Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Help With Angry Club

barryk32

Sport just seems to bring the worst out of people. Be it football or even cricket, I've known plenty of lads who wouldn't say boo to a goose off a pitch but once they're on it they turn into the most despicable people I've ever seen. Then, as soon as the game is over, they revert back to Mr Nice Guy. It's like proper Jekyll and Hyde stuff.

Similarly, you'll get folk walking down the street, people walking past them, bumping into them and they don't notice it. Put them behind the wheel of a car though and anyone so much as dares think about overtaking them and they're already feeling around for the steering lock so they can club them to death at the next traffic lights.

I reckon a very high percentage of folk just aren't wired up right.

Or maybe it's the calm ones like me who aren't wired up right. Who knows.

Valium / diazepam are given, to my knowledge, in case of anxiety attack or panic.

Citalopram, which I’m on, is used to treat depression and anxiety. It basically stimulates the serotonin receptor.

That’s basically the bit tells you every thing is going to be ok.

Otherwise known as Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors

It’s Not a reactive drug for want of a better word. You can’t feel it when you’ve taken it. It takes 3-4 weeks to bed in to your system and starts to stimulate those particular receptors in your system.

When those receptors aren’t getting what they need or getting out the right signal, all rational thought goes out of the window.

Rumination is my biggest problem. I went back on the Meds a few months ago and only just feel better. A month off the ale has helped too ????????

I’ve never been offered diazepam and such like, and rightly so. My mate Scouse Richie can get as many as you want though :D

I’m on that citalopram and fuck me if i go a few days without it I’m bad plenty of times the Mrs says stop taking that and I’m off????

When I was on Citalopram, I was worried it’d just make me numb, as in not getting worried but also not feeling happy. In reality, I just found it helped me ‘cope’. Still experienced good and bad moods.

I’m on that citalopram and fuck me if i go a few days without it I’m bad plenty of times the Mrs says stop taking that and I’m off????

Exactly same haha Mrs said if I ever come off it again she’s leaving me :D

That first couple of days you just feel wired.

As Alibob alludes to, it just bumps you back up to normal.

You still get every day anxiety, down a bit or completely lose your rag from time to time. That’s just life. With that stuff I think it just gives you the tools to deal with it better, life everyone else, as opposed to it ruining your whole fucking life for days on end :D

You on any meds for anger baz? Always a last resort of course.

Exactly same haha Mrs said if I ever come off it again she’s leaving me :D

That first couple of days you just feel wired.

As Alibob alludes to, it just bumps you back up to normal.

You still get every day anxiety, down a bit or completely lose your rag from time to time. That’s just life. With that stuff I think it just gives you the tools to deal with it better, life everyone else, as opposed to it ruining your whole fucking life for days on end :D

You on any meds for anger baz? Always a last resort of course.

had a review other week they suggested I see someone as I’ve been on these a while now, doctor said worse thing you can do is skip days as it takes time to get back into your system by which I’m a loose canon.

• Site Supporter

I was on citalopram for a while and found it hard to jizz.

I've never had it; sertraline for me.

I reckon it helped a fair bit at first, but still got a bit shitty in winter. They upped the dose which didn't really help (unless I'd have been even worse without).

Anyway, been significantly better since I had cbt and pregablin. It's used for nerve pain and a top up for epilepsy medication. Helps calm me down, still have some of those previously described meltdowns - the dishwasher is current testament to that- but better.

I've since halved my sertraline dose, a bit at a time, I'll pause where I am currently, as can sometimes feel it.

Hopefully next year will start to reduce again, but it's bloody tough.

Weight gain and joint pain is the price to pay in terms of side effects.

Fucking ell, is everyone on here on anti-depressants?

I was prescribed Citalopram years back but it gave me lock jaw and I felt like I was coming off an E all the time.

Doctor said 'that shouldn't happen' and encouraged I just crack on with them.

I stopped.

I think Gonzo mentions this above but clean living (with a few indulgences) exercise, fresh air and avoiding things that cause stress seem to do the trick.

Tmgj and I have spoke a few times about the benefits of going chopping trees down with chainsaws or just getting out and doing things with your hands. It helps that's for sure but there are days where leaving the house is too much to face.

Forcing yourself out to do the things that are needed like earning money and getting mini me to school are all I can manage some days. Stuff like helping the father in law on his bits of land are perfect as I don't have to deal with the general public being bellends.

Edited by frank_spencer

Of all the many and complexed reasons the NHS is on its arse, i don't think folk being more aware of mental health and the available medication is anywhere close to being a contributing factor.

Correct, however, the misprescribing in Mental Health, and other Central Neevous System disorders, causes problems that contribute to the wastage of NHS money. Nowhere near as bad as in the 90’s/00’s but still needs massive improvement

Shocked me how many are on stuff.

Who's gonna be man enough to tell everybody to pull themselves together? ;)

In all seriousness I do think with depression there is an element of that.

I wouldn't want to be on meds long term and use meditation, exercise and other stuff to keep healthy.

I would never belittle mental health problems but sometimes we're our own worse enemies.  Accepting we can control some elements gives us power and some positive thoughts to work with - less helpless, if you will.

Time and a place though - nothing worse than someone giving it the 'you need to x y or z . . . stop being so . . .' when you're down.