Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Holidays

embankment

• Site Supporter

I keep being tempted, but just think going abroad this month is potentially bonkers.

Bloke I know just got to a Crete and that whilst it’s quiet - obviously brings its own advantages - the kids are bored shitless as there’s no kids clubs, half the amusements are closed and there’s not many other kids to play with.

Also says the atmosphere at night is pretty dull.

• Site Supporter

Flights to Bergerac are £79.

In August.

Its mental, absolutely mental. They’re £400 usually.

But everything is closed or restricted. The night markets in Bordeaux are off, so there’s not much to do.

Got a couple of nights in The Lakes booked at the end of August

Also got a couple of free nights booked in Edinburgh courtesy of The Village Hotel gym and may tag a few nights on Arran on to that

Hesitant to think of owt abroad at the moment until I see what way this is all going. May well look at Croatia with @Traf in October if this supposed second spike doesn't cause too much mither

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Spider said:

Flights to Bergerac are £79.

In August.

Its mental, absolutely mental. They’re £400 usually.

But everything is closed or restricted. The night markets in Bordeaux are off, so there’s not much to do.

Take a coat remember. :)

presumably vineyards are open even if just for sales. A justified reason for going. 

• Site Supporter
35 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Take a coat remember. :)

presumably vineyards are open even if just for sales. A justified reason for going. 

My contact there says all the markets are actually going on as usual, so the internet tells fibs.

Tempting.

But another week of rises in Covid and it’s quarantine time. That’s the worry

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, Spider said:

My contact there says all the markets are actually going on as usual, so the internet tells fibs.

Tempting.

But another week of rises in Covid and it’s quarantine time. That’s the worry

Not able to work from home for a couple of weeks if necessary?

• Site Supporter
7 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Not able to work from home for a couple of weeks if necessary?

I am, wife isn’t. And despite everything, we wouldn’t want to fuck her employer around, not really fair for the sake of one holiday.

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Of course, fair enough that.

Our pets still need looking after.

Plus, the money saved will cover enough wine to keep me virtually blind until autumn shows up 😁

We were meant to fly to Portugal yesterday - cancelled the flights Monday.

easyjet gave me a voucher for the full cost of the flights and accommodation have let me roll it forward to next year.

gutted, but at least not lost any money.  Can’t afford to quarantine for 2 weeks on return and speaking to someone else on holiday now in the same resort, it’s like a ghost town, with not much open.

2 weeks at home it is, started with game of golf yesterday, playing foot golf today!

On 04/08/2020 at 16:35, Mounts Kipper said:

Just boarded flight to Alicante, airport eerily quiet, flight is about 10% of capacity. On the plus side steward let me sit in seat with extra legroom. 

Same as us - but next Thurs. How is it over there? Went earlier in lockdown and it was fine, expecting much the same now. Still no cases where our place is.

Edited by Kane57

10 hours ago, Kane57 said:

Same as us - but next Thurs. How is it over there? Went earlier in lockdown and it was fine, expecting much the same now. Still no cases where our place is.

All is fine, been 3 cases in our locality (Algorfa) one Belgium bloke and 1 air hostess and husband who is a pilot, both cases were isolated quickly and conracts told to isolate. Bars & restaurants open but bit quieter than normal, pool is open and no need to wear masks on our community but on the street and shops you must wear masks, in restaurants no masks.  

Edited by Mounts Kipper

11 hours ago, Mounts Kipper said:

All is fine, been 3 cases in our locality (Algorfa) one Belgium bloke and 1 air hostess and husband who is a pilot, both cases were isolated quickly and conracts told to isolate. Bars & restaurants open but bit quieter than normal, pool is open and no need to wear masks on our community but on the street and shops you must wear masks, in restaurants no masks.  

You're 20mins from us then (Torrevieja). Good to hear.

While still in Greece on Saturday, I received a text from Jet2 on my Fitbit that began with “we wanted to let you know that anyone travelling to the UK is now required to...” and absolutely shit myself. Turned out it was to tell us that we needed to complete a ‪“Passenger locator form” or we wouldn’t be allowed back in to the country. 

Took a fair while to feel in with plenty of repetition of questions in various formats to trip you up along with good old essay length government questions that doesn’t make any sense. What a crock of shit. Didn’t witness a single one even being asked for when we landed back. Complete contrast to the Greeks who were scanning everyone’s QR code and checking temperatures before even reaching passport control. UK really are just playing at it. ‬

Holiday-wise, felt perfectly safe in Greece and certainly passable for the ‘new normal’ all that. Traf pulled it out of the bag with the hotel, absolutely fantastic. Flew from East Midlands and was back at home within 2 hours of touching the tarmac so would certainly consider flying from there again. We stayed in the Travelodge the night before the flight and paid £127 for petrol, hotel and parking, saving £350ish compared to the Manchester flights on the same days. 

44 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

While still in Greece on Saturday, I received a text from Jet2 on my Fitbit that began with “we wanted to let you know that anyone travelling to the UK is now required to...” and absolutely shit myself. Turned out it was to tell us that we needed to complete a ‪“Passenger locator form” or we wouldn’t be allowed back in to the country. 

Took a fair while to feel in with plenty of repetition of questions in various formats to trip you up along with good old essay length government questions that doesn’t make any sense. What a crock of shit. Didn’t witness a single one even being asked for when we landed back. Complete contrast to the Greeks who were scanning everyone’s QR code and checking temperatures before even reaching passport control. UK really are just playing at it. ‬

Holiday-wise, felt perfectly safe in Greece and certainly passable for the ‘new normal’ all that. Traf pulled it out of the bag with the hotel, absolutely fantastic. Flew from East Midlands and was back at home within 2 hours of touching the tarmac so would certainly consider flying from there again. We stayed in the Travelodge the night before the flight and paid £127 for petrol, hotel and parking, saving £350ish compared to the Manchester flights on the same days. 

Glad you had an open mind to the suggestion and liked the hotel, mate.

We got there in the end 😉