Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Bolton v Derby

miamiwhite

It is about time we competed against Derby. Twice I went to the Baseball Ground - first time in the old Division One lost 3-0 evening game. Returned for the 3-1 FA Cup defeat Andy Walker scored but missed an absolute sitter at either 1-1 or 2-1 horrible memories. Last season sulking after the match I picked up a discarded program leaving the Macron and looked at their squad - it was ridiculous the difference in quality. I reckon Derby had potentially a full team aside from those on the pitch and bench stronger than Wanderers could assemble. It wont be any different on Saturday but fuck em I hate Derby. Worst ever ever 0-0 will be fine but I suspect it wont happen.

Have a really poor recollection of a midweek cup match at Pride Park. Sure we won. Could be wrong.

(EDIT - bloody hell, always manage to dig out some random memories when it comes to football - don't know what I had for my lunch today though!)

https://www.11v11.com/matches/derby-county-v-bolton-wanderers-13-october-1999-621/

Edited by Smiley

3 minutes ago, Marc505 said:

Think it's just that time of the year but I've never heard of so many ST holders not making it tomorrow for one reason or another, me included, I'm at Roma v Lazio.

Seems a few don’t they

my lad seems to have lost interest now not the most entertaining for a 9 year old recent home games 

2 minutes ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

Seems a few don’t they

my lad seems to have lost interest now not the most entertaining for a 9 year old recent home games 

We need a home performance that really stirs everyone into life, all our best moments so far have been away which is great for traveling fans but for people who can only go to home matches... Think I'd rather stay in bed!

5 minutes ago, Marc505 said:

We need a home performance that really stirs everyone into life, all our best moments so far have been away which is great for traveling fans but for people who can only go to home matches... Think I'd rather stay in bed!

Think it’s a combination of everything at home poor performance ticket prices no trains it all makes a difference especially to floating pay on day fans 

after last seasons start I just managed to keep him going by throwing a few aways in.

• Site Supporter
42 minutes ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

Seems a few don’t they

I feel your pain. Daft thing is my lad was more into the QPR game than I've seen him previously.

It was me who was the more resigned.

Would like to see Oztumer start tomorrow and either Doidge or Wildshut, we have to be more adventurous at home. 

Been to all away games except Boro and even though we have sat back, we have had our moments in all those games, whereas QPR and Sheffield Utd at home, were poor and way too defensive. I can see where the apathy comes from.

Edited by white noise
Spelling

There was a time I could remember pretty much any scoreline and scorers of any of our matches in the previous 20/25 years. Obviously a sign of getting old but I have no recollection of either match mentioned above.

I remember a 3-1 home win in about 1981. Alan Gowling scored two iirc. I was at the Baseball ground (85?) when Asa Hartford scored a beauty after a neat one two with George Oghani. Still lost mind..

11 hours ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

Seems a few don’t they

My son and his mate (aged 21) have loved the aways at WBA and PNE but the home games leave them bored and disinterested. 1 is going to watch Athy Colls tomorrow and 1 is meeting friends in bolton, so that's another 2 season tickets unused that will be counted in the false attendance figures.

6 hours ago, Duck Egg said:

There was a time I could remember pretty much any scoreline and scorers of any of our matches in the previous 20/25 years. Obviously a sign of getting old but I have no recollection of either match mentioned above.

I remember a 3-1 home win in about 1981. Alan Gowling scored two iirc. I was at the Baseball ground (85?) when Asa Hartford scored a beauty after a neat one two with George Oghani. Still lost mind..

That 3-1 win was, I think, in FA Cup. One of the few home games I've missed in 38 years as I was at a wedding with a radio under the table. Baseball Ground 85-86 was the first game I drove too after getting a car. Remember the ticker tape that said BWFC Wembley 86 on? And it came true v Bristol City 2 months later.

Guest Derbyfan

Derby fan in peace.

Coming with my young kids.

Can you just turn up at the ground and buy tickets easily? Put ground in sat nav and just drive straight to the ground?? Ta for any help.

Be interesting how we play after Tues.

Let us get into our stride and play football and we could give you a lesson as we have skill and pace out wide.  Mount is a future international and we want to play good football.

However, keep it tight, get in our faces and play early ball or in the air we can get over ran. Nugent is hardworking but not prolific and the other strikers arent getting  a look-in due to the way he works so hard.

• Moderators
25 minutes ago, Derbyfan said:

Derby fan in peace.

Can you just turn up at the ground and buy tickets easily?

You can for the home end so don't see why you can't for the away end

I'd not leave it past 2.30 or you might end up in a big queue, though that's not a reflection of high demand or big crowds

And park on Tesco, it's free

29 minutes ago, Derbyfan said:

Derby fan in peace.

Can you just turn up at the ground and buy tickets easily? Put ground in sat nav and just drive straight to the ground?? Ta for any help.

Be interesting how we play after Tues.

Let us get into our stride and play football and we could give you a lesson as we have skill and pace out wide.  Mount is a future international and we want to play good football.

However, keep it tight, get in our faces and play early ball or in the air we can get over ran. Nugent is hardworking but not prolific and the other strikers arent getting  a look-in due to the way he works so hard.

We’ll knock it long plenty but I can’t imagine we’ll be overrunning you at any point. 

Guest Derbyfan

Thanks. Much of a walk? No parking restrictions? 

Seemingly not much positivity on this forum. From an outsider you seem to have started well, considering the turmoil you have had recent years?

Derby fans are on a high, Frank is instantly likeable, has got in players with lots of potential and so expectations are rapidly rising...I think someone will get a thrashing soon. However,  still fear we have a soft underbelly and a bit of a lack of pace in center mid if you get about us.

40 minutes ago, Derbyfan said:

Thanks. Much of a walk? No parking restrictions? 

Seemingly not much positivity on this forum. From an outsider you seem to have started well, considering the turmoil you have had recent years?

Derby fans are on a high, Frank is instantly likeable, has got in players with lots of potential and so expectations are rapidly rising...I think someone will get a thrashing soon. However,  still fear we have a soft underbelly and a bit of a lack of pace in center mid if you get about us.

The general opinion from away fans is that the official car park at the ground is over priced & tricky to get off. The Tesco car park is nearest & free though you are supposed to be a customer -leave a shopping bag on the seat !!! -  but if you don't want to risk it, there is cheap parking at St Josephs school , with a 5/10 minute walk to the ground(BL66HW) , turn left at the Beehive on Chorley New Rd or free street parking on the opposite side of CNR.

Most of us recognise what a great job Phil Parkinson is doing for us but the reality is that we have a squad of free transfers & loanees, & on paper cannot compete with the likes of Derby. That's why we have quite low expectations !!!