Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Holidays

embankment

just booked Thassos, one of the islands on my list I've not yet been to so 3 weeks today I will be there. Just hope the weather's not dodgy, tend to avoid Greece in May but if it's shit I shall hire a scooter and go round the island, not told my Mrs there's no airport there so we have to get a ferry from the mainland, I'll act dumb when we land

2 hours ago, Widnes Two Hats said:

just booked Thassos, one of the islands on my list I've not yet been to so 3 weeks today I will be there. Just hope the weather's not dodgy, tend to avoid Greece in May but if it's shit I shall hire a scooter and go round the island, not told my Mrs there's no airport there so we have to get a ferry from the mainland, I'll act dumb when we land

This post was brought to you by Bolty58 :D

18 minutes ago, medwaywhite said:

going to Dubai for  3 days then onto a cruise for 10 in December ,any recommendations for Dubai ,how to get around ,what to see .?

Get around by camels

See plenty of sand and high rises flats like on Deane Road

Not many bars selling keg

This post brought to you by Miami Chalmers

42 minutes ago, boltondiver said:

Thinking Bahamas in October (hurricane season)

Any input welcomed

Mad random memory here now G....Manc Wanderer will love this :D

My dad got asked to do a roof in The Bahamas in 1986 on a colonial style hotel courtesy of Arnold Worthington...probably the oldest roofing firm in Bolton....they owned the chippy too next to Sally Up Steps on Chorley Old Rd.

Dad didn’t take the offer up.....once the hotel roof was completed, a storm hit the islands....the hotel was torn apart but the roof miraculously remained intact as it was all done in Welsh blue slates, unlike the straw shit the Caribbean Drama Quuens love...windrush my arse......made all the local headlines here......I’ve seen the archive story recently on the BEN site, will try and dig it out.

Other than that mate....I know jackshit re the place.

26 minutes ago, miamiwhite said:

Mad random memory here now G....Manc Wanderer will love this :D

My dad got asked to do a roof in The Bahamas in 1986 on a colonial style hotel courtesy of Arnold Worthington...probably the oldest roofing firm in Bolton....they owned the chippy too next to Sally Up Steps on Chorley Old Rd.

Dad didn’t take the offer up.....once the hotel roof was completed, a storm hit the islands....the hotel was torn apart but the roof miraculously remained intact as it was all done in Welsh blue slates, unlike the straw shit the Caribbean Drama Quuens love...windrush my arse......made all the local headlines here......I’ve seen the archive story recently on the BEN site, will try and dig it out.

Other than that mate....I know jackshit re the place.

Well, obviously I’ll be on the hunt for the welsh slate roof!

3 minutes ago, boltondiver said:

Well, obviously I’ll be on the hunt for the welsh slate roof!

A fine bit of Bolton/Bahamas history shall now follow...

The Welsh blues were shipped out there 6 weeks prior to the Worthington family and Co flying out there.

They stayed for 6 weeks all expenses paid, a proper busman’s holiday....I do believe many “rum punches” were thrown during the nightime between Boltonian family members :D

The roof however, stands to this day.

16 hours ago, boltondiver said:

Thinking Bahamas in October (hurricane season)

Any input welcomed

If you get a good price do it. But just pay with the knowledge that at that time of year you might see a hurricane, but more likely one might be in the system somewhere (often way out to see) that causes a huge low to sit over the region and leave you with a week or often more of unsettled weather. It'll be better than Bolton still. 

But just be aware - the major likelihood is not that you get a direct hurricane but the effects of one elsewhere might disrupt your holiday. If you're happy with that and don't care then book it. If you're one of those miserable types who sits inside moaning about the weather on holiday - then it isn't worth the risk. 

I went to Barbados in hurricane season - had 3 days of solid rain during it and I mean solid and high winds - not a hurricane but a bit grim. Still had a great time. But some on that holiday couldn't cope and spent 3 days sulking and looking at weather forecasts.

On 14/04/2019 at 10:35, Biggish Dave said:

ive booked a nice weekend break in Kosovo in November. Sandwiched nicely in between Vegas & Australia

Are you going for the England game? WSe are staying in Albania again and getting a mini bus to Kosovo and staying 1 nihght there then back to Albania

• Site Supporter
11 minutes ago, athywhite1958 said:

Are you going for the England game? WSe are staying in Albania again and getting a mini bus to Kosovo and staying 1 nihght there then back to Albania

Yes, booked flights into Pristina from Birmingham and booked an apartment for 3 nights. Looks a reasonable city from bits I've read about it

1 hour ago, bwfcfan5 said:

If you get a good price do it. But just pay with the knowledge that at that time of year you might see a hurricane, but more likely one might be in the system somewhere (often way out to see) that causes a huge low to sit over the region and leave you with a week or often more of unsettled weather. It'll be better than Bolton still. 

But just be aware - the major likelihood is not that you get a direct hurricane but the effects of one elsewhere might disrupt your holiday. If you're happy with that and don't care then book it. If you're one of those miserable types who sits inside moaning about the weather on holiday - then it isn't worth the risk. 

I went to Barbados in hurricane season - had 3 days of solid rain during it and I mean solid and high winds - not a hurricane but a bit grim. Still had a great time. But some on that holiday couldn't cope and spent 3 days sulking and looking at weather forecasts.

Good input, thanks.

my wife’s holiday is more affected by the weather, as I’ll be underwater!

To be continued......

On 14/04/2019 at 17:46, medwaywhite said:

going to Dubai for  3 days then onto a cruise for 10 in December ,any recommendations for Dubai ,how to get around ,what to see .?

Weather will be great in December. Depends what you want to do. The Marina and JBR offers most things such as shopping, beach, hotels, many bars etc......... taxis are cheap, as is the metro and tram. If you are there on a Friday go to a brunch.