Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Stoke v Bolton.

miamiwhite

Thought it was okay, nice to see ten outfield players comfortable on the ball, not seen that for a while. I also thought the new centre back partnership looked promising. As said before we cannot compete with their spending power, although at times they were rattled at the back. They are finding their feet in this division and will be promotion contenders.

Another positive from last night that I’d forgotten about was Wildschut. Every time I’d seen him previously he just looked like a head down, run fast, athlete first footballer second but last night I thought he looked tidy. We know his pace will scare full backs but he also beat the right back a few times, linked play a bit and hit an unreal volley that was flying into the top corner if Ashley Williams didn’t somehow manage to get his head to it (that would have made the last 10 minutes + stoppage time interesting).

I still think he’ll be hit and miss because he’s that type of all or nothing player but he showed enough last night for me to think he’s not a lost cause.

• The topic was unpinned
4 hours ago, bwfcfan5 said:

Not sure that is "safe to say". The concept of "best player" is an odd one. But right now if I had to choose a player to be injured Oztumer would be one I could say we'd cope without.

Lowe, Olkowski, Wheater, Magennis are critical to us. Ameobi too when he's back.

Oztumer is tidy and will improve but done nothing yet of note. 

Id hate to watch a team you managed 

6 hours ago, bwfcfan5 said:

Not sure that is "safe to say". The concept of "best player" is an odd one. But right now if I had to choose a player to be injured Oztumer would be one I could say we'd cope without.

Lowe, Olkowski, Wheater, Magennis are critical to us. Ameobi too when he's back.

Oztumer is tidy and will improve but done nothing yet of note. 

I think that even in his brief appearances Oz has shown that he can shoot from edge of box range, including that great finish at Leeds. Nobody else is good enough to shoot. I agree Olkowski is fairly irreplaceable but Lowe (O'Neill), Wheater (Wilson) and Magennis (Doidge) are replaceable. Nobody offers half the creativity of Oz, apart from Ameobi, and I accept we lose something defensively when Oz plays. 

3 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I think that even in his brief appearances Oz has shown that he can shoot from edge of box range, including that great finish at Leeds. Nobody else is good enough to shoot. I agree Olkowski is fairly irreplaceable but Lowe (O'Neill), Wheater (Wilson) and Magennis (Doidge) are replaceable. Nobody offers half the creativity of Oz, apart from Ameobi, and I accept we lose something defensively when Oz plays. 

Magennis (Doidge) ? Really? Hardly like for like.

I think I've already seen enough of Doidge to decide he couldn't put a shift in like Magennis has done the last two games.

8 hours ago, Traf said:

Magennis (Doidge) ? Really? Hardly like for like.

I think I've already seen enough of Doidge to decide he couldn't put a shift in like Magennis has done the last two games.

This. Doidge may have other qualities but certainly battling up front and being a nuisance like Magennis is, aren't amongst them!

18 hours ago, Eddie said:

Another positive from last night that I’d forgotten about was Wildschut. Every time I’d seen him previously he just looked like a head down, run fast, athlete first footballer second but last night I thought he looked tidy. We know his pace will scare full backs but he also beat the right back a few times, linked play a bit and hit an unreal volley that was flying into the top corner if Ashley Williams didn’t somehow manage to get his head to it (that would have made the last 10 minutes + stoppage time interesting).

I still think he’ll be hit and miss because he’s that type of all or nothing player but he showed enough last night for me to think he’s not a lost cause.

Wildshutt cost us 2 goals in 2 games by playing a square pass across the midfield to no cunt in particular leaving Preston and QPR to hit us on the counter.