Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Phil Parkinson

Mounts Kipper

the 96/97 team was the best i have ever seen.

best team we have had , that include sam's era

Best team we’ve had that got relegated the next season...

Not even close to Big Sams teams in their pomp.

Todd wasn’t great. Had a great set of players but couldn’t keep them up.

• Moderators

Todd relegated a team that shouldve stayed up so cant be top 3, surely

He was unfortunate in that it was on goal difference and a points tally that would keep you up far more often than not

We've been promoted since and will be again but I doubt I'll see a team as dominant as that one

And he played a big part in the Rioch era, far more than your average assistant manager

He's in my top 3 but I started going in Phil Neals last season anyway

Those who played as Bolton on Champ Man 2001 will appreciate the job Allardyce did in keeping us up that first Premiership season.

I was always sacked before Christmas and can’t remember winning a game and as I later took Yeovil Town from the Conference to the Premiership was no slouch.

Those who played as Bolton on Champ Man 2001 will appreciate the job Allardyce did in keeping us up that first Premiership season.

I was always sacked before Christmas and can’t remember winning a game and as I later took Yeovil Town from the Conference to the Premiership was no slouch.

You just needed the right tactic.

I struggled for several seasons, but managed to win the league after ten. My brother did it in two. Balls to him.

He was unfortunate in that it was on goal difference and a points tally that would keep you up far more often than not

We've been promoted since and will be again but I doubt I'll see a team as dominant as that one

And he played a big part in the Rioch era, far more than your average assistant manager

He's in my top 3 but I started going in Phil Neals last season anyway

Unfortunate? Nah. He had a good group of players should never have come close.

I don't really get the Todd love in.

He seemingly gets away with the 95/6 season because McFarland takes all the blame. Bit of a stretch but whatever.

Then sure, the following season he assembles a great side and takes them up convincingly. No issue. But as a relegated side with money and keeping the majority of our squad together it probably is what should have happened.

Following season he spends a lot of money for Bolton but fails to keep us up. Certainly a better manager would have kept that team up no trouble,

Next season he has arguably an even better team yet fails to take them up. 

Having spent loads of money and failed two seasons in a row the club is in financial difficulty and in danger of going out of business. They sell players at the start of the following season and Todd walks out...having made that mess he walks.

Allardyce comes in and on a fraction of the money takes us up the next season and keeps us there, long term. Certainly didn't have what Todd got to spend.

Todd is way down the list for me. Certainly below Parky. 

Unfortunate? Nah. He had a good group of players should never have come close.

I don't really get the Todd love in.

He seemingly gets away with the 95/6 season because McFarland takes all the blame. Bit of a stretch but whatever.

Then sure, the following season he assembles a great side and takes them up convincingly. No issue. But as a relegated side with money and keeping the majority of our squad together it probably is what should have happened.

Following season he spends a lot of money for Bolton but fails to keep us up. Certainly a better manager would have kept that team up no trouble,

Next season he has arguably an even better team yet fails to take them up.

Having spent loads of money and failed two seasons in a row the club is in financial difficulty and in danger of going out of business. They sell players at the start of the following season and Todd walks out...having made that mess he walks.

Allardyce comes in and on a fraction of the money takes us up the next season and keeps us there, long term. Certainly didn't have what Todd got to spend.

Todd is way down the list for me. Certainly below Parky.

Gets away with what in 96? That team should’ve been relegated by Xmas.

We’d lost our best players and mcginaly wasn’t good enough.

He did well to make a small fist of it imo. We had our best ever season the season after.

9 times out of ten we stay up the season after that. Highest points total to go down at the time and an offside goal v Leeds from stopping up, never mind the Everton stuff. Granted it was the silly run without a win that caused it to go that close.

I don’t think a play off final the following season is a bad return. Not his fault Gudjohnson missed a gazillion chances before they put us to bed.

For that championship winning season alone he makes my top 3 anyway.

Edited by gonzo

Gets away with what in 96? That team should’ve been relegated by Xmas.

We’d lost our best players and mcginaly wasn’t good enough.

He did well to make a small fist of it imo. We had our best ever season the season after.

9 times out of ten we stay up the season after that. Highest points total to go down at the time and an offside goal v Leeds from stopping up, never mind the Everton stuff. Granted it was the silly run without a win that caused it to go that close.

I don’t think a play off final the following season is a bad return. Not his fault Gudjohnson missed a gazillion chances before they put us to bed.

For that championship winning season alone he makes my top 3 anyway.

Nah couldn't agree less. He had a great eye for a player. But that is where his managerial ability stopped.

Sam showed what a good manager can do with way, way less to spend.

Todd was an average manager who had a great scouting network and was a great judge of talent himself. But arguing we were unlucky to go down is a nonsense. We were in the sense that we went down on 40 points which at the time was a record. But our squad that season under say an Allardyce or even a Megson type would have stayed up. Just needed more realism going into many games. 

Then the season after was a disgrace that we didn't go straight back up. He nearly bankrupted us.

He was a really nice bloke and I'm not saying he was terrible. But he brought the club to its knees and what happened after clearly showed how a good manager makes the difference. Because we lost the quality players but did better. 

Miscounted! Point still stands that Sammy Lee is in the bottom 3 surely?

You could argue yes. Though worst after managing 10 games (ish) that season? You could also argue he wasn't allowed to be the worst.

The 3 prior to PP squandered so much cash relative to their peers it was untrue.

Edit that last line probably harsh on Lennon. Was Amos the only expensive signing? Still our wage bill was surely way above bottom of the league.

Edited by jayjayoghani