Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Holidays

embankment

29 minutes ago, Rudy’s Message said:

Zagreb, beautiful city, £1.60 a beer. I’d come back.

18 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

Went a couple of years ago, lovely place for a city break. I love Croatia

I was in Dubrovnik a few weeks ago, beautiful city but £6 a pint within the walls.

I'd go back to Croatia or Montenegro again though, both great places.

• Members
23 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

Went a couple of years ago, lovely place for a city break. I love Croatia

3 minutes ago, Burndens Bogs said:

I was in Dubrovnik a few weeks ago, beautiful city but £6 a pint within the walls.

I'd go back to Croatia or Montenegro again though, both great places.

I’ll definitely be coming back

• Site Supporter
13 hours ago, Burndens Bogs said:

Quite fancy Split, anyone been? Is it a Yay or a nay?

Definitely a YAY from me. We did a bit of a tour of Croatia, finished off in Split.

The front is a bit like Cannes if you've been there but not as big and not up it's own arse either. Then there is the old section which is only just set back from the promenade. Can't remember what it's called but its like being inside the city walls. Lots of bars and restaurants in this section and even opens up into a semi night club if that's your thing. Plenty going on to enjoy a few nights over there.

You are also not far from Trogir either if you fancy a 2 centre holiday - Split and Trogir are about 15 miles either side of the airport.

The good old "Croatia" posts!! Seem to come around time and time again.

Great place, as is Montenegro, as some of my esteemed other posters have pointed out. Well worth travelling around if you get chance to see various places rather than just staying put. Zadar was good to explore Plitvice and a few islands off the coast. Dubrovnik good to see Mostar, Cavtat, Kotor and Budva - plus the islands of Korcula, Hvar, Mljet, etc. Cheap flight into Tivat and you'll get to explore Kotor and Budva and further afield in Montenegro like Sveti Stefan, Lovcen (views from the monastery on top of the mountain are incredible) and Cetinje.

Definitely fancy Split sometime and Ljubljana and Bled.

• Site Supporter
49 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

Definitely a YAY from me. We did a bit of a tour of Croatia, finished off in Split.

The front is a bit like Cannes if you've been there but not as big and not up it's own arse either. Then there is the old section which is only just set back from the promenade. Can't remember what it's called but its like being inside the city walls. Lots of bars and restaurants in this section and even opens up into a semi night club if that's your thing. Plenty going on to enjoy a few nights over there.

You are also not far from Trogir either if you fancy a 2 centre holiday - Split and Trogir are about 15 miles either side of the airport.

14 hours ago, Burndens Bogs said:

Quite fancy Split, anyone been? Is it a Yay or a nay?

I went earlier this year.

Really enjoyed it. It's not as commercial or as expensive as Dubrovnik but still got some history.

That area is all behind the Diocletian palace. They've done a good job in blending in the old stuff with the new.

It's a good base for getting around the islands too.

Thailand getting sorted for March for me not been for a couple of years so very much looking forward to it. Great place 

hopefully bump into bassini while I’m out there but suspect he will be frequenting very different places. 

as an aside got a voucher as a leaving present for my last job for the banyan tree in Bangkok. Had a look last night. It’s £11 for a bottle of Chang lager. Fuck that. Same bottle 60p In 7/11

27 minutes ago, Smiley said:

The good old "Croatia" posts!! Seem to come around time and time again.

Great place, as is Montenegro, as some of my esteemed other posters have pointed out. Well worth travelling around if you get chance to see various places rather than just staying put. Zadar was good to explore Plitvice and a few islands off the coast. Dubrovnik good to see Mostar, Cavtat, Kotor and Budva - plus the islands of Korcula, Hvar, Mljet, etc. Cheap flight into Tivat and you'll get to explore Kotor and Budva and further afield in Montenegro like Sveti Stefan, Lovcen (views from the monastery on top of the mountain are incredible) and Cetinje.

Definitely fancy Split sometime and Ljubljana and Bled.

Bigs thumbs up for Ljubljana & Bled. Slovenia is a beautiful country. The folk are nice too 👍

3 hours ago, DirtySanchez said:

Did Porec in the north 

Heavy Italian influence in terms of architecture, food etc. Small place so easy to get round 

Nearby places like Pula and Rovinj well worth a visit as well.

Did them when it was still Yugoslavia! Pretty sure Rovinj got a good twatting in the war.

58 minutes ago, Smiley said:

Did them when it was still Yugoslavia! Pretty sure Rovinj got a good twatting in the war.

Think Dubrovnik got twatted too, we went there last year in July and it was absolutely rammed with tourists, far too busy and I heard the same about Split, if I was to go again, I would go maybe slightly out of season, say May or October time.

• Site Supporter
5 hours ago, DirtySanchez said:

Did Porec in the north 

Heavy Italian influence in terms of architecture, food etc. Small place so easy to get round 

Nearby places like Pula and Rovinj well worth a visit as well.

Had a look at these, looks like my sort of places. Definitely on the maybe list for next summer

1 hour ago, Biggish Dave said:

Had a look at these, looks like my sort of places. Definitely on the maybe list for next summer

Stayed in Hotel Neptun in Porec If my memory serves me well. Right on seafront and everything a stone throw away. 

Got told though dont wander off into the countryside that surrounds it as there's probably landmines they've yet to find from the war 

Edited by DirtySanchez

3 hours ago, Blondi said:

Think Dubrovnik got twatted too, we went there last year in July and it was absolutely rammed with tourists, far too busy and I heard the same about Split, if I was to go again, I would go maybe slightly out of season, say May or October time.

It deffo got twatted. The city walls bear all the hallmarks 

Thing it was more because it is seen as the 'jewel' of Croatia so a sort of psychological attack rather than a strategic one 

3 hours ago, Smiley said:

Mostar definitely got a beating. Lots of bullet holes in walls, etc.

On the boat from Cavtat to Dubrovnik, there's a cluster of abandoned hotels that took a proper twatting during the war in the 90's;

Kupari/Zupa bay area, very interesting history-

https://www.kathmanduandbeyond.com/bay-of-abandoned-hotels-kupari-croatia/ 

Edited by Burndens Bogs

10 minutes ago, ErnestTurnip said:

Any recommendations for a town/city break in the UK but not Liverpool, Manchester, Edinburgh, York, Chester. Two/three days with just the wife, leave car at hotel, mooch about seeing sights, summat to eat, couple of beers here and there type of affair ?

Harrogates good, as is Keswick or Bowness.