Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Boro v Wanderers

Happy Wanderer

Boro are a decent side but playing awfully they sill beat us in a canter.

We were absolutely terrible to watch, offered virtually nothing all game and Its only when you see us sober for a full 90 mins you realise just how limited we really are. However had we gone toe to toe it would have been a cricket score.   

Lose on Sat and its 1 point from 5 games.

That said it took us 16 games to get to our current points tally last season and now were there at 8.

I still think we'll just about be OK but reality is setting in and fast.

I am as a big a Parky fan as there is.

But the call to go to 5 at the back was a recipe for disaster.

It was pretty inevitable that along the way they would nick a goal. I know people will talk about it being an individual error but the fact is we have a bunch of freebies and older players and the fact that play for us probably means they are players who do make errors. Also how much the decision to turn back into the defence was driven by the fact every time a ball was played forward it just came straight back.

Playing Vela in that free role was a waste of a player. Since we came up I would guess our record playing 4 5 1 is better than when we fuck about with the defence.

We have the players to play 4 5 1 (or  4 2 3 1) so why go to 5 at the back ?

I went & the set up worked well in forcing Boro to lump up high balls that Wheavers coped with fairly easily. For all their possession, it wasn't one of those where you're expecting them to score any second, & it was only a horrible individual mistake that let them in. No complaints about the effort that any of the players put in either.

On the down side.....without Ameobi, we couldn't hold the ball up upfield at all  ...Magennis looked like a Div1 player, Vela couldn't get into the game & Wildshutt was a headless chicken when he came on.

A big plus was Oztumer who looks comfortable with the ball & playing at this level & i'm hoping that we can fit him into our starting team soon.

The other big plus was that we had the best player on the pitch....Olkowski. I fear that we won't have him for too long !!!

8 minutes ago, jules_darby said:

That lad should be playing in the Prem

Who scouted him? What a signing 

Correct on both counts. Someone has played a blinder in getting him to the club.

Polish media suggest he's getting a call-up to the national team squad for the next round of games.

Edited by Traf

• Site Supporter
35 minutes ago, Traf said:

Correct on both counts. Someone has played a blinder in getting him to the club.

Polish media suggest he's getting a call-up to the national team squad for the next round of games.

How long is his contract £££££

• Site Supporter
45 minutes ago, frank_spencer said:

He does get caught up field at times but I've been really impressed with Polish Pav, plus he seems to have fitted in really well in the dressing room. 

As he's arguably our best attacked at times it's no wonder.

In today's silly market how much do we reckon he'd be worth?

Minimum £10million for me.

Pav made a couple of good overlaps in this game, but good balls in, but no-one had kept up with him

The times we did break, our final ball let us down.

I thought we restricted them well, until that dreadful mistake for the goal.

It's not easy watching when sober, but at least we didn't get thumped and I can't see that as a club we expected anything from the game.

Saturday is vitally important, to keep them down there, to get out of the losing run and we have a few hard games coming up.

• Moderators
4 hours ago, birch-chorley said:

Where did it all go wrong for the lad in Germany? He was released from a second tier outfit wasn’t he?

Top find but it’s early doors to be claiming he’s a PL defender surely 

Aye, he's good but we won't be selling him to keep the club running and the wages paid

If he leaves it will be on a free

17 hours ago, birch-chorley said:

Where did it all go wrong for the lad in Germany? He was released from a second tier outfit wasn’t he?

Top find but it’s early doors to be claiming he’s a PL defender surely 

I think he just oozes class. Has done every game I’ve seen him in. Just seems to be a level above for me.

dont get me wrong, I’m not saying City will swoop in for him but I reckon he’s good enough for that league