Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

The Official B*stard F*cking Trains Thread

Youri McAnespie

• Moderators

Northern Fail are a fucking disgrace.

We'll have flying cars before a normal train service is resumed.

id say our mps/govt are the disgrace

im not having it that this would have been tolerated down south

it was in the Bolton news at the end of June - it's hardly a suprise

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/16316641.no-trains-for-nine-days-as-railway-upgrades-set-to-finish/

...Work will finally be completed on Sunday, November 4, when weekend and mid-week work will come to an end...

Arse town hall steps...

As for this nine-day thing, I dunno if they've mentioned it again in the BN since June but I haven't noticed any erm, notices...

Edited by Youri McAnespie

id say our mps/govt are the disgrace

im not having it that this would have been tolerated down south

Northern Rail and the government

I’d say local MP’s are trying all they can

Totally agree with the sentiment though

NorthernPowerhouse is all well and fine when Manc city centre is booming but outside of major metropolis it’s a mess

• Moderators

only use trains for football

2 hours manc to london

over 90 mins from my house to manc - in theory, using bus and train it should be about 50 minutes, but services are so unreliable you have to get the one 2 before the one you need

• Members

Bus replacements mid-fucking week from Preston, Manc, Wigan etc. onward to Bolton.

Four (more?) years of shit so we can have loads of services whizz through Bolton without stopping, brilliant...

Vote for your avatar mate. That will stop them whizzing. Often not moving at all.

You'd vote for a pig with a blue rosette...

The train network, amongst other things (prisons and Royal Mail for example) are a fucking disgrace and proof that the Tory dogma of privatisation doesn't work wholesale.

They're fucking itching to do it to the NHS which will be the death of it, I probably will, reluctantly, vote Jezza's lot next time around, even if my vote isn't needed in my ward, where a halal sheep with a red rosette would win.

Edited by Youri McAnespie

• Site Supporter

Trains have always been shit. Nationalised, private or otherwise, we're relying on a network that was built 100 years ago to ferry people in stovepipe hats and petticoats to the seaside every so often.

It wasn't designed to cope with millions of people using it daily.

London gets all the investment because it's London, but the services out to the provinces are dog dirt there too. Central London is good.

We have to be a little realistic. We want to be able to get around the country for ten shillings on an ultra modern service, all with trains that are as frequent as George Best to the bar.

Of course it could be better, but it needs paying for.

Vote for your avatar mate. That will stop them whizzing. Often not moving at all.

They aren't moving now. And are measurably providing in some cases the worst services since tracking began. More trains are cancelled, more trains are overcrowded and more trains are late than ever before. Privatising the providers has failed.

It is too costly to renationalise but lets just call a failure a failure. 

Trains have always been shit. Nationalised, private or otherwise, we're relying on a network that was built 100 years ago to ferry people in stovepipe hats and petticoats to the seaside every so often.

It wasn't designed to cope with millions of people using it daily.

London gets all the investment because it's London, but the services out to the provinces are dog dirt there too. Central London is good.

We have to be a little realistic. We want to be able to get around the country for ten shillings on an ultra modern service, all with trains that are as frequent as George Best to the bar.

Of course it could be better, but it needs paying for.

London also got funding for crossrail as it whacked CIL payments on new developments

Build a shard and there's a nice tidy sum in kitty

Not enough to pay for it all, but as it gets put on minor developments such as a single house it would be interesting to see how much it's brought it

Trains have always been shit

Not true. The system was as good as any in Europe and intercity the fastest way to travel outside of Japan. This is why it was privatised as it was a good investment not because private companies were going to be its saviour.

Not true. The system was as good as any in Europe and intercity the fastest way to travel outside of Japan. This is why it was privatised as it was a good investment not because private companies were going to be its saviour.

Is that correct?

Didn’t the TGV start before we (correctly) privatised?

I remember going on it in 1982

Anyway, on the whole British Rail was shit.

• Site Supporter

RMT strikes every Saturday til end Sept. add those to all the others these last couple of years. I was a big critic of the union for using us passengers as pawns in their action vs northern rail and making me ride my bike to the quayside. Hello sailor. But after having a social chat with a couple of Train guards I learn that Northern rail puts them in such a difficult position with forced breaks leading to knock on delays and implausible timetables plus shit trains that my sympathy has shifted a bit.

Is that correct?

Didn’t the TGV start before we (correctly) privatised?

I remember going on it in 1982

Anyway, on the whole British Rail was shit.

Mid 70s intercity125. I am not a train buff I just watched a documentary on it yesterday, Time watch on iPlayer,