Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Holidays

embankment

1 hour ago, Biggish Dave said:

Traf Tours on for September for us by the looks of it. Hopefully he will have a far better 2nd half to the year

Thanks, pal. 

I don't want to seem that I'm constantly moaning about it (as it's taking time away from other things I want to moan about), but it really has been an absolute fucking shitter of a year. I've made less than £1,000 in commissions so far this year, as I don't claim mine until after my clients return home and most of what I'd booked for this year has been cancelled/rescheduled.

The industry has been decimated by what has happened and loads of staff have lost jobs (one former regular WW poster lost theirs recently) and it's only going to get worse when furlough ends.

But what can you do? The likes of Mrs Meldrew & myself are too old for a career change now.

On a positive note, I've been humbled by the moral support & loyalty shown to me by WW members regarding their own bookings, proving that you're not all bad 'uns 😉

• Members
12 hours ago, boltondiver said:

Looking at Scotland or the Maldives ASAP

We aren't neccesarily aligned.......

My mam and Dad went to the Maldives for their 30th anniversary. They flew from London, then stopped over somewhere, then a seaplane, then a speedboat. Was close to a day travelling.

3 minutes ago, Traf said:

Thanks, pal. 

I don't want to seem that I'm constantly moaning about it (as it's taking time away from other things I want to moan about), but it really has been an absolute fucking shitter of a year. I've made less than £1,000 in commissions so far this year, as I don't claim mine until after my clients return home and most of what I'd booked for this year has been cancelled/rescheduled.

The industry has been decimated by what has happened and loads of staff have lost jobs (one former regular WW poster lost theirs recently) and it's only going to get worse when furlough ends.

But what can you do? The likes of Mrs Meldrew & myself are too old for a career change now.

On a positive note, I've been humbled by the moral support & loyalty shown to me by WW members regarding their own bookings, proving that you're not all bad 'uns 😉

I’ll say this Traf when all this madness ends I’ll be booking a few trips, and one of the things I’ll take from this is to keep local businesses going, from greengrocers and butchers to travel agents and weed dealers. I’ll be doing my best to stay away from huge companies where I can. 

1 minute ago, Rudy said:

My mam and Dad went to the Maldives for their 30th anniversary. They flew from London, then stopped over somewhere, then a seaplane, then a speedboat. Was close to a day travelling.

I’ll say this Traf when all this madness ends I’ll be booking a few trips, and one of the things I’ll take from this is to keep local businesses going, from greengrocers and butchers to travel agents and weed dealers. I’ll be doing my best to stay away from huge companies where I can. 

Me too. Well said.

3 minutes ago, Rudy said:

Thanks, mate.

You're spot on. It's not just me.
It's your corner shop, your greengrocer, your butcher, your window cleaner, your local markets, your local tradesmen etc etc

Without sounding all insular/league of gentlemen, please use somebody local or somebody you know as much as we can going forwards. You'll get looked after better and you're helping rebuild battered local economies.

1 minute ago, Mr Grey said:

Unfortunately you cant help but be cautious, the GOV UK website still states none essential travel to the EU. So until that officially changes it better not to book anything, or am i just being a wimp 😁

Yes you pussy 😀

I don’t mean pack bags fly tomorrow something August time or even October half term 

you cancel haven? 

2 hours ago, L/H White said:

i'm just after a few day somewhere nice over here this year, always fancied somewhere in scotland or wales

any recs

If you want a taste of Scotland without a long drive, then Dumfries and Galloway is really nice; beach, great walks, a number of bigger hills and some nice little towns.

Just now, boltondiver said:

If you want a taste of Scotland without a long drive, then Dumfries and Galloway is really nice; beach, great walks, a number of bigger hills and some nice little towns.

Stay at Newton Stewart, for example

If you want the best place in the world; Ullapool and northwards is off the scale.

A long drive, though, including along the interminable A9

20 minutes ago, boltondiver said:

If you want the best place in the world; Ullapool and northwards is off the scale.

A long drive, though, including along the interminable A9

Seconded. Simply stunning and best scenery in the whole of the UK bar none. Stunning beaches as well and great food 

35 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

Seconded. Simply stunning and best scenery in the whole of the UK bar none. Stunning beaches as well and great food 

Including the best pies, at Lochinver Larder

15 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

Now there’s a challenge. I reckon I’ve found the best fodder in Scotland but will now be road testing this place. Mince or steak?

Oh, a varied range

• Site Supporter
15 minutes ago, MickyD said:

Take a mosquito net for over your head in many scotch places.

Aye

Spent 5 horrendous nights in D&G being swarmed by midges every night.

You literally couldn’t sit outside as they just ruined it.

Not a problem on the coast though. Inland is awful.