Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Phil Parkinson

Mounts Kipper

• Site Supporter

They should have been more than capable of staying in the Championship too, and yet...

Quite. But are you absolving Lennon of blame?

Mood in the camp then was rock bottom. I'll say that for parky, he seems that have managed to get a pretty fine spirit in the squad, and that's essential.

Quite. But are you absolving Lennon of blame?

Mood in the camp then was rock bottom. I'll say that for parky, he seems that have managed to get a pretty fine spirit in the squad, and that's essential.

No, but I think Lennon gave it up as a bad job when the players downed tools and it became clear he’d been sold a pup. Parkinson has played an admirable part in picking up the pieces.

Parky has indeed.

Re Lennon, for me once he'd lost his right hand man and the lack of funds became apparent, he lost his head and then the players.

Remember when madine called him a 'scottish cunt' or some such? Clearly shit was happening by then.

I’m not reading too much in Madine acting the cunt, but I think the players had gone before he did.

Why do you think that was. We played seriously well when he first came.

Gradually went down hill, getting faster and faster.

He lost it (and the team) after the Liverpool replay.

To us it was a match we'd like to have won but lost suddenly.

To him it was the chance to be the top Nor'n Ireland manager.

promotion from league 1 with a team strong enough to compete

survival in the championship with a squad whose aim was to stay up

expectations met for PP so far. nothing more nothing less

Expectation last year was relegation. Regardless of aim that was the reasonable expectation.

promotion from league 1 with a team strong enough to compete

survival in the championship with a squad whose aim was to stay up

expectations met for PP so far. nothing more nothing less

Charlton also had a squad capable of promotion,as Did Bradford and probably MK Dons as they had finished above us in the previous relegation season, so I assume their players were better than ours...understand your logic but PP did not simply meet expectations.

He turned around a poor championship squad of low confident players against a background of financial chaos,under a transfer embargo and his captain & most creative player incurred season ending injuries in August.

Lost his leading scorer on January deadline day,so I would say he may have had a strong squad (on paper) but he dealt with issues that no other manager in the division had to contend with.

So Alnwick beevers wheater and Taylor are not championship players. That back line was solid in league one and contributed to many points

He had the players end of

He signed those players. Didn’t have any of them when he arrived.

And he signed them under an embargo and all the restrictions that involves. Which was a lot.

Charlton also had a squad capable of promotion,as Did Bradford and probably MK Dons as they had finished above us in the previous relegation season, so I assume their players were better than ours...understand your logic but PP did not simply meet expectations.

He turned around a poor championship squad of low confident players against a background of financial chaos,under a transfer embargo and his captain & most creative player incurred season ending injuries in August.

Lost his leading scorer on January deadline day,so I would say he may have had a strong squad (on paper) but he dealt with issues that no other manager in the division had to contend with.

Regardless of other clubs aims our clubs aim would’ve been to get promotion at the beginning of the season I’ve a strong feeling that was the message in any board meetings regardless of the reasoning. Financial or otherwise - achieved

Last season our clubs aim would’ve been avoid relegation again regardless of the reasoning. Financial or otherwise - achieved

Targets met

Yes you could argue issues came up that made those targets more difficult, embargo, sale of Madine, whatever which gives Parkinson great credit but the fundamental targets were met regardless of how we got there and how difficult it was to do so.

Edited by barrycowdrill

does not matter he signed them they was quality for that league he had enough tools to do the job which he did.

When PP arrived at the club, he was faced with no money, a transfer embargo & a small number of remaining , underperforming players who by common consent should all have been hounded out of the club for their part in our spineless relegation.

Parky transformed the underperforming players - especially Madine - & got performances out of a bunch of free transfers, loans & unattached players who nobody else wanted.

PP did not "have" the tools for the job..........part of the fantastic job that he has done for us, is that he himself created the tools for the job without spending a penny.

When PP arrived at the club, he was faced with no money, a transfer embargo & a small number of remaining , underperforming players who by common consent should all have been hounded out of the club for their part in our spineless relegation.

Parky transformed the underperforming players - especially Madine - & got performances out of a bunch of free transfers, loans & unattached players who nobody else wanted.

PP did not "have" the tools for the job..........part of the fantastic job that he has done for us, is that he himself created the tools for the job without spending a penny.

as I said previously he did well getting these players for nowt however once assembled the squad really had to go up

• Site Supporter

what don’t you get? He had a squad which should and did go up

My goldline agent told me about a chat he had with parky at their event/dinner.

Parky told him they went up a year earlier than expected.

Whether that was they players picking themselves up, the manager doing well or both, it shows what the expectations were within the club.

As you said, whilst there are no guarantees, I was a squad that should do well in that league.

what don’t you get? He had a squad which should and did go up

If it's that easy to declare a squad that should go up, can you tell me who's getting promoted from the 3 divisions this season, & I'll get on down to Paddy Power?

He built a squad out of a bunch of failures and free transfers that had a fighting chance. No bookies and very few on here were predicting success and we had no greater prospect of going up than Charlton, MK Dons, Bradford, Scunthorpe and Southend.

If it's that easy to declare a squad that should go up, can you tell me who's getting promoted from the 3 divisions this season, & I'll get on down to Paddy Power?

He built a squad out of a bunch of failures and free transfers that had a fighting chance. No bookies and very few on here were predicting success and we had no greater prospect of going up than Charlton, MK Dons, Bradford, Scunthorpe and Southend.

bunch of fucking failures!

Wheater, ameobi,le fondre Karacan janes Henry & spearing

Then having young promises of clough and Vela

Not to mention beevers who had plenty of experience

He did well to keep things going behind the scenes financial side and turning madine around

If we had a billy Sharp that team would of broke records

Edited by radcliffe white