Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Bolton v Roverrrrs

Burndens Bogs

6 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

I really didn’t see the attraction with Ricardo. Only relative to the division but I honestly thought Burke was better for the cause. That said, it’s like saying John Thomas was better to the cause than Owen Coyle.

Burke better for the cause than Gardner. Fucking hell you on Turps tonight.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, stevieb said:

Bad do that. Really thought we'd have got a goal. Kick in the nads getting the pen overturned but it was offside. 

Oztumer is too one footed and a dwarf. Too many times we got a cross in the box and it was to the oompa loompah rather than the 6ft macgennis. 

Hobbs (or whoever the centre back is) looked alright today. 

Grounds is wank. Stop picking him please! 

Harsh, and factually incorrect

Simon Charlton has to be mentioned in any ‘best left back’ conversation of recent(ish) years. And, erm, Henrik Pedersen. The fact that we’re seemingly missing Taylor probably speaks volumes of the general opinion of Grounds, though I thought some of the criticism tonight was over the top at times (discounting the goal). 

14 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Simon Charlton has to be mentioned in any ‘best left back’ conversation of recent(ish) years. And, erm, Henrik Pedersen. The fact that we’re seemingly missing Taylor probably speaks volumes of the general opinion of Grounds, though I thought some of the criticism tonight was over the top at times (discounting the goal). 

A big yes for Charlton 

1 hour ago, Biggish Dave said:

Did you honestly rate Ricardo as a left back? He was ok going forward but poor defender. Take the roses off

Poor defender? Was he bollocks. He was evertythung you’d want in a modern full back. Covered the centre backs very well too. 

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, bwfcfan5 said:

It’s not harsh it’s spot on. People wanking over Oztumer, but he’s a shit Mark Davies. And Mark Davies was not all that great. 

Harsh on the amount of games he's had.

Don't think anyone's been wanking over him yet, just recognised his talent, let's give him some more games

• Site Supporter
14 minutes ago, bwfcfan5 said:

Poor defender? Was he bollocks. He was evertythung you’d want in a modern full back. Covered the centre backs very well too. 

Very few things you come out with I agree with and this is yet another. Glad I don’t know you on a personal level. Every chance you’re a decent bloke, I just don’t think we’d be mates though

Oztumer's a lad who's come up from League 1. He isn't a world beater and his radar was a bit off second half but we look a lot more like a football team with him in it than not. Our defenders have more confidence to pass it out of defence rather than hoof it because they think he'll keep hold of it in a tight area (which he more than often did). Williams looked happier and had a good game with someone close by who wasn't shit scared of having the ball, who he could exchange a couple of passes with. 

Far bigger issues than him are Wildschut and Grounds. Wildschut was horrendous and has been a massive disappointment; it's all been said about Grounds. Absolute shite.

Tough one to take overall, yes we didn't turn a lot of decent situations into chances and efforts due to poor crosses or final balls but the response to their goal was very good and we were unlucky not to go in level at half time. 

Still the same beef as previous weeks though, too conservative, set up not to lose rather than win, shackles only thrown off when behind time running out again. Once PP eventually put the wingers on their right sides Oztumer and Williams had more space and we moved the ball about well. Doidge only getting about 11 minutes again was ridiculous. We've signed a bloke who's scored 50 goals in two seasons for God's sake, he won't get many getting 10 minutes here and 10 minutes there. Offside or not he showed that eye for goal for the pen that wasn't, there's a very good partnership in him and Magennis but I doubt we'll ever see it develop, which is an absolute waste.

2 minutes ago, ianofrochdale said:

Oztumer's a lad who's come up from League 1. He isn't a world beater and his radar was a bit off second half but we look a lot more like a football team with him in it than not. Our defenders have more confidence to pass it out of defence rather than hoof it because they think he'll keep hold of it in a tight area (which he more than often did). Williams looked happier and had a good game with someone close by who wasn't shit scared of having the ball, who he could exchange a couple of passes with. 

Far bigger issues than him are Wildschut and Grounds. Wildschut was horrendous and has been a massive disappointment; it's all been said about Grounds. Absolute shite.

Tough one to take overall, yes we didn't turn a lot of decent situations into chances and efforts due to poor crosses or final balls but the response to their goal was very good and we were unlucky not to go in level at half time. 

Still the same beef as previous weeks though, too conservative, set up not to lose rather than win, shackles only thrown off when behind time running out again. Once PP eventually put the wingers on their right sides Oztumer and Williams had more space and we moved the ball about well. Doidge only getting about 11 minutes again was ridiculous. We've signed a bloke who's scored 50 goals in two seasons for God's sake, he won't get many getting 10 minutes here and 10 minutes there. Offside or not he showed that eye for goal for the pen that wasn't, there's a very good partnership in him and Magennis but I doubt we'll ever see it develop, which is an absolute waste.

Well said,  wasted with Parkinson’s set up really pointless signing 

2 hours ago, worthy10 said:

There is a slow dawning realisation that we will seriously struggle again. We have had a few surprising result, but each week it stares us in the face. If we had Sack tonight, we win. All too often we will be wishing we had opposition players and that isn't sustainable.

As I've said from the moment we stayed up last season and despite all the mouth from Ken, I'm delighted with 21st again this time.

Disappointed with today, they did nothing bar score, yet I don't recall us peppering them with shots either. We have the tools in our squad to do some damage, it's just how we use them.

I actually think Oztumer is a proper footballer, the more he's in our starting lineup the better.

1 hour ago, bwfcfan5 said:

It’s not harsh it’s spot on. People wanking over Oztumer, but he’s a shit Mark Davies. And Mark Davies was not all that great. 

Why is everything so fucking right or wrong? Could he just not have had his best game? He was still the person in our team that wanted the ball the most, I’d guess he still completed the most passes. I don’t think he had a brilliant game, but that also doesn’t mean that I think he’s the shittest of the shit like you seem to have already decided he is. Stop trying to be so controversial you cock, he’ll play a big part in our season.

• Members
3 minutes ago, Adlington Trotter said:

Been speaking to a few rovers fans tonight who gladly admit they were lucky.

They pretty much did to us what we did to Derby last week. They had few chances, took one, then defended well.

Fuck it, it happens. We were definitely unlucky today. But I've seen enough to be think we're good enough to stay up.

This is where I am at. Elated when we got the penalty only to be quickly deflated.

Really hate losing to those fuckers though.

6 hours ago, Eddie said:

Why is everything so fucking right or wrong? Could he just not have had his best game? He was still the person in our team that wanted the ball the most, I’d guess he still completed the most passes. I don’t think he had a brilliant game, but that also doesn’t mean that I think he’s the shittest of the shit like you seem to have already decided he is. Stop trying to be so controversial you cock, he’ll play a big part in our season.

He’s not shit, he’s just nowhere near the player some make him out to be. Has to do far more in terms of producing and scoring goals than he has so far to justify playing where he is. Behind the striker.

He’s not close to being someone you’d build a team around right now and he’s getting lots of the ball in space and doing nothing of note with it. I don’t think he’d start for many if any other championship sides on his current form.

59 minutes ago, bwfcfan5 said:

He’s not shit, he’s just nowhere near the player some make him out to be. Has to do far more in terms of producing and scoring goals than he has so far to justify playing where he is. Behind the striker.

He’s not close to being someone you’d build a team around right now and he’s getting lots of the ball in space and doing nothing of note with it. I don’t think he’d start for many if any other championship sides on his current form.

And what are some making him out to be? 

Our best footballer? He is. The one player who can keep hold of the ball and doesn’t panic when it’s near him? He is. The one player in an advanced position who has the ability to see a pass no one else sees? He is. Albeit in a very limited squad. No more no less than that 

”has far more to do in terms of producing and scoring goals”... yes he does but the fella is living off scraps playing behind Magennis and trying to create anything off his chest downs or balls that are fizzed in to him at head height (everyone else’s chest) 

The guy scored 50 goals in 2 seasons. people (probably you) can argue it was league 1 and the step up is big but it isn’t down to just that fact. It all boils down yet again to how we play. Our style isn’t getting the best out of him. You don’t score 50 goals in 2 seasons at any level without having that eye for goal and ability to see things. Your just either blind to it or so entrenched in your view that what PP is doing is correct your ignoring it. 

Weve has the lowest number of shots on target in the whole league. Yet you say he needs to score more goals? maybe look at the bigger picture to see why he isn’t and acknowledge in order to see that from him your king has to change things 

Edited by barrycowdrill