Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Gazza

MickyD

I'd wager that Gazza has been given more chances and more offers of help than anyone else would have been given.

It's all very sad, but instead of everyone repeatedly saying "Poor Gazza, he needs help", he needs to look at himself. If he can of course.

5 hours ago, DazBob said:

I'd wager that Gazza has been given more chances and more offers of help than anyone else would have been given.

It's all very sad, but instead of everyone repeatedly saying "Poor Gazza, he needs help", he needs to look at himself. If he can of course.

If he can of course being the key point? His actions with Raul Moat suggest perhaps not.

11 hours ago, Youri McAnespie said:

I'm far from a fan of Chris Evans, his broadcasting output is shite and his wooing of a teen Billie Piper was skating on the verges of noncery IMO, however I believe he's paid the lion's share (and rallied others to contribute) for at least two swanky USA-based detoxes for Gascoigne. The buck has to stop with the person at the centre, unfortunately, personal responsibility and avoidance of  adopting a 'poor me' attitude are the foundation stones of recovery and continued wellbeing...

Chris Evans is a great bloke.

As for Gazza, even old allies in the North East have “had enough” of him not sticking to what’s been out in place to help him. 

Some folk just have a self destruct button

To be fair when I (we) was 35 my best mate took up with a girl in her early twenties and I gave him the "beeeaaassttt" hiss treatment...

I can imagine Evans being a good bloke and it seems he's stepped up to the plate more than once for Gazza.

I suspect Gazza would be in the same circumstances, albeit reduced, if he'd been a plasterer or welder - although being talented and thus spending a good portion of his life where "no" wasn't in the vocabulary of a big proportion of his coterie can't have helped either.

I watched a documentary about him many years ago and it always stuck with me.

His ex-wife and their children were looking for him in Portugal as i think he'd had another relapse.

He came across as a despicable creature and at the time i remember his son had no time at all for him.

It certainly changed my opinion of him anyway....

I know alcholism is an illness and one of his young friends dying is also given but he's never grown up and had more help than anyone.

No sympathy from me.

• 1 month later...

My partners mates stayed at the Holiday Inn up north at Christmas and Gazza was staying there after a row with his family.  Anyhow, he asked could he join them and the posed for pictures etc.  The upsetting bit is he was leathered, smoking and flicking fag ash on the carpet and he emptied a crisp packet onto the table and was scooping them up into his mouth.  They helped him to his room, he came back down a while later asking where his mobile phone is and it was in his hand.   I hope it’s just a blip, he’s a national treasure and I want him to help himself.  Bloody upset me hearing this.  

• Site Supporter
47 minutes ago, Breightmet Boy said:

My partners mates stayed at the Holiday Inn up north at Christmas and Gazza was staying there after a row with his family.  Anyhow, he asked could he join them and the posed for pictures etc.  The upsetting bit is he was leathered, smoking and flicking fag ash on the carpet and he emptied a crisp packet onto the table and was scooping them up into his mouth.  They helped him to his room, he came back down a while later asking where his mobile phone is and it was in his hand.   I hope it’s just a blip, he’s a national treasure and I want him to help himself.  Bloody upset me hearing this.  

A great shame indeed, but I won't lose sleep over it.

Reminds me of George Best; had more help and offers of help than your average bloke would get.

Sooner or later he has to do it himself.

• 5 months later...

Rather people didn’t post it,  can find it on Twitter 

It makes for uneasy viewing such a shame that one of the greatest technical player this country has produced ending up like that very sad 

Edited by Elson

• Site Supporter
3 hours ago, miamiwhite said:

It’s very sad indeed.

Arguably the greatest footballer I’ve ever seen and one we all idolised.

Such a shame to see him like this, praying he gets the much needed help he requires.

Unfortunately mate, if he doesn't want to sort himself, then all the offers of help will mean nowt.

I'm sure the likes of lineker etc will have done loads behind the scenes.

Short of kidnapping him and squirreling him away on some remote island with no ale etc, hard to see what else an be done.

• 9 months later...
  • Members
39 minutes ago, frank_spencer said:

I love the image of his manager getting the phone call when he rocked up with tinnies and some chicken at the Raul Moat stand off.

He's done WHAT?

I like the picture of the copper right before it all went off 

1 minute ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Haven't really got any more sympathy for the fella to be honest.

He's had a massive amount of support and blown it. Lock him away on a remote Scottish island and get him to farm oats. Well away from a boozer.

He'd be growing hops and barley before you know it.

5 hours ago, frank_spencer said:

I love the image of his manager getting the phone call when he rocked up with tinnies and some chicken at the Raul Moat stand off.

He's done WHAT?

That was an amazing night. Was already glued to the news surrounding the stand-off, and then breaking:-

*PAUL GASCOIGNE HAS ARRIVED AT THE SCENE*