Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Holidays

embankment

• Members
3 hours ago, Traf said:

I'm considering Central America / Colombia / Ecuador for next year :  anyone done any of this?

I went to South America a couple of years ago, Argentina, Peru and Columbia for work. They’re brilliant and really beautiful places to go, Argentina is a bit mental, it’s like no one is in charge but a really nice place and the natives are friendly enough. 
Peru was good for Machu Picchu but not a lot else. 
Columbia is brilliant, i did the Full Escobar/Medellin tour which was fucking superb.

Cuba I’ve done on a separate holiday which was great especially if you like history. ( Cuban Revolution/Missile Crisis/Bay of pigs)

Edited by Rudy’s Message

I've toyed with the Venezuela trip for years, I think we discussed it at one point, C.

Looked at staying on margarita island in an all-inclusive, they say the only bother they've had is running out of stuff, which sort of fucks an all0inclusive up.

Just now, Traf said:

I've toyed with the Venezuela trip for years, I think we discussed it at one point, C.

Looked at staying on margarita island in an all-inclusive, they say the only bother they've had is running out of stuff, which sort of fucks an all0inclusive up.

Running out of food and drink seems to be a big Venezuelan issue.

Mate of mine went to Brazil with his mate.  His Mate went home after two weeks as planned but he stayed on. Had become “mates” with some locals who were involved in alsorts. Local gangsters. Anyway he went everywhere with them for the next 2 weeks. Couldn’t do enough for him and he had an absolute ball.  Night he was leaving one of them pulled a gun on him robbed him of everything  of value and said no hard feelings it’s what we do brother  

They even hailed a cab and told the driver to take him to the airport. 

• Site Supporter
On 13/09/2019 at 11:27, Youri McAnespie said:

Jordan and Israel - anyone been? Especially land border crossings between the two, Visas etc.

I know there's Google but I trust the seasoned travellers advice off here more better.

I go to Israel often to see our Loft. You get a 3 month visa when you get there. Usual stuff, no working or earning money of any sort. You may get a right grilling off Israeli customs, That lightbulb gets hot as they check any orifice they want

It's a great place unless you're Palestinian, and the Israelis are quite amenable once they get to know you.

Can't comment on Jordan or crossing between the two though. Bibi Netanyahu seems to be tightening up on everything.

14 hours ago, wackerchackers said:

Off to The Somme for 4 days next Friday. WW1 battlefield walking, Thiepval Memorial to the missing, Newfoundland Park, Lochnagar crater etc.

It should be alreet.

Staying at this place. http://www.chavasseferme.co.uk/index.php

Might be a bit out of your way, but the nightly Last Post ceremony at the Menin Gate in Ypres is unforgettable.

If you get chance, perhaps visit a German cemetery. Rather than the white crosses for the French/British soldiers, the one I visited was row upon row of black stones. Harrowing in its own way.

---

I have recently come back from a 2 week rail/road tour of Tuscany/Liguria with the missus (Genoa, Bologna, Florence, Tuscan countryside, Cinque Terre). Italy is a staggeringly beautiful place, even if its drivers are maniacs.

7 hours ago, Traf said:

We stayed on Margarita for a while, and then across to Venezuala, we also did a couple of nights in the jungle....that was an experience

Some fit birds in Margarita, and hardly any Brits, it was great!!

• Moderators
8 hours ago, TM Trotter said:

Might be a bit out of your way, but the nightly Last Post ceremony at the Menin Gate in Ypres is unforgettable.

If you get chance, perhaps visit a German cemetery. Rather than the white crosses for the French/British soldiers, the one I visited was row upon row of black stones. Harrowing in its own way.

---

I have recently come back from a 2 week rail/road tour of Tuscany/Liguria with the missus (Genoa, Bologna, Florence, Tuscan countryside, Cinque Terre). Italy is a staggeringly beautiful place, even if its drivers are maniacs.

theres one of the place in the sun eps where a woman from cheshire looks for a place in the five towns

think its on catch up

• Members
1 hour ago, Traf said:

Praia da Rocha?

Portugal is very cheap compared to the rest of Europe. Been to a few different resorts.

We went to Alvor a couple of years ago and beer was a Euro.

Looking at going to Portugal next year, thought it might be ideal for two of us and a three year old, not to hot and short flight but never been before

Basically, they need a large injection of funds for their future contingency plan.

They've been poorly run for years

They're in the process of a longer than anticipated takeover etc etc

Sounds familiar, doesn't it? They need their own Sharon Brittan to step forward.