Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Phil Parkinson

Mounts Kipper

I bet maybe bar Sheff Utd we had the highest wage bill in that league even with the new signings

That would be including the daft wages being paid to the likes of Deryk, Pratley, Amos & Mavies who contributed nothing to the promotion.

I bet the wage bill for the players who actually played & earned the promotion would have been in the lower half of that league.

Spot on I'd hazard a guess we were higher. Can't have it both ways when pleading poverty now. Promotion was a minimum. That's why he jumped over to us

At what stage of that season was promotion a minimum? Going into august most of us were chuffed we still had a team to support. Despite the good start folk were still only talking of making the play offs right up until around March when actual promotion became a realistic possibility.

High wages means nothing, as Sunderland found out last year and Stoke are doing so far this.

Promotion that year was an incredible achievement. Stopping up last season was arguably as big an achievement. There'll still be folk (not aimed at you btw) who because we didn't play pretty triangles and tikka tikka won't give PP the huge credit he deserves. Madness imo

Edited by Duck Egg

At what stage of that season was promotion a minimum? Going into august most of us were chuffed we still had a team to support. Despite the good start folk were still only talking of making the play offs right up until around March when actual promotion became a realistic possibility.

High wages means nothing, as Sunderland found out last year and Stoke are doing so far this.

Promotion that year was an incredible achievement. Stopping up last season was arguably as big an achievement. There'll still be folk (not aimed at you btw) who because we didn't play pretty triangles and tikka tikka won't give PP the huge credit he deserves. Madness imo

I like the way you dismiss my comment when I asked what failures

I like the way you dismiss my comment when I asked what failures

Most of the players he inherited had just been properly relegated for starters.

Le Fondre had barely had a kick since his previous spell with us, Ameobi was a bit of a joke figure on Tyneside and Karacan had only started 20 games in getting on for four seasons.

It’s hard to agree that he just had to pick eleven players and put the kettle on.

Edited by enzo gambaro

Wages are pretty much used as a gauge of where teams will finish.

With the team we had it was a minimum for me from the word go

Each to their own but the being grateful to have a team stuff only goes so far for me.

PP has hit targets so it's not an argument as such but anyone who would of took being midtable in that league 1 season would be mental.

He left the play off finalists for us as he knew he had a better team here

Most of the players he inherited had just been properly relegated for starters.

Le Fondre had barely had a kick since his previous spell with us, Ameobi was a bit of a joke figure on Tyneside and Karacan had only started 20 games in getting on for four seasons.

It’s hard to agree that he just had to pick eleven players and put the kettle on.

no but let’s not make out they are shite players he picked off the street, as the season went on it got stronger and stronger

Anyway fuck it we got promoted main thing

Edited by radcliffe white

• Moderators

no but let’s not make out they are shite players he picked off the street, as the season went on it got stronger and stronger

Anyway fuck it we got promoted main thing

In January we lost ameobi and got somebody headed for jockland jumpers for goalposts

Radcliffe, You were not confident at all with the players Parky had that season.

I distinctly remember pre Fleetwood away and I suggested we needed 4 away wins to have a chance of automatic.

Your response was 'what we need and what we will get are two very different things'.

It's very easy to look back at that season now and pretend we were nailed on.

We were never anything like it and Parky should be rightly applauded for the job he did.

Radcliffe, You were not confident at all with the players Parky had that season.

I distinctly remember pre Fleetwood away and I suggested we needed 4 away wins to have a chance of automatic.

Your response was 'what we need and what we will get are two very different things'.

It's very easy to look back at that season now and pretend we were nailed on.

We were never anything like it and Parky should be rightly applauded for the job he did.

if I remember parky had his dip prior to Fleetwood but addressed it tbf

Can’t have it both ways, high wages meant something when we were getting our arses handed to us a fair few times last season and we couldn’t compete with the opposition spend

Likewise in League 1 we had a huge amount more to go at than the majority of the division

Our resources should have had us top 4 or 5 in league 1, bottom 4 or 5 last season, it went broadly as the bookies would have expected

Thankfully it was top 2 and 4th bottom. Thanks PP but a way to go to be mentioned in the same sentences as BSA, Rioch and Todd (for me anyway)

Edited by birch-chorley

• 2 weeks later...

The knives are well and truly out for Parky on twatter.

Sentiment doesn’t last long in football.

If we go on a catastrophic run like we have done in times past I reckon it might be one too many. 

Hopefully it stops sharpish. I like Parky and the job he’s done fantastic. But we need to start having a go, don’t think anyone can deny that.

• Site Supporter
34 minutes ago, gonzo said:

The knives are well and truly out for Parky on twatter.

Sentiment doesn’t last long in football.

If we go on a catastrophic run like we have done in times past I reckon it might be one too many. 

Hopefully it stops sharpish. I like Parky and the job he’s done fantastic. But we need to start having a go, don’t think anyone can deny that.

Same. I quite like Parky for dealing with what he’s had to deal with. There does seem to be a feeling though that he’s steadied the ship and now it needs a new skipper to take the club forward. 

Ive not appetite for change yet though, he deserves more time to allow for all his signings to bed in and find his best 11/formation

12 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

Same. I quite like Parky for dealing with what he’s had to deal with. There does seem to be a feeling though that he’s steadied the ship and now it needs a new skipper to take the club forward. 

Ive not appetite for change yet though, he deserves more time to allow for all his signings to bed in and find his best 11/formation

How long do you give him though before its too late??