Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Italia 90

Smiley

My favourite World Cup ever and still get upset at the semi final outcome.

18 year old. Loving life. Pubs, clubs, beer, drugs, great music (Madchester).

David Platt’s later winner. Student Ritzy being invaded by football lads. Dance floor rammed solid for World in Motion. Bouncers closing it down.

Scraping past Cameroon.

Betting your life on Stuart Pearce as he stepped up for his penalty.

Sulking for days on end afterwards.

Crazy to think most born after 1980 probably have no recollection of this.

Hoping we can rewrite history this week and go one step further.... if not all the way.

90 World Cup has become this huge cultural thing in England, great memories for our run to the semis but far from a great tournament.

But WC2018 has had our run and also an absolutely brilliant tournament as a whole, already this will be getting talked about in 50 World Cup Moments That Shook The World programs in about 30 years. And as someone said on Twitter, we’re now approaching documentary territory here.

Only thing probably lacking for me, a soundtrack to rival 1990’s.

90 World Cup has become this huge cultural thing in England, great memories for our run to the semis but far from a great tournament.

But WC2018 has had our run and also an absolutely brilliant tournament as a whole, already this will be getting talked about in 50 World Cup Moments That Shook The World programs in about 30 years. And as someone said on Twitter, we’re now approaching documentary territory here.

Only thing probably lacking for me, a soundtrack to rival 1990’s.

Take it your not a fan of the song England fans have been singing relentlessly then?

Couldn’t place it at first but I’m sure it’s Atomic Kitten, you can make me whole again

Fuck me

My favourite world cup and always will be unless England win one!

There was something special about 90 that cannot really be explained - the football wasn't always great, but it was above and beyond that, perhaps its just romantic youthful memories. I was there for the Cameroon game, we were outplayed but won. There were lots of men in tears that night!

The heartbreak of penalty defeat was almost in itself special. Sir Bobby hugging Gazza beforehand and telling him "its your first one son, you'll be ok". So sad and poignant.

But mostly I remember the way our disgusting and abhorrent media hounded Sir Bobby, in the most appalling way. How they distorted what an exceptional person he was for their own end. And how he shoved it right back down their throats in that tournament. 

My favourite world cup and always will be unless England win one!

There was something special about 90 that cannot really be explained - the football wasn't always great, but it was above and beyond that, perhaps its just romantic youthful memories. I was there for the Cameroon game, we were outplayed but won. There were lots of men in tears that night!

The heartbreak of penalty defeat was almost in itself special. Sir Bobby hugging Gazza beforehand and telling him "its your first one son, you'll be ok". So sad and poignant.

But mostly I remember the way our disgusting and abhorrent media hounded Sir Bobby, in the most appalling way. How they distorted what an exceptional person he was for their own end. And how he shoved it right back down their throats in that tournament.

You saw England win a thrilling World Cup quarter final on a scorching night in Naples and your abiding memory of the tournament is the tabloids’s treatment of Bobby Robson?

It’s like one of those forced arguments on Talk Sport.

Take it your not a fan of the song England fans have been singing relentlessly then?

Couldn’t place it at first but I’m sure it’s Atomic Kitten, you can make me whole again

Fuck me

You could say that yeah!

Although if I was there who knows, when in Samara and all that...

I have fond memories if Italia '90, but it had plenty of shite matches for sure.

Imo this tournament beats it by a country mile.

Just flicked through Wiki and you aren’t wrong. My memory of the event was certainly different at the time. 5 drawn matches and one solitary win in our group.

1982 as a young kid was definitely better!

We took Darius Vassell to a world cup!

Watching this first half just confirms what I'd always remembered - we were on top in that game and their goal was so scabby!  

To think Bull could have had a WC winners medal ha ha

He weren't that bad to be fair :) 

Watching this first half just confirms what I'd always remembered - we were on top in that game and their goal was so scabby!  

To think Bull could have had a WC winners medal ha ha

He weren't that bad to be fair :)

We should have beaten the Germans in 90 minutes. Didn't take the chances we had. World cup games at that level are decided on really small moments. Wednesday will be no different. There is never much between sides and its about the critical little things.

96 another example, Gazza an inch away from putting us in the final, and we'd have won the Euros if he'd managed that extra inch. 

And as someone said on Twitter, we’re now approaching documentary territory here.

They'll have a montage of football mixed in with the collapse of brexit and May's government falling apart with some Rita Ora shite on int background

They'll have a montage of football mixed in with the collapse of brexit and May's government falling apart with some Rita Ora shite on int background

The bloke going through the glass roof of the car will make the montage.

Hopefully the photo Gonzo retweeted yesterday of the celebrating naked bloke won't make it.

The bloke going through the glass roof of the car will make the montage.

Hopefully the photo Gonzo retweeted yesterday of the celebrating naked bloke won't make it.

It already sounds like a winner. Chuck in a prologue about post austerity Britain in the grip of spice (cue teeth falling out video) before the tournament and its got it all.

Fuck it let's direct it ourselves!

Managed to squeeze in "One Night in Turin" and "Gazza's Tears" documentaries this afternoon whilst working.

Still don't think the emotion of 1990 has been captured in this World Cup. Only have to watch either or both of those.

Terry Butcher's comments about the "Escape Committee" - and their illicit drinking around Sardinia's smaller bars.... suggesting if it was a drinking World Cup - we'd have won it hands down!! And then, every time England won, the players partied harder!

Managed to squeeze in "One Night in Turin" and "Gazza's Tears" documentaries this afternoon whilst working.

Still don't think the emotion of 1990 has been captured in this World Cup. Only have to watch either or both of those.

Terry Butcher's comments about the "Escape Committee" - and their illicit drinking around Sardinia's smaller bars.... suggesting if it was a drinking World Cup - we'd have won it hands down!! And then, every time England won, the players partied harder!

If I was 18 now it’d be different I think.

Give it 20 years ????

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.