Burndens Bogs

2 hours ago, barrycowdrill said:

Where’s that heat map 

edit: our 2nd striker

695BF162-77B0-48BF-8DB0-D4124539FF43.jpeg

I don't think anyone would argue different

I think it comes down to the reason behind this

You say PP's set-up

Others may say it was his lack of discipline in holding position / frustration maybe?

It's probably somewhere in between

Not allowed that on Bipolarways though :-)

34 minutes ago, jules_darby said:

You say PP's set-up

Others may say it was his lack of discipline in holding position / frustration maybe?

He's playing as a number 10 - behind a striker, but in effect is a second striker in that he's not dropping back when we lose the ball immediately. He picks the ball up in a variety of areas but the other version of the heat map Iles posted showed majority of his touches were in their half. The problem with Oztumer is (and I fear like Mark Davies) he's not an outright number 10 - playing in the hole, because he's neither quite strong nor quick enough to directly play around teams back four. Nor is he really a playmaker who can control the game in the middle of the park as he's not quite physical enough nor quite skillful enough. So he's a weird in between player. He scored goals for Walsall and looks like he has a decent shot on him, but the championship is a different beast. He was the main man at Walsall with freedom in a lower league to drag them to safety through his performances. But the step up is not easy as we've seen. 

I like that he works hard and his first touch is excellent. But footballers aren't judged on first touch alone and I fear the rest of his game is "not quite good enough" for a championship creative player. It might be that we need him to be too good as we lack in that area - especially without Ameobi. In fairness to Oz I think he'll link well with Ameobi when he's fit. 

• Site Supporter
22 hours ago, barrycowdrill said:

Wherever he gets the ball he isn’t the fucking problem it’s a complete lack of options, runners, supporting players in and around him that is. 

It baffles me what game you watch 99.9% of the time it really does. 

The one creative player we have is hardly in the game. When he is his options are minimal and therefore his impact is questionable. That I give you 

that isn’t his fucking fault. When you have someone who can give you something extra you work out a plan on how to get that out of him. Don’t bypass it. I don’t understand why your unwilling to acknowledge  that? 

Dont worry PP won’t put you in the outside kennel if you slightly criticise him you know 

Totally agree. 

Fwiw, I'm not sure it's right playing him off a lone striker, unless wide men support well and get into box and score more.

I know it was a different era, but one of the best attacking midfielders was Paul scholes. Wasn't played too far up the pitch, but would pick up the ball wherever, use it well and get things going, then get into the box at the right time.

Obviously can't make too many comparisons but I reckon it's a waste employing him too far forward.

As our wide men generally don't cut it, what about playing little on the right in front of pav? He would bring greater solidity and also some decent crosses.

8 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Totally agree. 

Fwiw, I'm not sure it's right playing him off a lone striker, unless wide men support well and get into box and score more.

I know it was a different era, but one of the best attacking midfielders was Paul scholes. Wasn't played too far up the pitch, but would pick up the ball wherever, use it well and get things going, then get into the box at the right time.

Obviously can't make too many comparisons but I reckon it's a waste employing him too far forward.

As our wide men generally don't cut it, what about playing little on the right in front of pav? He would bring greater solidity and also some decent crosses.

Get what you're saying and I agree we need to keep him away from centre halves generally - but blimey - Scholes was the best player of his type for generation or more. I think Oztumer is lacking the passing calmness and quality and decision making to be able to do that.

As for Little - I like that idea. However, no doubt it would be described as "Parky playing 5 defenders WTF".....

What about switching Oztumer with one of the wide players - probably Buckley and letting Oz play inside from the right hand side a bit.....give Olkowski more licence to get forward and patrol that flank and have Buckley supporting the striker....or Noone. I personally think we need more physical presence around Magennis. And Noone and Buckley both work hard but don't really cut it as wingers as they cannot beat their full back. 

3 hours ago, jules_darby said:

You say PP's set-up

Yeh I suppose. We’ve seen it time and again with players in that position having the ball in the wrong areas. Mainly because when they’re not in the game they go looking for the ball

in terms of maintaining the sides shape that’s the wrong thing to do but these types of players want to be involved and dictating everything

it seems quite contradictory of me to say this but if anything he needs to be a little closer to his midfield men than Magennis at the minute. Rather than gambling on knock downs, have Lowe and Williams win it, give it him straight away and let him work a bit of magic. Then he can really start to control a game

That then needs your wide men to be options too and as said above Buckley and Noone aren’t the ones for that

hopefully Ameobi is 

20 minutes ago, barrycowdrill said:

Yeh I suppose. We’ve seen it time and again with players in that position having the ball in the wrong areas. Mainly because when they’re not in the game they go looking for the ball

in terms of maintaining the sides shape that’s the wrong thing to do but these types of players want to be involved and dictating everything

it seems quite contradictory of me to say this but if anything he needs to be a little closer to his midfield men than Magennis at the minute. Rather than gambling on knock downs, have Lowe and Williams win it, give it him straight away and let him work a bit of magic. Then he can really start to control a game

That then needs your wide men to be options too and as said above Buckley and Noone aren’t the ones for that

hopefully Ameobi is 

Yeah, I actually reckon that had Buckley, Noone and Wildschut been on it on Saturday, it alleviates the problem hugely

Noone and Wildschut especially just seemed brain dead. Their decision making and execution was terrible.

I was clamouring for Noone to play last year, as his energy in cameos was a breath of fresh air; I can see now why Buckley kept him out of the side despite not firing on all cylinders himself. PP did know best after all. We definitely miss Ameobi, but as mentioned above by another poster, he's a 1 in 3-4 player, which is also worrying.

I think this break has come at the right time for us....

• The topic was unpinned