Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Holidays

embankment

On 23/09/2018 at 10:21, L/H White said:

anyone been to venice recently?

gonna take the missus in Jan for her 30th

Went last March. Loved it. St Marks square is very busy and expensive but we just walked everywhere and ducked down side alleys and little ginnels and there’s loads of decent priced bars and cafes. Visit St Marks early morning to avoid the tourists. Agree with Biggish Dave that the Rialto Bridge is a bit tatty but worth a look and Murano is definitely worth a trip

3 hours ago, Elvis said:

Does no one fancy Dubai. Weather is perfect up to end of April. Admittedly, food and beverage is a little expensive, but you can navigate around this with various Happy Hours.

Yeah, I do, but I always imagine it to be either difficult, expensive or both to keep a 14 yr old occupied/happy.

11 minutes ago, frank_spencer said:

Looking to go big on the old holiday front next year as Grampa Spencer wanted the grandkids to have some of the money from the sale of their house. 

I fancy Tokyo but I guess Mum and little one will get their way and we're off to Disney. 

Do both....

https://www.tokyodisneyresort.jp/en/index.html

4 hours ago, frank_spencer said:

Looking to go big on the old holiday front next year as Grampa Spencer wanted the grandkids to have some of the money from the sale of their house. 

I fancy Tokyo but I guess Mum and little one will get their way and we're off to Disney. 

Went in 2002 to Tokyo, couldn’t wait to get home, too much of a culture shock for me and nothing to do in between matches.  We all went to the zoo one day to kill time.

Edited by Breightmet Boy

• Moderators
5 hours ago, frank_spencer said:

Japan is mint

Far more to it than Tokyo, which is ace, but get yourself to Kyoto and Hiroshima as well

And There's a Disneyland in Tokyo 

So win win

And a universal studios in Osaka

In fact you could probably spend two weeks going round all the theme parks they've got

1 minute ago, Winchester White said:

Can anyone recommend a nice AI hotel that can cater for a teenager and a 8 year old. Thinking of somewhere in the Caribbean but there are so many hotels and places my head hurts.

Beaches?

1 hour ago, Winchester White said:

Can anyone recommend a nice AI hotel that can cater for a teenager and a 8 year old. Thinking of somewhere in the Caribbean but there are so many hotels and places my head hurts.

PM me your requirements, I can definitely help.

On 25 September 2018 at 13:15, Traf said:

Yeah, I do, but I always imagine it to be either difficult, expensive or both to keep a 14 yr old occupied/happy.

Got a mate working for Movenpick - he's highly recommending their two hotels out there. He takes his two kids - for as long as a fortnight on his last visit. Says there's plenty to keep them occupied. Both hotels are AI as well. So you don't get stung on expensive drinks and meals. Think he said April, May, June are best times - not quite the ridiculous heat. Earlier than that and the hotels charge a premium because its cooler!

21 hours ago, Smiley said:

Got a mate working for Movenpick - he's highly recommending their two hotels out there. He takes his two kids - for as long as a fortnight on his last visit. Says there's plenty to keep them occupied. Both hotels are AI as well. So you don't get stung on expensive drinks and meals. Think he said April, May, June are best times - not quite the ridiculous heat. Earlier than that and the hotels charge a premium because its cooler!

The sports bar in the Movenpick on JBR was our local for a while, until it became the hub for hookers. I never noticed until the Mrs pointed them out to me! Great brunch in the Talk Restaurant,and the hotel in general is good. Many hotels on JBR to go at. Lived in the Marina for 3 years. if anyone wants any info get in touch

Edited by Elvis

Any recommendations for Turkey? We've never been and haven't really fancied it tbh, but been hearing some great reviews. I've been looking at Kalkan, Kas, Dalyan, Gocek. We don't want all inclusive, just B&B btw.

Edited by Blondi

• 1 month later...
  • Site Supporter
10 hours ago, Salford Trotter said:

Currently enjoying a long weekend in Reykjavik with Mrs ST. What an incredible country, expensive but well worth visiting

Definitely a must-see place but anything more than 3 or 4 days and you're really pushing the wallet. Avoid whale watching tours; we got out of the harbour when they announced that whale season was around May and we were unlikely to see anything more than a dolphin or porpoise (We didn't see either)

Mrs D and I have just had 5 days in NYC. It cost about the same as Iceland but a shitload more things to see. If you're going, make sure you buy a New York Pass before you go. It'll cost around $200 for a three-day pass for most of the major attractions' Statue of Liberty, 9/11 museum, Empire State Building, Rockerfeller Centre, etc. Well worth the money.

8 minutes ago, MickyD said:

Definitely a must-see place but anything more than 3 or 4 days and you're really pushing the wallet. Avoid whale watching tours; we got out of the harbour when they announced that whale season was around May and we were unlikely to see anything more than a dolphin or porpoise (We didn't see either)

Mrs D and I have just had 5 days in NYC. It cost about the same as Iceland but a shitload more things to see. If you're going, make sure you buy a New York Pass before you go. It'll cost around $200 for a three-day pass for most of the major attractions' Statue of Liberty, 9/11 museum, Empire State Building, Rockerfeller Centre, etc. Well worth the money.

We love NYC and going back in Aug/Sept next year with trips to Boston and Toronto thrown in.