Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Kids Footy Advice

HomerJay

WE have junior teams under the Colls banner, U6/7/8/9/10/11/12/13/14 they remain their own set up but use Colls as their team name, their managers use the club for meetings and all the teams have had a presentation day on the club [2 teams are having theirs this Saturday], my grandson plays for the U6 team and he loves it, they have organised games usually 5 a side every Saturday throughout the summer

WE have junior teams under the Colls banner, U6/7/8/9/10/11/12/13/14 they remain their own set up but use Colls as their team name, their managers use the club for meetings and all the teams have had a presentation day on the club [2 teams are having theirs this Saturday], my grandson plays for the U6 team and he loves it, they have organised games usually 5 a side every Saturday throughout the summer

Andy Mason I think runs the U14/U15 age's and may even be looking after the Academy u16's soon.

He used to play for Bolton, and is a super coach and cracking fella, he is a fireman too.

• 2 months later...

So I've just returned a ruined man from the Algarve; got to crow about it, my lad got man of the match vs Real Madrid

Apparently, in Europe they organise teams based upon calendar year, and not football seasons. Some of the continental kids were as much as a 18 months older than ours, which showed with the physicality side of it

Amazing tournament, amazing memories for the kids- Seville beat Atletico 1-0 in the final

• Site Supporter
7 minutes ago, Dr Faustus said:

So I've just returned a ruined man from the Algarve; got to crow about it, my lad got man of the match vs Real Madrid

Apparently, in Europe they organise teams based upon calendar year, and not football seasons. Some of the continental kids were as much as a 18 months older than ours, which showed with the physicality side of it

Amazing tournament, amazing memories for the kids- Seville beat Atletico 1-0 in the final

brilliant, well done him 

On 31/07/2018 at 14:48, Pablo said:

Andy Mason I think runs the U14/U15 age's and may even be looking after the Academy u16's soon.

He used to play for Bolton, and is a super coach and cracking fella, he is a fireman too.

Lee Mason’s brother   

• Site Supporter
On 31/07/2018 at 14:48, Pablo said:

He was on my watch.

• 1 month later...

My lad played his first tournament today at the Cliff. His school Team did well, finishing 3rd, but my lad stood out scoring all 10 goals which led to one of the United scouts asking him down to train with them on Fridays. However he only turns 6 tomorrow and this was his first ‘proper’ game today. Has anyone else had their kids at a pro club from such a young age and what are the pros and cons.

On 23 November 2018 at 21:17, royal white said:

My lad played his first tournament today at the Cliff. His school Team did well, finishing 3rd, but my lad stood out scoring all 10 goals which led to one of the United scouts asking him down to train with them on Fridays. However he only turns 6 tomorrow and this was his first ‘proper’ game today. Has anyone else had their kids at a pro club from such a young age and what are the pros and cons.

Take him down in a Wanderers kit. 

On 23/11/2018 at 21:17, royal white said:

Yeh, my 6 year old grandson was having a training day at Man U with his team, he must have impressed someone because they invited him to train with them.

This is how a trial seems to work these days, they look at them over a period of weeks then they release them if they don't think they have what they're looking for.

Out of 20 kids in his particular group 7 have been released, but at the moment my grandson is still there.

We haven't told him he's on trial, just told him he's doing a bit of training there for a bit.

He's 6 years old ffs, if he was my lad i'd have told Man U to fcuk off and come back when he's older - but it's obviously not my decision.

i would prefer him to just enjoy himself playing with his mates at 6 years old and if he's still showing promise in 3 or 4 years and a club wants to take him then fine. 

• Site Supporter
16 hours ago, Burndens Bogs said:

Yeh, my 6 year old grandson was having a training day at Man U with his team, he must have impressed someone because they invited him to train with them.

This is how a trial seems to work these days, they look at them over a period of weeks then they release them if they don't think they have what they're looking for.

Out of 20 kids in his particular group 7 have been released, but at the moment my grandson is still there.

We haven't told him he's on trial, just told him he's doing a bit of training there for a bit.

He's 6 years old ffs, if he was my lad i'd have told Man U to fcuk off and come back when he's older - but it's obviously not my decision.

i would prefer him to just enjoy himself playing with his mates at 6 years old and if he's still showing promise in 3 or 4 years and a club wants to take him then fine. 

Doesn't seem right at that age. 6 FFS.

Hope he does ok royal.

4 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Doesn't seem right at that age. 6 FFS.

Hope he does ok royal.

Cheers mate.

Yes it does seem to young, I’ll probably take him down to see what the crack is anyway (obviously I need to discuss contracts and work out when I can retire :) ) But I’m more than happy to just keep him with his mates at the local team for the time being 

Edited by royal white

• Site Supporter

My neighbour has a couple of lads at utd currently. They're a bit older and doing ok. In fairness, he reckons the staff are great and very understanding that kids performance levels can vary greatly, as they are growing etc.

I just hope they don't get shattered should they be rejected.

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

]I just hope they don't get shattered should they be rejected.

And there's the issue, both for the parent and the child. It is too easy for the big clubs to make massive promises of riches but if they take out  1000 kids from local teams and then only 1% actually make it, then 990 kids are totally gutted.

On 23/11/2018 at 21:17, royal white said:

6 is quite old now.

Man City take 3 year olds.

My lad was at United from 7 - 9 ish. Did him great, free training, they made it fun. Didnt always have to go.

Changed and got more serious at 12 ish for us, the trials got mor serious, the other lads treating it like a job more than fun etc.

Can make of break at some older ages, but its one of them.....try it, make a decision then.

Edited by Pablo

1 hour ago, MickyD said:

And there's the issue, both for the parent and the child. It is too easy for the big clubs to make massive promises of riches but if they take out  1000 kids from local teams and then only 1% actually make it, then 990 kids are totally gutted.

Nobody makes these promisies though, it doesnt happen.

Unless they are older, and money is switching hands, then I have found all these coaches abd scouts very honest. They will suger coat feedback at times to not hurt feelings, buut nobody is promising that 10 yead olds will become super stars.

C you know MT surely? Noah was at Wigan from 4 and Burnley at 5- he loved it. He went to City and didn't, so we stopped taking him. He's a bit gutted now he cant play with his mates at his grass roots club, but I have made him my keeper coach so he is still involved. He sometimes feel pressured, but its my responsibility to keep him relaxed, happy, and focused. I tell him to enjoy the journey wherever it takes him, and assure him no matter what we are proud. He's only 9, and I'd be amazed, but not surprised if he is still there in 5 years time.  

I've seen players rejected, and I know it can be hard to take... But I've not come across a scout/coach promise the world, and as the kids get older, I understand clubs are as helpful as they can be; offering players the chance to train, help find other teams, and retain as coaches themselves. The latter happened to England's U16 keeper

Pros- great training, great opportunities, travel (UK and Europe)

Cons- you do meet some arrogant people, takes up a lot of time, pressure/disappointment

Edited by Dr Faustus