Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Holidays

embankment

• Site Supporter
5 minutes ago, L/H White said:

anyone been to venice recently?

gonna take the missus in Jan for her 30th

I was there a couple of years ago. I others will have a different point of view but I personally think Venice is far better being seen on tv and in photos.

The main tourist attractions are packed, the Rialto Bridge is a scruffy market and St Marks square is bloody expensive. As my missus said - it’s a floating shopping centre.

I suppose it depends on what you expect. At least there should be far less tourists in Jan than summer

11 minutes ago, L/H White said:

anyone been to venice recently?

gonna take the missus in Jan for her 30th

We went a couple of years back in January.
As you'd expect, it can get pretty chilly, but this is balanced out by the fact that it's far less busy.

Get out on the Lido for a bit of a change and also take her to Murano to see the glass being made.

April is towards the end of the dry season there so should be fine weather wise.

Tons to do if you're willing to get about a little and has a lot for everyone - rainforest canopy tours, white water rafting, volcano tours. I'd avoid the capital San Jose if you could though. Best off heading to the coast or mountains as soon as possible!

There are direct flights from Gatwick with BA 3 times weekly, but just as easy to go via Paris or Madrid (or the States). TUI fly to Liberia in the North West of the country too.

Edited by jmjhb

42 minutes ago, jmjhb said:

April is towards the end of the dry season there so should be fine weather wise.

Tons to do if you're willing to get about a little and has a lot for everyone - rainforest canopy tours, white water rafting, volcano tours. I'd avoid the capital San Jose if you could though. Best off heading to the coast or mountains as soon as possible!

There are direct flights from Gatwick with BA 3 times weekly, but just as easy to go via Paris or Madrid (or the States).

A wonderful place.

We had some great experiences

Favourites?

Probably Manuel Antonio and Drakes Bay, gateway to Corcovado, jungle

Just got back from a week in Mykonos for a friends wedding 

fantastic little island but they know how to charge 

ordered a bottle of Estrella on the beach, thankfully they had sold out as I later found out it was priced at 18 Euro a bottle (750ml) 

Four of us went into town and got a mixed gyro (Kebab) to share, add two small beers in and a glass of wine and your looking at 90 Euro 

not a place for children either 

Jack's Flights pumping out this email today.... great offers to USA.

To:

Las Vegas (LAS) - £232
Los Angeles (LAX) - £267
San Francisco - £223
Seattle (SEA) - £265
Chicago (ORD) - £260
Atlanta (ATL) - £237
Austin (AUS) - £289
New York (NYC) - £241
Boston (BOS) - £241
Orlando (MCO) - £228
Miami (MIA) - £245
Denver (DEN) - £279

Manchester (MAN)
Aberdeen (ABZ)
Newcastle (NCL)
Inverness (INV)
Glasgow (GLA)
Belfast (BHD)
Birmingham (BHX)
Travel Dates: October 2018 - June 2019 (excluding holidays)

Airline: American Airlines (for northern airports) & Swiss/United (for BHX)

Standard Fare: £500 - £650

Bags: Carry-on only in base fare or checked bag option using tip below

Book by: These fares may only last a day or two

4 hours ago, Smiley said:

Costa Rica is bob-on!! Was lucky enough to do a tour from Atlantic coast to Pacific coast about 15 years ago with work. Volcanoes, cloud forests, animal sanctuaries, sloths!, jungles, riverboat rides.... and pretty decent beaches on the Pacific side.

Yeah there's all sorts to do, and it's a relatively small country too. 

Corcovado as previously mentioned is beautiful and then there's mountains and volcanoes in the middle. The Lake Arenal area is very nice. They don't call it the Switzerland of Central America for nothing!