Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Melbourne Cup 2018

medwaywhite

8 hours ago, bolty58 said:

Enzo - I realise that the post above was a veiled dig.

Please remember that horses birthdays in the northern hemisphere are January 1st and in the southern hemisphere - August 1st.

Widely reported down here that a lightly raced 4yo has won the big race for the second year running.

Touche.

Wasn’t a dig at you so much as at received racing wisdom. We have the same over here about draw bias all the time - pundits will queue up to tell you the John Smith’s Cup is hard to win from a high draw despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary.

I know (think?!) you’re being glib about the ages but, while the variation in birthdates between the hemispheres makes sense when kept in context, it’s ludicrous to refer to a European 3yo as a 4yo - Cross Counter was foaled 274 days after Youngstar and, as such, would have to have waited four months to be ‘born’ in your neck of the woods.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
15 hours ago, enzo gambaro said:

Wasn’t a dig at you so much as at received racing wisdom. We have the same over here about draw bias all the time - pundits will queue up to tell you the John Smith’s Cup is hard to win from a high draw despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary.

I know (think?!) you’re being glib about the ages but, while the variation in birthdates between the hemispheres makes sense when kept in context, it’s ludicrous to refer to a European 3yo as a 4yo - Cross Counter was foaled 274 days after Youngstar and, as such, would have to have waited four months to be ‘born’ in your neck of the woods.

As I am sure you would be aware, many things they do down here appear ludicrous. TBF, the more intellectual outlets have been referring to the winner as a "European 3yo".

• 4 months later...