Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Most Hated And Favourite Insects.

Hate wasps, stung my dog and she had a bad reaction to it, face swelled really bad and lumps on back, fly things that attract to your tv screen are annoying too.

Don't think I've ever thought like "this/that is my fave insect"

Swear a wasp will give my wife a heart attack one day. Had to pull over on the m1 once because one flew in the car and she ran about the hard shoulder flapping about like one of those crazy Swedish girls that ran in front of a lorry.

Them woodlice things fuck me over.

Them woodlice things fuck me over.

Taste like prawns, apparently :) 

I like insects/bugs.  Spiders are amazing, watching one spin a web is a thing of beauty but some I've seen in tropical climes have made me rather reticent to get too close.

Scorpions as well - watched one get 'taken down' by an army of ants once.   I'm clearly sad as fook but I was gripped and watched them for about an hour.

Used to love sitting in a hammock of an evening in Asia and watching all the bug life fly round the outside lamp - like a real life Planet Earth and much better than the TV.  You could see the food chain in action - usually resulting in a fook-off lizard appearing at the end of the night if you were rural.

A fella I know was hospitalised from a horse fly bite when out golfing t'other day - anything that flies and bites/sucks blood is a turn off.

• Moderators

Taste like prawns, apparently :)

I like insects/bugs. Spiders are amazing, watching one spin a web is a thing of beauty but some I've seen in tropical climes have made me rather reticent to get too close.

Got a lot of time for spiders and their tactical use of webs to do in other insects

• Site Supporter

If a greenfly or ladybird lands on me I try and push them off gently, wasps can fuck right off and I'll swat em if I get the chance, bees are ace, but every time I open my back door one or two fly in to the kitchen (can't see a nest), saved about 40 of em that have looked dead, placed em on a plate and given them sugar and let them out into the garden.

Spiders are a funny one, always had a fear of them but have learnt to overcome the fear with self hypnosis (I think that's what I've done). Happy to let em stroll about now.

Edit, forgot about the horsefly, the most horrible fucker of the lot, one left me with a bloody arm yesterday but it's cleared up now, it was only the size of a normal fly though, seen some folk with horrible wounds off these critters.

Edited by Alf Hartigan

I was rudely awakened last week just after getting off (to sleep) by an awareness something was mooching about on my eyebrow.

It was a black bug with a big fat single abdomen, the cunt either bit me or squirted acid, it hurt whatever it did.

Probably came off the tree outside through the velux window, anyway I nominate that cunt for most hated.

Lazy sluggish bumblebees are loved.

• Site Supporter

something bit or stang me last week, right at the top of my leg.. came out with a huge blistery sore..

not a fan of bugs, customer had atlas moth cocoons in her house, absolute massive! Buys them online but not allowed to let them out. 

• Site Supporter

Moths (together with spiders) are creatures that I've learned to tolerate and appreciate as I've got older.

Whilst at uni, I'd been for a few beers with a lad from county Durham.

Got back to the digs and went in the communal kitchen where several people were having a brew.

My pissed mate suddenly grabbed a large moth off the wall and proceeded to chomp the poor fucker in front of everyone.

Always felt a bit sorry for moths since. :(