Melbourne Cup 2018

medwaywhite

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Cheers lads. 

Really interested to see Magic Circle go round in (hopefully) the Moonee Valley Cup. Ideal track for a Chester lover. That may be one I will have a go at even though you never know how the travel has affected them.

Quite a way from settling on one this year but, bearing in mind how many English attempts there have been without success, surely the time must come?

2 hours ago, bolty58 said:

Hmmm, not sure about that.

He was withdrawn less than an hour after I said he wouldn't be running. The trainer said the last run had taken too much out of him and that he had sore feet. It was widely reported shortly after his withdrawal, so I'm not so sure it's farcical.

As for ante-post betting, that's the risk you take for going after better odds. Here in the UK, it's generally accepted that you lose your money if it doesn't run, but the guy could have been less blunt, I suppose.

That said, they're only Aussies, classless pricks to a man.

• Members
15 hours ago, Traf said:

Hmmm, not sure about that.

He was withdrawn less than an hour after I said he wouldn't be running. The trainer said the last run had taken too much out of him and that he had sore feet. It was widely reported shortly after his withdrawal, so I'm not so sure it's farcical.

As for ante-post betting, that's the risk you take for going after better odds. Here in the UK, it's generally accepted that you lose your money if it doesn't run, but the guy could have been less blunt, I suppose.

That said, they're only Aussies, classless pricks to a man.

Amen to that. As Lloyd Williams said, they must be a bit stupid.

• Members

They say jockeys are shit judges. McDonalds statement here is certainly startling. Fiorente was the biggest moral I have ever seen in a Melbourne Cup and I backed it accordingly. Still my biggest ever single collect (in the 5 digit territory). After reading you blokes comments I am betwixt and betwuther!

https://www.racenet.com.au//news/james-mcdonald-makes-big-statement-about-2018-melbourne-cup-favourite-20181017

The fallout continues:-

https://www.racenet.com.au//news/chief-steward-explains-his-view-on-yucatan-caulfield-cup-drama-20181017

Edited by bolty58

• Members

Cliffs Of Moher? Blew the start in the Eclipse before running on at the end giving lumps of weight to Roaring Lion and Saxon Warrior. Crying out for a longer trip for me and must have a good chance in the Caulfield Cup. 16/1 for Melbourne and I think he’ll stay, even if his pedigree does beg to differ. 

• Members
  • Members
  • Members
On 29/10/2018 at 18:57, medwaywhite said:

It might be me but I can’t seem to open the last lot of information 

Not sure why mate but if you highlight one, right click and select "Go to https://........" you should get in.

They usually highlight in blue with underlining but I am too much of a computer numpty to tell you why these links didn't automatically do that.

• Members

Is Magic Circle going to win then?

I do hope so, as I've been sticking my free £10 bets with Paddy Power each week on it (£5 e/w) since Medway mentioned it back in August. Provided it comes in the first 4 then I'll be rather pleased, ecstatic if it wins mind (about £1K back I think) - I;ll even consider giving Medway a reach-a-round if it comes across the line first ;)

I know nothing about this race at all, so don't know if being one of the favourites actually means a great deal (with regards to historically winning)

• Members

• Members

Not starting another thread for this but, I watched the Wakeful Stakes earlier today and I believe they are fucking around with Verry Elleegant.

I suspect now that it will run a massive race in the Oaks and probably win after what I saw today. Held up at the back of the field and a complete non trier to my eye. I will be on on Thursday!

https://www.racenet.com.au//news/shakeup-of-vrc-oaks-betting-after-verry-elleegant-fails-in-wakeful-stakes-20181103

• Members

Not the best!!!

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/superracing/melbourne-cup-2018-barrier-draw-and-final-field/live-coverage/27f65efc5656d147b1785cd9a5b2c1bb

Still sticking though. Will also think about Best Solution (massive win in the Caulfield Cup) and Nakeeta as the local hope after favourable barrier draws. Just that top weights have rarely won this and Nakeeta is a dour stayer who likes the wet (which they are predicting for Tuesday.

If I get any feed from the racing contacts I have in Melbourne, I will let you know. They gave me the 100-1 winner Prince of Penzance a few years back and I completely ignored them! They have all sorts of contacts in and out of their shop - owners, trainers, jockeys etc. and get some good feedback. They even got Pat Eddery to sign a set of Dancing Braves colours for me some years back when he came over for the ''Legends' race.

Edited by bolty58