Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Holidays

embankment

55 minutes ago, MickyD said:

When we were there we saw the Northern Lights on our first night. We'd been advised to go out first night because no sightings mean out for free until you do) As it happens, the rest of our trip was a white-out which added to the week.

Anyway, those who used a phone to take photos had downloaded an app which slowed down the shutter for night photography. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/night-camera-low-light-photos/id843439749

The tour guide recommended we did this but i couldn't find it enroute so gave up

1 hour ago, MickyD said:

When we were there we saw the Northern Lights on our first night. We'd been advised to go out first night because no sightings mean out for free until you do) As it happens, the rest of our trip was a white-out which added to the week.

Anyway, those who used a phone to take photos had downloaded an app which slowed down the shutter for night photography. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/night-camera-low-light-photos/id843439749

Never got to see them as it was towards the end of the season and rainy on a couple of nights 

Whenever I've seen footage of them the light seems to change speed pretty quick. Is that speeded up or fairly realistic? 

43 minutes ago, Burndens Bogs said:

Staying at a mates gaff in Puerto Banus next August,then Croatia in Oct.

All seems a loooong time away, unless something else pops up.

Used to love doing a week or 2 in the Canaries in winter.

26c today in Tenerife :(

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, DirtySanchez said:

Never got to see them as it was towards the end of the season and rainy on a couple of nights 

Whenever I've seen footage of them the light seems to change speed pretty quick. Is that speeded up or fairly realistic? 

No idea what happens when you get the type of Northern Lights they show on telly. Apparently, depending on how high into the light shows, different colours show. From purple at the top through reds blues and green. When we saw them it was kind of like a big blob of green that suddenly got smudged across the sky. It wasn't the best show but I came away feeling I'd seen them.

On 26/11/2018 at 20:37, boltondiver said:

We go every 2 years

I’m jealous of myself 

Just booked a week in January (NYC). We did all the major tourist sites when we were last there 20 years ago -i fancy doing some of the lesser known stuff this time; ice hockey game, Sopranos or Seinfeld tour. Any recommendations? 

Edited by Duck Egg

• Site Supporter
5 hours ago, Burndens Bogs said:

Staying at a mates gaff in Puerto Banus next August,then Croatia in Oct.

All seems a loooong time away, unless something else pops up.

Used to love doing a week or 2 in the Canaries in winter.

Croatia is great. I’ve done Dubrovnik and Split in the last 18 months. The Islands are beautiful, really laid back and unspoilt.

59 minutes ago, Duck Egg said:

Just booked a week in January (NYC). We did all the major tourist sites when we were last there 20 years ago -i fancy doing some of the lesser known stuff this time; ice hockey game, Sopranos or Seinfeld tour. Any recommendations? 

A walking tour, downtown

A jazz tour of Harlem

Walking around Harlem

Jazz clubs around Greenwich Village

Lunch at Gramercy Tavern

Taking my lad, 13, to Iceland on NY day for 3 nights. See loads of tours but prefer to self-drive, is that feasible at that time of year?

So was going to cobble together my own trip, but is this wise?

Any recommendations on decent accommodation appreciated too.

He wants to see northern lights, and will take him to see the geysers and fancy blue lagoon for both of us, but what should we not miss out on? Not going on any boat just to be clear!

Gonna have 2 and a half days to fill so gimme some top tips WWays! Cheers

Edited by JimmyRiddle

• Site Supporter
13 minutes ago, JimmyRiddle said:

Taking my lad, 13, to Iceland on NY day for 3 nights. See loads of tours but prefer to self-drive, is that feasible at that time of year?

So was going to cobble together my own trip, but is this wise?

Any recommendations on decent accommodation appreciated too.

He wants to see northern lights, and will take him to see the geysers and fancy blue lagoon for both of us, but what should we not miss out on? Not going on any boat just to be clear!

Gonna have 2 and a half days to fill so gimme some top tips WWays! Cheers

Iceland isn’t actually that cold certainly in comparison to Finland/Norway etc because of the jet stream so definitely feasible driving around.

id go to the blue lagoon straight from the airport if you land early enough.

The geysers and glufoss falls definitely worth seeing and not far from there are the Fontana natural spring baths which are very relaxing. 

Head into the middle of nowhere to try and see the northern lights, you’ll end up there not very long outside Reykjavik.

we stayed at Centrehotel Arnarhvoll which was in a top location and very clean/comfortable with decent breakfast too.

if you like a bevvy, get a whiskey from duty free and add it to your coffees etc. 

17 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

Iceland isn’t actually that cold certainly in comparison to Finland/Norway etc because of the jet stream so definitely feasible driving around.

The geysers and glufoss falls definitely worth seeing and not far from there are the Fontana natural spring baths which are very relaxing. 

Head into the middle of nowhere to try and see the northern lights, you’ll end up there not very long outside Reykjavik.

we stayed at Centrehotel Arnarhvoll which was in a top location and very clean/comfortable with decent breakfast too.

if you like a bevvy, get a whiskey from duty free and add it to your coffees etc. 

I was going to recommend the same hotel. 

Breakfast buffet with a view of the bay, simple and cozy rooms. Easy walk from all the city centre stuff too. 

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, frank_spencer said:

I was going to recommend the same hotel. 

Breakfast buffet with a view of the bay, simple and cozy rooms. Easy walk from all the city centre stuff too. 

It was a recommendation on here why I booked it a couple of years ago, might even have been yourself, if it was, cheers

54 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

Pretty much this...but recommend this restaurant as a cheaper alternative to most restaurants, Hlemmur-matholl in downtown reykjavik. It's like a minature version of Altrincham Market/Mackie Mayor if you are familiar with those establishments. 

• Site Supporter

Look at buying trips from here rather than wait to get there. Look up "Gray Line" for airport transfers and trips. Golden Circle Tour gives you the geezers, waterfalls and the tectonic plates separating the European and American continents. Top day out. Be aware though that the waterfalls are at the bottom of a shitload of steps. The more you go down, the more you get to yomp back up. A few older folk seriously delayed us  when they had to stop every flight to catch their breath. (Wasn't me and MrsD :roll:)

Remember to layer up. If the wind starts blowing it'll be cold.

On 03/12/2018 at 16:55, DirtySanchez said:

Stayed here, which is good for seeing the northern lights

https://www.hotelranga.is/

If you tell the reception desk, they'll come and wake you up if they appear during the night. The owner is very friendly and makes a thing of chatting to everyone in the restaurant and bar.

Great place stayed there a couple of years ago whilst salmon fishing on the East Ranga