Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Melbourne Cup 2018

medwaywhite

2 hours ago, bolty58 said:

Not the best!!!

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/superracing/melbourne-cup-2018-barrier-draw-and-final-field/live-coverage/27f65efc5656d147b1785cd9a5b2c1bb

Still sticking though. Will also think about Best Solution (massive win in the Caulfield Cup) and Nakeeta as the local hope after favourable barrier draws. Just that top weights have rarely won this and Nakeeta is a dour stayer who likes the wet (which they are predicting for Tuesday.

Local to where? Nakeeta is trained in Dumfries and won last year’s Ebor. 

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
12 hours ago, enzo gambaro said:

Local to where? Nakeeta is trained in Dumfries and won last year’s Ebor. 

I anticipated this response. It is being claimed as the local hope by a bloke called Darren Dance.

https://www.thecourier.com.au/story/5738312/nakeeta-gives-atb-starter-in-melbourne-cup/

I wondered who would be first to react. Aussies also claim Phar Lap and Crowded House (NZers) although TBF Dance seems reasonable in this article above whereas yesterday at the end of the VRC Derby Day celebration, he did claim it as 'our local hope'. He also expressed joy at the predicted rainfall.

Nothing to see here.

Edited by bolty58

• Members

Latest gossip from racing types down here centres around Muntahaa, Magic Circle and Cross Counter (the last two despite poor draws).

A few whispers about Marmelo too.

I'll pass on anything I hear from Melbourne this evening or tomorrow morning but this lot I would be relying on comments from you fine fellows.

Muntahaa was an impressive, well-backed winner of the Ebor but if you were to take that run out I’d say he’d be a much bigger price.

Cross Counter has looked a staying star of the future on occasion this season but Old Persian let the form down a little bit when he disappointed in the Leger. He’s only a three year old but Charlie Appleby’s horses fare well on their travels and they’ve not taken him there for the weather. 

Marmelo is interesting - his run behind Vazirabad at Longchamp in the Spring reads well and on a line through Weekender you’d be hard pushed to find much between him and Muntahaa. I reckon he might benefit from a drop of rain but the jockey booking is obviously of note.

I’m sticking with Cliffs of Moher - I was pleased to see Moore take the ride and, while I find it hard to believe the draw is so important given the distance to the first turn, history says he’s drawn well enough. 

• Members

Enzo - based on what I have heard today, it is almost as though we received the same phone call! (and, TBF again, I note that these predictions are not new ones by yourself).

The 'talking' horse has been Yucatan and I reckon it's a false favourite (as low as 4.50 in some places this morning!). I reckon your once a year mug punters have leapt aboard because of the publicity AND the fact that the Crown Resorts owning Williams family own it and they do have a tremendous record. What your once a year punter probably don't know is that the Williams' are masters of directing publicity towards one they know can't win whilst their other(s) slip under the radar. Augurs very well for Cliffs of Moher. I am including it for certain and had good words for it from my Caulfield connections this morning. I am including for certain.

Likewise, they said that Magic Circle has been loving his time at Werribee and has not put a foot wrong nor left an oat. Corey Brown isn't worried about the barrier - only slightly concerned about the weight (as previously advised, he believes it should be carrying 1.5kgs less). Definitely on this one.

Muntahaa has been mentioned in all despatches this morning and I will be having a saver on it as well as including in the exotics.

The three bottom horses - Youngstar, Cross Counter and Rostropovich all given chances by local work watchers and pundits so these 6 are the basis  of my exotics and I've thrown in Yucatan, Avilius and Marmelo just in case.

Bets of luck to all. My best result would be Magic Circle but I hope you can all generate a quid or two out of the race.

Moore has earned some air miles this week, jeez!

Will have a couple of dart throws (just waiting on forecast) but to be honest I'm more interested in the Redcar card tomorrow. 

Then again I'm very much a high-volume, low-stakes kinda guy.

Edited by jmjhb

• Members
2 hours ago, medwaywhite said:

Raining in Melbourne won’t inconvenience magic circle

Raining!!!??? Fucking monsoonal! Track been downgraded from a Good 3 to a Soft 6. Ironic as Craig Williams was complaining yesterday that the track was 'ludicrously hard'.

Glad to hear this suits Magic Circle.

• Members

Phew. I had a saver bet on that thank fook!

Magic Circle no luck just on the bend and again just after. Buffeted out of the race.

These lightweight horses are becoming more and more prevalent in the M Cup winners circle in recent years. Very similar result to last year with Rekindling.

The CliffsofMoher thing was tragic. Right in front of the main grandstand too.

16 hours ago, Traf said:

Youngstar at a nice price would be my E/W punt, I think.

And that's where I should have stopped looking.

Got paid on that one plus Marmelo, but I'd rather have lost the lot and not seen the sad demise of another runner.

3 hours ago, bolty58 said:

Phew. I had a saver bet on that thank fook!

Magic Circle no luck just on the bend and again just after. Buffeted out of the race.

These lightweight horses are becoming more and more prevalent in the M Cup winners circle in recent years. Very similar result to last year with Rekindling.

The CliffsofMoher thing was tragic. Right in front of the main grandstand too.

what happened? I havent seen the race yet

• Members

Enzo - I realise that the post above was a veiled dig.

Please remember that horses birthdays in the northern hemisphere are January 1st and in the southern hemisphere - August 1st.

Widely reported down here that a lightly raced 4yo has won the big race for the second year running.

Touche.

• Members

Sweep - you beat me to the punch. Have a read of a few of these links - especially the top one. Appleby is universally liked down here (as are all Poms really - the convicts would just never admit it but it shows all the time in many ways) and a number of us have been saying for years that the English and Godolphin were definitely due to break their duck. Seems so fucking obvious after the event!

https://www.racenet.com.au//news/the-lefties--the-whip-farce-and-lessons-from-the-2018-melbourne-cup-20181107

https://www.racenet.com.au//news/poms-finally-strike-in-melbourne-cup---with-the-trifecta-20181106

https://www.racenet.com.au//news/has-the-melbourne-cup-generated-a-new-prototype-20181107

These links seem to be playing up again. Please highlight and then right click and select 'Go to https://...............'

Edited by bolty58