decent. Having not been involved in football myself for years I’ve no idea where would be decent for him. We live in the Chorley area.

sent you a message pal

Exactly - and it's so frustrating.  

You find yourself "filling in" as you feel you have too, but in reality - they have the "chosen" few they are interested in, the rest just make up the numbers and are almost an inconvenience.

• 2 weeks later...