Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Holidays

embankment

1 hour ago, MickyD said:

Here’s another. I cocked up one year and ended up forgetting to book my favourite place in Crete. By the time we decided we were going, it was too late, sold out!

Traf Tours sorted it for us with the dates and flight times we wanted. Nothing but high praise from us.

Happy to have been able to help.

Girl I know. Her hubby is an Emirates pilot

Started at Tommy Cooks then moved to Emirates via Virgin Atlantic 

747 is a fucker. His words were “like driving an articulated lorry on an icy motorway”. They are designed to stay in the air. Landing them is a nightmare because once up they don’t want to come down. He reckons any pilot that’s moved to a 777 or A380 never wants to go back to a 747. 1960’s shit design that is awful to fly

Jet 2 have always flown out of terminal 1 haven't they? I know a few years ago they picked up some of Monachs slots and started flying out of both T1 and T2 but they were still predominantly T1. They even had their own check-in area in T1 (check-in B, downstairs) 

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, dave2980 said:

Jet 2 have always flown out of terminal 1 haven't they? I know a few years ago they picked up some of Monachs slots and started flying out of both T1 and T2 but they were still predominantly T1. They even had their own check-in area in T1 (check-in B, downstairs) 

They still do.

Its the dungeon where all the smelly riff raff and budget travellers are wrangled so the decent folk don’t have to smell them as they queue up, making the airport pong of Crisp’n’Dry and Matey bubble bath.

6 hours ago, dave2980 said:

Yes, but the bulk of the summer schedule was due to use T2 because of the sheer volumes expected.

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, Traf said:

Yes, but the bulk of the summer schedule was due to use T2 because of the sheer volumes expected.

Can't wait till it all gets back to normal and see what T2 looks like now. For me my holiday starts the moment we enter the airport area, be that departures, an airport hotel (usually) or car park. My mood just lifts when I leave the M56, it's quite weird really.

2 hours ago, Winchester White said:

Can't wait till it all gets back to normal and see what T2 looks like now. For me my holiday starts the moment we enter the airport area, be that departures, an airport hotel (usually) or car park. My mood just lifts when I leave the M56, it's quite weird really.

Think that’s why we’ve got in to the habit of booking in to the lounge. Holiday starts here etc. 

1 hour ago, Winchester White said:

Aye, we usually use a lounge but I have noticed they are creeping up in price.

Paid less than £25 each for three of us in Aspire in a couple of weeks. Albeit had to pay adult price for my lad even though he’s only 12. I’m sure he’ll eat his money’s worth while I sup my share. 

• Moderators
2 hours ago, medwaywhite said:

Flying out to lefkas Saturday stopping in nidri any suggestions where to eat what to see .looking forward to chilling for 2 weeks

nidri is widnes land

You may want to message him

14 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Paid less than £25 each for three of us in Aspire in a couple of weeks. Albeit had to pay adult price for my lad even though he’s only 12. I’m sure he’ll eat his money’s worth while I sup my share. 

We're going away in 10 days or so, tried to book the lounge but it's shut.....

That's one way of looking at it, I suppose - the big bold red lettering seemed quite definite tbh. 

I'm going to keep trying, in case something crops up, but the price has gone up loads since we used it last year at about £20 a head.

Don’t rate that Aspire lounge 

Only been in once mind, seem to recall it was a bacon butty, free coffee, free beer (some shite like Carling though) and a free paper 

Didn't think it was worth it at the time so haven’t bothered since. The food and drink on offer in the airport bars and restaurants is better (IMO),,appreciate your going to end up spending a little bit more though 

1 hour ago, birch-chorley said:

Don’t rate that Aspire lounge 

Only been in once mind, seem to recall it was a bacon butty, free coffee, free beer (some shite like Carling though) and a free paper 

Didn't think it was worth it at the time so haven’t bothered since. The food and drink on offer in the airport bars and restaurants is better (IMO),,appreciate your going to end up spending a little bit more though 

I would agree with you. The one at Edinburgh also now has a limit on how much you can drink

much rather go to yo sushi or the seafood place and enjoy a few beers afterwards

they had a new lounge open about 5 years ago that had draught peroni (help yourself) Prosecco in bottles and a lovely selection of food constantly replenished. It was 28 quid. After 3 months it changed to max 4 drinks and was bottled and the draught Peroni Taken off 

Edited by Escobarp

4 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

I would agree with you. The one at Edinburgh also now has a limit on how much you can drink

much rather go to yo sushi or the seafood place and enjoy a few beers afterwards

they had a new lounge open about 5 years ago that had fraught peroni (help yourself) Prosecco in bottles and a lovely selection of food constantly replenished. It was 28 quid. After 3 months it changed to max 4 drinks and was bottled and the draught Peroni Taken off 

That reminds me, we decided to book ourselves into Edinburgh Hilton (Carlton?) for this weekend coming, rather than go out in the sticks 

Any recommendations would be welcome...

Decent walks / things to see 

Good food - casual rather than fine dining 

Place for a beer or two, again more casual 

Hoping the Covid stuff won’t impact it too much 

2 minutes ago, birch-chorley said:

That reminds me, we decided to book ourselves into Edinburgh Hilton (Carlton?) for this weekend coming, rather than go out in the sticks 

Any recommendations would be welcome...

Decent walks / things to see 

Good food - casual rather than fine dining 

Place for a beer or two, again more casual 

Hoping the Covid stuff won’t impact it too much 

Great location on north bridge. Are you coming by train?

let me know what types of food you are after and I will give you some hidden gems  and also pub wise I will give you some crackers. 

Let me know and I Will PM you pal 

• Moderators

What time do you get to the airpirt to justify these lounges

It just seems to take longer Nd longer to get through manc

Fuck knows what its like now

We get there about 2.5 to 3 hours before and generally have time for a mooch and a beer

Then its time to go

10 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

Great location on north bridge. Are you coming by train?

let me know what types of food you are after and I will give you some hidden gems  and also pub wise I will give you some crackers. 

Let me know and I Will PM you pal 

Thanks pal, going to drive up, quite looking forward to getting on the road for the first time in months! It’s about the same door to door to be fair by the time you’ve got to the station at this end and parked up. 

Flexible food wise really, love a good steak, other than that British, gastro pub food, Italian etc 

Will keep my eyes out for PM

👍🏻