Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Kids Footy Advice

HomerJay

BWFC sponsored the under 7s league, Arena used as a central ground. Never once saw a Bolton scout. The lads grass roots team played them under the dome at the school. They have community coaching etc, but I have seen very little of a presence at the elite level.

Boltons top scout moved to City last year...and he has took loads of local scouts with him.

They say the opertunity for kids to get real development is better at city becuase the amount of coaches and free facilites they can offer.

Bolton have a couple of dev groups....you have to pay to be involved...and no clear road to the elite and contracted kids.

Edited by Pablo

My lad really didn't like it at City- I think it was because the others were quite established- plus as a keeper he was pretty bored when it came to matches as he had very little to do.

A couple of mates of mine scout there, and run a development centre in Bolton

Chicken wings are nice at Etihad Campus

• Site Supporter

woah, thanks guys. appreciate all the comments.

i cant reply to all, but after looking at what folk are saying, doing a lot of reading about the whole sub-academy development schools and obviously speaking to my lad, we are going to continue denying all approaches. at least until he is 9. 

he isnt bothered about playing for anybody, unless its bolton. which is great obviously, i just dont want him to be held back (if there is such a thing)

thanks again.

oh and i was speaking (mate of) a mate, who is an established scout who now runs a scouting company providing scouting training and certification, and he said nobody under 9/10 should ever be "scouted" and approached. Its nonsense. Its just a way around pro clubs getting dibs on younger players before they are really allowed to offer them true academy places.

Edited by HomerJay

woah, thanks guys. appreciate all the comments.

i cant reply to all, but after looking at what folk are saying, doing a lot of reading about the whole sub-academy development schools and obviously speaking to my lad, we are going to continue denying all approaches. at least until he is 9.

he isnt bothered about playing for anybody, unless its bolton. which is great obviously, i just dont want him to be held back (if there is such a thing)

thanks again.

oh and i was speaking (mate of) a mate, who is an established scout who now runs a scouting company providing scouting training and certification, and he said nobody under 9/10 should ever be "scouted" and approached. Its nonsense. Its just a way around pro clubs getting dibs on younger players before they are really allowed to offer them true academy places.

I think that’s the correct call. Good luck.????

My mates lad is at citeh. His dad played for them so natural progression for his son to be scouted by them. He’s loving it and doing very well and showing signs of being a better player than his dad. The professional environment is definitely helping this but it is very much each to their own and upto the kids and parents what they think is best

• Site Supporter

My lad was a good player probably one of the best at junior level(yes I'm biased) but loads of his teammates from various teams stopped playing the game around the 15 year age because they didn't like the physical more aggressive stuff. He also played and captained a very good secondary school team where I witnessed one of his mates who was no where near the best player in the school not being allowed to play because his dad ex pro and coach at numerous clubs always got him in the academy of the club he was at he looked thoroughly pissed of when having to watch his real mates playing. Nepotism is rife and its a load of bollocks scouting kids at 7 and disregarding anyone who's not been at an academy at16 or 17.

Good luck little un- just keep enjoying yourself. If you are in with a good team, and a good set of parents you'll be fine; prsonally I cant wait to leave the grass roots behind- a poor team, whiny kids and pushy parents.

I think one of the lads at Burnley plays for Euxton Villa u8s, and dad manages them- very good set up by all accounts

Good luck little un- just keep enjoying yourself. If you are in with a good team, and a good set of parents you'll be fine; prsonally I cant wait to leave the grass roots behind- a poor team, whiny kids and pushy parents.

I think one of the lads at Burnley plays for Euxton Villa u8s, and dad manages them- very good set up by all accounts

Euxton villas alreet but not as good a set up as the mighty GreenArmy Charnock Richard FC. Villa our rivals but it’s a bit like Wigan thinking they're BWFC rivals. ???? Edited by Mounts Kipper

My mates lad is at citeh. His dad played for them so natural progression for his son to be scouted by them. He’s loving it and doing very well and showing signs of being a better player than his dad. The professional environment is definitely helping this but it is very much each to their own and upto the kids and parents what they think is best

U13 lad from Little lever ????

Edited by Pablo

Football at 13s/14s age is the time it gets real.

At grassroots they've probably missed the academy boat by then.

You can see the good uns at 7-8 year old but there's a massive drop out rate from that age.

There's also a big clique. IE town team, only some schools receive the email about trials. And then don't get told when said trials are cancelled.