Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Holidays

embankment

• Members
49 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

No problem with midges at esco towers. I’ve got two African gentlemen who swat them away for me. Best £20 I’ve ever spent 

There’s a last king of Scotland joke in there somewhere 

• Site Supporter
7 hours ago, boltondiver said:

If you want a taste of Scotland without a long drive, then Dumfries and Galloway is really nice; beach, great walks, a number of bigger hills and some nice little towns.

Where I'm going.

Apparently, according to the other half, Dumfries has become a bit of a foodie place too.

Lochs, trees, hills, walks, feeshin' and food. Be reet.

1 minute ago, birch-chorley said:

Extra week added to the France holiday in August / September, Ferry change for free 

Now to book me and the Mrs into a nice little Scottish Hilton for a couple of nights in July  with my points

near loch Lomand or the Cairngorms? 

Both large expanses especially the Cairngorms. Are there Hilton’s close to either?

what you wanting just a quiet weekend away with the missus? Has to be Hilton?

7 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

Both large expanses especially the Cairngorms. Are there Hilton’s close to either?

what you wanting just a quiet weekend away with the missus? Has to be Hilton?

Couple of nights, cant leave the kids any longer really (1 and 3). Looks like that’s the locations....

Hilton Dunblane Hydro 

Hilton Grand Vacations at Craigendarroch Suites

Just thought I’d use sone of my Hilton points and get a free stay 

Happy to look elsewhere if the location will be better, fancied heading out towards the islands before now 

4 minutes ago, birch-chorley said:

Couple of nights, cant leave the kids any longer really (1 and 3). Looks like that’s the locations....

Hilton Dunblane Hydro 

Hilton Grand Vacations at Craigendarroch Suites

Just thought I’d use sone of my Hilton points and get a free stay 

Happy to look elsewhere if the location will be better, fancied heading out towards the islands before now 

Dunblane hydro I would swerve. Nice enough. But nowt there really and more of a business hotel I’ve used it for hosting team meetings and the like. Don’t get me wrong it’s nice enough but depends what you want.  Think @MancWanderer has stayed there as well if memory serves me right (not with me I hasten to add). 

ballater which is where the other is is again ok. I would go to Edinburgh if I was you (I’m guessing you’ve been plenty times. Anyway). But head there. Plenty to occupy you and if you want to head out just hop on the train to Stirling or upto at Andrews or summat. But entirely upto you pal. 
if you weren’t using Hilton it would widen the areas I Would suggest 

2 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

Dunblane hydro I would swerve. Nice enough. But nowt there really and more of a business hotel I’ve used it for hosting team meetings and the like. Don’t get me wrong it’s nice enough but depends what you want.  Think @MancWanderer has stayed there as well if memory serves me right (not with me I hasten to add). 

ballater which is where the other is is again ok. I would go to Edinburgh if I was you (I’m guessing you’ve been plenty times. Anyway). But head there. Plenty to occupy you and if you want to head out just hop on the train to Stirling or upto at Andrews or summat. But entirely upto you pal. 
if you weren’t using Hilton it would widen the areas I Would suggest 

Go on then, let’s can Hilton, the brief is....

2 nights in Scotland, nice walks, potential hills (Ben Nevis?), nice food, decent standard hotel (usual prefer boutique B&B type) 

Always fancied the likes of Oban and out towards the Islands to be fair 

Happy to hear some recommendations on locations and / or hotels 

• Site Supporter

Had a really nice couple of days planned on the way up and again on the way down from visiting the inlaws on Orkney last half term. Obviously not happened but was really looking forward to seeing more of the west of Scotland rather than just bazzing up the A9 as fast as reasonably possible.

Just now, birch-chorley said:

2 nights in Scotland, nice walks, potential hills (Ben Nevis?), nice food, decent standard hotel (usual prefer boutique B&B type) 

Tell you what I will do you some recommendations and @Traf can provide the prices 😁. WW tours. 
fav place of mine and not too far up the way is aberfeldy. 

I will put a list together of places I’ve stayed and send them you 

3 minutes ago, Winchester White said:

Had a really nice couple of days planned on the way up and again on the way down from visiting the inlaws on Orkney last half term. Obviously not happened but was really looking forward to seeing more of the west of Scotland rather than just bazzing up the A9 as fast as reasonably possible.

As I said other night I’m going upto the north west for 4 nights at start of September. As far up as John ogroats. 

booked in to this hotel for one of the nights. Looks lovely. 

https://tonguehotel.co.uk

Some stunning beaches but a bit far for a weekend visit for you town dwelling English cunts though. Quite a trek for me!

13 minutes ago, birch-chorley said:

all around loch leven, glencoe etc is spectacular. And not too far from Ben Nevis.

my in laws stayed here http://www.lochlevenhotel.co.uk

Loch tay is also lovely. Plenty nice walks. Some nice wee villages. I love aberfeldy and stayed here   It’s not fancy but lovely wee village and nice pubs and food and plenty walks. https://www.townhouseaberfeldy.co.uk

also kenmore is really nice  look at this place  https://www.kenmorehotel.com

i don’t really like oban myself  but shit if I’m honest  if your intent on going west coast why not try Ayrshire instead ? Less of a trek and whilst the scenery isn’t as mountainous still some lovely places?

i think those 3 I’ve recommended will fit your brief though mate  let me know if you want any more recommendation for different areas 

9 minutes ago, desperado said:

We’re fancying Scotland too. Any recommendations for family of 5, kids 11, 13, 15?

What birch said. Again depends what sort of holiday you are wanting? Caravan park? Close to Edinburgh away from edinburgh? Remote etc. give me an idea what you fancy doing and I will see what I think 👍🏼

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, birch-chorley said:

I recommend leaving the kids at home and cracking on 

😊 Won’t have that luxury this summer.

Mind you a bit of camping with the family (weather permitting) is usually a good laugh.

Done Camping in the Lakes and Wales lots of times, but fancy Scotland. Having only ever done it with the lads in Fort William, climbing Ben Nevis, I fancy it with the family, but short on ideas before googling/researching it.

• Site Supporter
7 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

What birch said. Again depends what sort of holiday you are wanting? Caravan park? Close to Edinburgh away from edinburgh? Remote etc. give me an idea what you fancy doing and I will see what I think 👍🏼

Cheers pal. Away from the City. we did Edinburgh in February (loved it) thinking more country, highlands, lochs, adventure, remote Etc

Just now, desperado said:

Cheers pal. Away from the City. we did Edinburgh in February (loved it) thinking more country, highlands, lochs, adventure, remote Etc

Well a few on here have done dumfries and Galloway so they could point you in the right direction on that front. 

Again as I said to birch I would look at loch leven loch tay areas which are decent. Can get some decent camping/glamping. 

if you want to do real adventure then I would say head to some of the islands. Do the highlands around ullapool, Durness and then down the West coast to mallaig and get a ferry over to some of islands. 

all depends on budget as well pal as some places especially skye aren’t cheap. But if you want some basic fun and plenty things like bike treks and kayaking On lochs etc then loch leven area is spot on and only c5 hours from Bolton area (if you are there)

https://www.rockhopperscotland.co.uk/day-trips/glencoe-loch-leven/

http://www.cyclingscot.co.uk/blog/loch-leven-heritage-trail

• Site Supporter
28 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

As I said other night I’m going upto the north west for 4 nights at start of September. As far up as John ogroats. 

booked in to this hotel for one of the nights. Looks lovely. 

https://tonguehotel.co.uk

Some stunning beaches but a bit far for a weekend visit for you town dwelling English cunts though. Quite a trek for me!

I would recommend Orkney to anyone, lovely place, as is the vast majority of Scotland to be fair.