Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Holidays

embankment

5 minutes ago, jmjhb said:

I'd be worried if I had a holiday in Greece or Croatia booked the next few weeks

Countries are/have ended lockdown and was always the case that infections would rise, localised lockdowns would suffice... seems our government totally lost it’s nerve. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

just come back from corfu, was temp checked every day, all restaraunt staff,bar staff and shops had screens on, had to wear a mask for shops and supermarkets if you went in, last day of holiday they imposed everywhere shuts at midnight, we all still had a great holiday and think we landed lucky,

but was speaking to the local doctor over there,and she was convinced there going to shut shop up in a few weeks due to rise in covid

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Countries are/have ended lockdown and was always the case that infections would rise, localised lockdowns would suffice... seems our government totally lost it’s nerve. 

Surely loosing their nerve would be to ignore sage advice, and do the popular thing of letting holiday makers just crack on?

Its clear these measures are deeply disappointing for folk, but if it helps to keep people safe..

Strange thing is Nicola sturgeon is doing similar or more stringent up North, but she's viewed (rightly) as having had a better approach. 

• Site Supporter
8 minutes ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

When you going 

10th September 

7 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Do a Rudy and build your own bar!

My brother has done it too. 

That's next year's project, patio and driveway to get sorted first

51 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Surely loosing their nerve would be to ignore sage advice, and do the popular thing of letting holiday makers just crack on?

Its clear these measures are deeply disappointing for folk, but if it helps to keep people safe..

Strange thing is Nicola sturgeon is doing similar or more stringent up North, but she's viewed (rightly) as having had a better approach. 

The rise in infections overseas  ain’t justifying the closing of airbridges in my opinion and at the same time allowing folk to go on holiday in the U.K. just don’t make sense to me. Either both are unsafe or both safe enough to take a risk. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

1 minute ago, Mounts Kipper said:

The rise in infections overseas  ain’t justifying the closing of airbridges in my opinion and at the same time allowing folk to go on holiday in the U.K. just don’t make sense to me. Either both are unsafe or both safe enough to take the risk. 

There is a certain logic; their infection is higher than ours.

But, hospitalisation and death rates are not, as yet, rising.

Safe, rather than sorry, or over cautious?

• Site Supporter
18 minutes ago, boltondiver said:

The impossible question.

No perfect scenario really. Over cautious and get panned for depriving people of a holiday abroad.

Too casual and get panned if/when folk come back infected.

I keep thinking about the words of Whitty. How we're close to the limits of what we can do.

So perhaps Boris' desire to get schools open has to be balanced by tightening up on travel.

Just been talking to a former teacher from Bury Grammar; her words were shut the pubs and open the schools!

6 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

The impossible question.

No perfect scenario really. Over cautious and get panned for depriving people of a holiday abroad.

Too casual and get panned if/when folk come back infected.

I keep thinking about the words of Whitty. How we're close to the limits of what we can do.

So perhaps Boris' desire to get schools open has to be balanced by tightening up on travel.

Just been talking to a former teacher from Bury Grammar; her words were shut the pubs and open the schools!

If Witty is right, then that’s a reasonable trade off.

Back to DFH

49 minutes ago, boltondiver said:

Infections only higher in localised areas so I think wildly over cautious. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

• Site Supporter
47 minutes ago, mickbrown said:

Any bugger been to Crete ever? Any good? 

Yes, it’s quality. Depends what you like. The ruins at Knossos is worth a butchers. If you like small, fishing village type places, Matala is lovely - cracking sunset. I was there the day we signed Laville on a permanent!

Anyhow, Elounda is a nice enough town as is Ag Nik. I think there are a few on here better placed to answer though, it’s gotta be nigh on 20 years since I was there

• Site Supporter
28 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

Yes, it’s quality. Depends what you like. The ruins at Knossos is worth a butchers. If you like small, fishing village type places, Matala is lovely - cracking sunset. I was there the day we signed Laville on a permanent!

Anyhow, Elounda is a nice enough town as is Ag Nik. I think there are a few on here better placed to answer though, it’s gotta be nigh on 20 years since I was there

About 30 years since I was in Malta, but it was good- especially if you could get away to the smaller places. Some lovely coves and clear sea.

• Site Supporter
7 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

About 30 years since I was in Malta, but it was good- especially if you could get away to the smaller places. Some lovely coves and clear sea.

Matala (not Malta), a Little village on the south of Crete

Sounds good. Now if Ryanair weren’t such cunts we’d be sorted, but no, they’re charging to change flights. If we’d booked our flights in June or July it’d be free, but because we had a bit of forward planning we’re getting stung. 

Serves me right I suppose for using a peasant’s airline